Future Scheduling Idea | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future Scheduling Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Sorry, but on what planet is UConn too good for a H/H with URI? They're a top 25 team this year, have been top 100 the last few years and seem to be set up to succeed for the long-term. It's not the sexiest matchup, but UConn doesn't need 100 P5 home-and-homes. They need consistent solid RPI games and just by being competitive in the A-10, URI provides exactly that.

UConn has played at mids before too, in case you forgot. They've played at Buffalo, at UMass, at Rice, and at UCF (Big East days). That's just off the top of my head. Being in the AAC does not mean UConn needs to kill itself with its schedule, it means it needs to schedule wisely. Give me a game at URI over a home guarantee any day.

There are a limited number of H/H series UConn plays each year. URI does not warrant one. It's that simple. UConn needs both a team with likely a decent RPI and one that will garner some national press/TV coverage. URI may provide the former but doesn't bring much in terms of the latter.

If UConn successfully joins a P5 conference I think you might see some H/H against some of the other regional teams (PC/URI/UMass/etc.) that just aren't reliably good enough to get one now. If UConn fails to enter a P5 conference those games might come about but the likelihood drops significantly.

Reaction Score
There are a limited number of H/H series UConn plays each year. URI does not warrant one. It's that simple. UConn needs both a team with likely a decent RPI and one that will garner some national press/TV coverage. URI may provide the former but doesn't bring much in terms of the latter.

If UConn successfully joins a P5 conference I think you might see some H/H against some of the other regional teams (PC/URI/UMass/etc.) that just aren't reliably good enough to get one now. If UConn fails to enter a P5 conference those games might come about but the likelihood drops significantly.

Eh, I don't know about that. First off, who says there's a limited number of series UConn can play? They play 2-3 every year, but who says it can't be more? On top of that, they already play every conference game on national TV and a bunch of non-conference games on ESPN. Is it really that important that they only schedule teams that will get them on national TV again? People know the UConn brand. One more game against a P5 isn't going to change that.

I'm not saying UConn should forget about scheduling P5 schools, I just think URI would be a good series to accompany that. Depending on the schedule, they can probably get the game on ESPNU or something anyway.

Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know about that. First off, who says there's a limited number of series UConn can play? They play 2-3 every year, but who says it can't be more? On top of that, they already play every conference game on national TV and a bunch of non-conference games on ESPN. Is it really that important that they only schedule teams that will get them on national TV again? People know the UConn brand. One more game against a P5 isn't going to change that.

I'm not saying UConn should forget about scheduling P5 schools, I just think URI would be a good series to accompany that. Depending on the schedule, they can probably get the game on ESPNU or something anyway.

URI's A-10 conference schedule came out and 17 out of the 18 conference games are on national TV including on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, NBC Sports, CBS Sports etc. A UConn vs URI series would certainly be put on national TV. Even URI's game at Houston this year just got picked up by ESPN. Zero chance ESPN would pass on a UConn vs URI game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If any New England school (URI, BC, PC, Fairfield, Hartford, Maine, Holy Cross, UMass, etc) wants to be on the list of teams we can choose from for an early season game (if selected, they get to tell their recruits that they'll play against a school that has won multiple national titles in their lifetime, we'll get an early season home game) they can submit their name.

If they are willing to book the TD Garden (if they are close enough geographically) we may be willing to throw them a home game (and even supply most of the ticket buyers).

If those schools want anything beyond that they need to do quite a bit of winning, for a decent stretch first.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
UConn has played at mids before too, in case you forgot. They've played at Buffalo, at UMass, at Rice, and at UCF (Big East days). That's just off the top of my head. Being in the AAC does not mean UConn needs to kill itself with its schedule, it means it needs to schedule wisely. Give me a game at URI over a home guarantee any day.
@Buffalo was because of a football contract. Calhoun wasn't happy about that.
@UMass was because of the U-game contract.
@Rice was Emeka's homecoming game.
I don't recall them playing @UCF in the Big East days. What year was that?

Reaction Score
@Buffalo was because of a football contract. Calhoun wasn't happy about that.
@UMass was because of the U-game contract.
@Rice was Emeka's homecoming game.
I don't recall them playing @UCF in the Big East days. What year was that?
That was 2008. Also add @ Houston to the list. Point is, homecoming or not, football or not, UConn has done it. A game at URI is better than almost all of them.

Reaction Score
That was 2008. Also add @ Houston to the list. Point is, homecoming or not, football or not, UConn has done it. A game at URI is better than almost all of them.

I think there's a baseline assumption that we need to play a certain number of home games, for revenue and fan purposes. You may agree or disagree with that assumption, but I think most people accept it. And if you take that as a given, then we can only schedule so many home and homes.

The fact that we played a random out of conference away game against non top tier programs from time to time while in the Big East - when we had much better conference opponents and a better relative revenue stream - is irrelevant now. Now, we need to maximize our out of conference home and homes by ensuring that we play major teams with a national name and a high likelihood of being pretty good. That's why people weren't thrilled to hear about Auburn and that's why people aren't real excited about the thought of URI. It's not arrogance or dismissal of URI as a program. It's that that type of scheduling isn't the best way to keep our program relevant so long as we are stuck here in our lifeboat hoping for rescue by the P5.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
When did we visit Houston outside of AAC games?

I don't recall playing UCF (outside of tournament games) pre-AAC but I won't dispute that claim. If we did, it was very likely (either for recruiting or scheduling) football related.

Reaction Score
I think there's a baseline assumption that we need to play a certain number of home games, for revenue and fan purposes. You may agree or disagree with that assumption, but I think most people accept it. And if you take that as a given, then we can only schedule so many home and homes.

The fact that we played a random out of conference away game against non top tier programs from time to time while in the Big East - when we had much better conference opponents and a better relative revenue stream - is irrelevant now. Now, we need to maximize our out of conference home and homes by ensuring that we play major teams with a national name and a high likelihood of being pretty good. That's why people weren't thrilled to hear about Auburn and that's why people aren't real excited about the thought of URI. It's not arrogance or dismissal of URI as a program. It's that that type of scheduling isn't the best way to keep our program relevant so long as we are stuck here in our lifeboat hoping for rescue by the P5.

Yeah, I get that. Let's think of it this way: You can play 31 regular season games. 18 are conference games, we'll say 3 are in an exempt tournament (Maui or whatever). That leaves 10 non-conference games to schedule. In a perfect world, maybe you have 2 high-major opponents at home and 2 on the road. Would you rather play the remaining 6 as home cupcakes, or 5 and a road game at a good mid-major?

Being in the AAC means UConn needs smart scheduling, not insane scheduling. Playing URI in basketball on the road every once in a while is not going to make a difference in conference realignment. And if it does, it would be a positive one, given that a game like that has a much higher chance of ending up on national TV than a game against Central (which still, somehow, was on ESPNU last year).

I don't hate Auburn, simply because I think they're going to be good next year (2017-18) and they were desperate for someone to play this year. Not ideal, but I'm not losing sleep over it with games already lined up against Ohio State, Georgetown and Syracuse, plus the AZ series starting next year.

Like I said, URI is not a substitute for a maquee non-conference game, but I think it could be a helpful addition to an already strong schedule.

Reaction Score
When did we visit Houston outside of AAC games?

I don't recall playing UCF (outside of tournament games) pre-AAC but I won't dispute that claim. If we did, it was very likely (either for recruiting or scheduling) football related.
Houston in 1999-00, UCF in 2008

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Houston in 1999-00, UCF in 2008
My first guess is the Houston game wad for Jake Voskuhl (that was his senior year).

Reaction Score
My first guess is the Houston game wad for Jake Voskuhl (that was his senior year).
Quite possibly. Glad Houston and Rice were willing to play homecoming games for a UConn player...unlike another school I've heard of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We played UCF the night before the Meineke Bowl in Charlotte. I was there watching with a bar full of UConn fans. The Observer said we were good tippers. IIRC, UCF was opening their new BB facility and they were looking for a big-name opponent.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Would you rather play the remaining 6 as home cupcakes, or 5 and a road game at a good mid-major?
I don't think the answer is quite that simple. Life in the AAC means striking a delicate balance between smart scheduling and maximizing revenue. While subtracting a home cupcake for a good road mid-major certainly helps the RPI (assuming you win...which is a whole other story), it hurts the revenue stream. UConn is clawing for every dollar it can find right now.

Reaction Score
I don't think the answer is quite that simple. Life in the AAC means striking a delicate balance between smart scheduling and maximizing revenue. While subtracting a home cupcake for a good road mid-major certainly helps the RPI (assuming you win...which is a whole other story), it hurts the revenue stream. UConn is clawing for every dollar it can find right now.

I think that's absolutely a good point and should be considered. But I also don't think it should rule out playing a high-quality team on the road every other year. Somewhat related: How much money does UConn make from guarantee games, factoring in low attendance and the check they're cutting the team that comes in?

Reaction Score

Agreed but the road contest would provide minimal expenses and you could play the home game at the XL center and if URI delivers on the preseason top 25 ranking it would sure to be a sell out generating additional revenue for that one game then they would get for a buy game from some mid major program. Let alone ESPN would be sure to pick up that series and put it on national TV creating the visibility UConn is looking for non-conference.

Obviously nothing is a slam dunk in scheduling, look at the series with Georgetown, while they have a national name their teams over the past couple of years have been dreadful. They have been mid-way or bottom half of the new mid major version of the Big East.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
How much money does UConn make from guarantee games, factoring in low attendance and the check they're cutting the team that comes in?
That's a very good question. And if it's an XL game they also have to subtract the rent. That said I'm sure they are still coming out in the black despite all those factors. Or at least I hope so...

Reaction Score
That's a very good question. And if it's an XL game they also have to subtract the rent. That said I'm sure they are still coming out in the black despite all those factors. Or at least I hope so...

I saw a number 5yrs back that said a game at the XL that sells out, UConn makes roughly a million dollars off that event. A sell out is huge not only from the obvious ticket sale perspective but also from the beverage and concession perspective.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
One additional thing to factor into the equation is the commitment we have in terms of games played each year on the XL Center.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agreed but the road contest would provide minimal expenses and you could play the home game at the XL center and if URI delivers on the preseason top 25 ranking it would sure to be a sell out generating additional revenue for that one game then they would get for a buy game from some mid major program. Let alone ESPN would be sure to pick up that series and put it on national TV creating the visibility UConn is looking for non-conference.

Obviously nothing is a slam dunk in scheduling, look at the series with Georgetown, while they have a national name their teams over the past couple of years have been dreadful. They have been mid-way or bottom half of the new mid major version of the Big East.
I'm not convinced ESPN would have any interest in it, and I don't even know what network (if any) has the rights to A10 home games. Having said that, URI should be in our rotation, we have played them more often than any other school. And URI is PC's true rival, that should be stipulated somewhere before UConn plays any of you guys.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced ESPN would have any interest in it, and I don't even know what network (if any) has the rights to A10 home games. Having said that, URI should be in our rotation, we have played them more often than any other school. And URI is PC's true rival, that should be stipulated somewhere before UConn plays any of you guys.

ESPN has I believe 9 URI's games this year. ESPN, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports have the A-10 rights. I mentioned before, ESPN just picked up the OOC URI vs Houston game. If ESPN is interested in that game then I'm sure they would certainly be interested in a URI vs UConn game.

Agreed that URI is PC true rival. Like I mentioned before, UConn playing URI would cut PC fans deep since UConn won't play PC.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
ESPN has I believe 9 URI's games this year. ESPN, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports have the A-10 rights. I mentioned before, ESPN just picked up the OOC URI vs Houston game. If ESPN is interested in that game then I'm sure they would certainly be interested in a URI vs UConn game.

Agreed that URI is PC true rival. Like I mentioned before, UConn playing URI would cut PC fans deep since UConn won't play PC.

I'm in.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I wanted to reach out to the Uconn fans since I now live in the great Hartford area and can appreciate what UConn has done with their athletic program. Plus I'm obviously a Uconn fan now only behind URI. I first wanted to say congrats on landing Mal over PC. I find it humorous that PC fans see Uconn as a rival but the gist I get living here is that Uconn fans barely have PC on their radar. If you read PC boards, their distaste for Uconn is palpable to the point that it’s obsessive.

On to my schedule point, with Uconn trying to find solid “local” games due to the AAC being so spread out across the country, it brings me to this idea. Why wouldn't Uconn get into a series with URI? At first thought you might not be all that interested but here are the reasons.

1. Reduces travel on the players
  2. Adds another projected top 25-40 opponent to the schedule (while Dan Hurley stays at URI)
  3. You could play one in Storrs, Kingston, Hartford, and Providence
  4. The game in Providence would easily sell out extending out Uconn’s brand
  5. This would be a gut punch to PC who badly wants a series with Uconn to continue to quote un quote “rivalry” with UConn.
  6. I also love the idea of a game at Mohegan, wonder if Mohegan could financially makes this as rewarding as games played in Storrs for example

I believe this would be a win – win for all parties involved.
URI=TULANE=BORING....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc