G-League to Vote on Unionization | The Boneyard

G-League to Vote on Unionization

Reaction Score
Looks like the G-League players are voting tomorrow to unionize. If they do, I get the feeling like some of ways the G-League is downplayed as an alternative to college (unglamorous lifestyle, low pay) will be addressed. Right now the base salary is only $35,000 - and this is the result of a recent raise. They won't get close to the kind of amenities & salaries of the NBA, but the potential to even make $100,000 or $200,000 might be much more preferable to college for some players. Fascinating to see what happens.

Reaction Score
I find this very interesting. I wonder how this will play along with the whole paying NCAA players thing going on. I just searched to see if there was a vote result but nothing came up.

Reaction Score
I find this very interesting. I wonder how this will play along with the whole paying NCAA players thing going on. I just searched to see if there was a vote result but nothing came up.
Same, nothing in the news that I can see. I imagine that a union vote in these circumstances could take a while to count and verify though.

Reaction Score
Same, nothing in the news that I can see. I imagine that a union vote in these circumstances could take a while to count and verify though.
I don't know much about the coaching and attendance at G League events but who knows, if kids just wanna play and there's better loot there, I am curious to see if these teams would even recruit some youngsters. Who knows?

Reaction Score
the g-league needs to be on tv before they can really get the best high school players consistently, if that’s the goal.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Saw this in another thread: Nix decommits from UCLA to join G League

Feels like we're going to see more of this, though not sure how much exactly
This is terrible for both the NBA and college ball. No one is going to tune in to Souix Falls vs Grand Rapids over Kentucky vs Florida because Dieshen Nix is playing. The NBA has a built in FREE popular minor league in college ball. Why is the NBA forcing kids to go to college for a year then turning around and trying to pry away all the top talent? Why not just eliminate the stupid one year rule?

Reaction Score
This is terrible for both the NBA and college ball. No one is going to tune in to Souix Falls vs Grand Rapids over Kentucky vs Florida because Dieshen Nix is playing. The NBA has a built in FREE popular minor league in college ball. Why is the NBA forcing kids to go to college for a year then turning around and trying to pry away all the top talent? Why not just eliminate the stupid one year rule?
The NBA pushed for the 1 year rule because it is difficult for teams to properly assess players' abilities based on their high school performance, and teams were drafting busts (which are very costly mistakes). Even 1 year in college makes scouting much easier. From the NBA's perspective, I don't see why they'd care whether players spend 1 year in the NCAA or in the G-League. (This isn't to defend the 1-year rule - I think it's ultimately bad for both college basketball and players.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom