FYI: Akinjo and Salesian playing for the Division 3 title tomorrow at 1pm PT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FYI: Akinjo and Salesian playing for the Division 3 title tomorrow at 1pm PT

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Back from the game. First time watching high school basketball in awhile. Here are my thoughts:

Campolindo was overmatched from the start. James played OK. He started off the game with a really impressive assist and showed good instincts as a facilitator. He didn't shoot it particularly well but he hit his free throws when it counted. He plays in control and was stoic -- no flares of emotion, just down to business all the time. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that he started to drive with any regularity, and those drives generally ended with him dumping it off. On the defensive end, he's got good lateral quickness, shuffling his feet to stay in front of his defender. He had an impressive block with about 2 minutes to go; really rose up to swat a layup attempt.

The biggest facepalm/shame moment happened when he was at the line with about 5 minutes left and the opposing students started chanting "N.I.T. N.I.T." That one really cut deep. And those students don't even know that we're two games out of even _being eligible_ for the N.I.T.

As @Scrutiner said, the Salesian center (Te'Jon Sawyer) was really impressive. He's a 6'7" 260lb sophomore who showed deft touch around the basket. Campo didn't have anyone to match up with him, so he had his way inside. He also had great form on his FTs, missing just one (I think he was something like 6-7 from the line). Didn't seem to be very athletic but he showed really nice footwork. I'm not a scout but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get high-major attention, particularly if he keeps growing.

I'm pretty sure Salesian now qualified for the CIF basketball championship tournament (California Interscholastic Federation) which starts Wednesday. The bracket should be out tomorrow evening.

C

Chief00

Couple reasons it scares me if true:

1)Chief was invited to a recruiting strategy meeting
2)Within that meeting the most basic necessities where applied to the point guard position and the people within that meeting seemingly thought it to be revolutionary
3)A meeting was even necessary after many years of already recruiting?
4)Chief was invited to a recruiting strategy meeting

I could go on but I would need to know more of what you dumbazzez where talking about first

As I told another casual fan poster a few weeks ago - it’s a simple game and as George Blaney use to say - simplicity can easily be overlooked. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and we got an outstanding Blaze class coming in with Sid already shining in practice.
Sometime after you haven’t had success and a personnel change is made, it’s an excellent idea to set up a meeting to discuss go forward strategy rather than the usual daily tactical stuff. It’s nearly unanimous that Blaze was a great idea - the only criticism is that it wasn’t done a couple years earlier. Things might be very different today.

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Back from the game. First time watching high school basketball in awhile. Here are my thoughts:

Campolindo was overmatched from the start. James played OK. He started off the game with a really impressive assist and showed good instincts as a facilitator. He didn't shoot it particularly well but he hit his free throws when it counted. He plays in control and was stoic -- no flares of emotion, just down to business all the time. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that he started to drive with any regularity, and those drives generally ended with him dumping it off. On the defensive end, he's got good lateral quickness, shuffling his feet to stay in front of his defender. He had an impressive block with about 2 minutes to go; really rose up to swat a layup attempt.

The biggest facepalm/shame moment happened when he was at the line with about 5 minutes left and the opposing students started chanting "N.I.T. N.I.T." That one really cut deep. And those students don't even know that we're two games out of even _being eligible_ for the N.I.T.

As @Scrutiner said, the Salesian center (Te'Jon Sawyer) was really impressive. He's a 6'7" 260lb sophomore who showed deft touch around the basket. Campo didn't have anyone to match up with him, so he had his way inside. He also had great form on his FTs, missing just one (I think he was something like 6-7 from the line). Didn't seem to be very athletic but he showed really nice footwork. I'm not a scout but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get high-major attention, particularly if he keeps growing.

I'm pretty sure Salesian now qualified for the CIF basketball championship tournament (California Interscholastic Federation) which starts Wednesday. The bracket should be out tomorrow evening.

Good stuff. NIT chant no bueno. On the bright side, it kinda indicates people think the situation is strange.

C

Chief00

Couple reasons it scares me if true:

1)Chief was invited to a recruiting strategy meeting
2)Within that meeting the most basic necessities where applied to the point guard position and the people within that meeting seemingly thought it to be revolutionary
3)A meeting was even necessary after many years of already recruiting?
4)Chief was invited to a recruiting strategy meeting

I could go on but I would need to know more of what you dumbazzez where talking about first

You have no idea who Chief is.

pj

Reaction Score
You have no idea who Chief is.

We know KO values his opinion enough to invite him for pizza and a strategy session. No doubt about it -- Chief is Larry Brown.

pj

Reaction Score
How do you know it's not Chief doing the inviting?

Good point. Chief, thanks for the intervention. I'd hate to think what this year would be like without your Blaze strategy.

C

Chief00

We know KO values his opinion enough to invite him for pizza and a strategy session. No doubt about it -- Chief is Larry Brown.
If only he continued to meet with Jim Calhoun. One can only estimate how invaluable that connection was in KO’s first two seasons.

C

Chief00

Good point. Chief, thanks for the intervention. I'd hate to think what this year would be like without your Blaze strategy.
Always a great thing to have a reason to look to the future with optimism, especially when the current season has been difficult. It is amazing with all the head winds, we have such a great incoming class, if we don’t manage to blow it up. The next 3-4 months is key, as these kids should arrive on campus in June. Anyone who doesn’t start summer school in session 1 or 2, is a red flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Chief is Tate George and he doesn't go for pizza cause he is in the joint.

Reaction Score
Always a great thing to have a reason to look to the future with optimism, especially when the current season has been difficult. It is amazing with all the head winds, we have such a great incoming class, if we don’t manage to blow it up. The next 3-4 months is key, as these kids should arrive on campus in June. Anyone who doesn’t start summer school in session 1 or 2, is a red flag.

None of the '18 - '19 recruits are highly rated .... agreed which may mean nothing. But the gauntlet for KO is set if he is even around. He not only has had to find diamonds in the rough with Akinjo, Matthews and Kazunis but also has to develop them pronto.

C

Chief00

None of the '18 - '19 recruits are highly rated .... agreed which may mean nothing. But the gauntlet for KO is set if he is even around. He not only has had to find diamonds in the rough with Akinjo, Matthews and Kazunis but also has to develop them pronto.

Quite frankly, I trust my judgement on this and you omitted Sid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom