G-League Salary Increase | The Boneyard

G-League Salary Increase

Reaction Score
That's a huge % bump for those players. Not bad when you consider that it's only a 5 month season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The free housing is pretty big when you consider the salary level.

With the caveat being the quality of the housing. I would think from the teams' stand point, having some pre arranged quarters at known locations where the team pays rent directly is preferable to giving players the stipend and them finding housing on their own.

Reaction Score
With the caveat being the quality of the housing. I would think from the teams' stand point, having some pre arranged quarters at known locations where the team pays rent directly is preferable to giving players the stipend and them finding housing on their own.
I'm imagine they provide corporate apartments like any other company does.

Will anyone use the $35K for tuition at a local community college!
I don't understand why they don't make this $70K, that's a rounding error on a middle of the road NBA contract and they'd get a boat-load more players by providing a living wage. If I'm the NBA I go for the jugular right now vs NCAA.

Reaction Score
I think the housing will be mostly utilized by the younger players in the league. I doubt guys like Andre Ingram will opt for a Gleague apartment with a wife and kids, but for the young cats this is huge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think it'll become de rigueur. Unless the salaries go to a $100k+.

Main reason being is that it's much harder to make the NBA from the G league. Easier to beat up on college kids and get in the draft. You can ride 'measurables' (height/athleticism) from college into the league. Much, much harder from the G league, where you are fighting older, hungrier pros for PT night in night out.

Reaction Score

I don't understand why they don't make this $70K, that's a rounding error on a middle of the road NBA contract and they'd get a boat-load more players by providing a living wage. If I'm the NBA I go for the jugular right now vs NCAA.

That's a $10 million increase in payroll for the league, which presumably loses money already.

Reaction Score

But why would they do that when the NCAA trains and weeds out the potential NBA players for free?

Reaction Score
But why would they do that when the NCAA trains and weeds out the potential NBA players for free?
Because the NCAA is a billion dollar business and by building the Gleague into the 2nd best league in the world you’d eat some of that market. If the top 10 highschool kids each year went to the Gleague instead of the ncaa don’t you think people would watch the league.

Reaction Score
Because the NCAA is a billion dollar business and by building the Gleague into the 2nd best league in the world you’d eat some of that market. If the top 10 highschool kids each year went to the Gleague instead of the ncaa don’t you think people would watch the league.

No. I wouldn't care until they were in the NBA.

Reaction Score
No. I wouldn't care until they were in the NBA.
Well that’s just you, that the thing about markets they are bigger than tge individual tastes of a single consumer. For example would I watch My Little Pony, no because I’m a grown man, but theres a market full of other grown men that fuel the show.

Reaction Score
Well that’s just you, that the thing about markets they are bigger than tge individual tastes of a single consumer. For example would I watch My Little Pony, no because I’m a grown man, but theres a market full of other grown men that fuel the show.
People watch college basketball to root for the laundry probably more than any other sport except for CFB. I don't think the popularity of CBB would suffer at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom