Votes: 15 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
the big east wants uconn B.B.?

Independent football team - oh lord we are UMass now.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
the big east wants uconn B.B.?

Independent football team - oh lord we are UMass now.
Yes, they would bend over for us and our brand.
There is a way to do independent football, but it involves only having five home games.
It would go something like this:
Weeks 1-4: home and home series with lower-tier P5 schools
Weeks 5-12: home and home series with BYU, Army, UMass, BC ; FCS home game; and three pay day road games against big boy schools (Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc.).

Reaction Score
There is a way to do independent football, but it involves only having five home games.
Weeks 5-12: home and home series with BYU, Army, UMass, BC ; FCS home game; and three pay day road games against big boy schools (Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc.).

Home TV contract with SNY

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Switch out BC with Idaho, BYU with Holy Cross, Clemson with Wake Forest, Alabama with Vanderbilt, and Ohio State with Illinois. And give us 4 home games, not 5. And it wouldn't be a home-and-home, it would be a 2-for-1 in favor of the P5 opponent, if there was a return game at all.

That's what football independence would look like for UConn, and it's a ridiculous notion. For UConn, you either play football in a conference or you have to close it down...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
What's our pay day with Clemson?
We would make more money between the Big East and pay day football games than the AAC and CFP buyouts.

Reaction Score
Obviously not saying the UConn football program has anywhere close to the same potential as FSU, but just pointing out that Bowden built that program as an independent by going anywhere to play anyone without the guarantee of a return home game.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Switch out BC with Idaho, BYU with Holy Cross, Clemson with Wake Forest, Alabama with Vanderbilt, and Ohio State with Illinois. And give us 4 home games, not 5. And it wouldn't be a home-and-home, it would be a 2-for-1 in favor of the P5 opponent, if there was a return game at all.

That's what football independence would look like for UConn, and it's a ridiculous notion. For UConn, you either play football in a conference or you have to close it down...
So explain to me how UMass got a home and home with BYU...

Reaction Score
We would make more money between the Big East and pay day football games than the AAC and CFP buyouts.

No, yeah it wasn't rhetorical I was honestly wondering trying to do the math in my head

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Please tell me you are trolling me.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So explain to me how UMass got a home and home with BYU...

We've had BYU visit here also. But that's their mission. They schedule random OOC games in order to get their brand around the country. If you think that we are going to have a consistent home-and-home with them, you are crazy. That's just the way it is.

Independence for Notre Dame or BYU and independence for UConn football are two VASTLY different things. The topic has been beaten to death on the Conference Realignment board, and yet we still have folks that believe in unicorns and leprechauns (not the Notre Dame type)...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We've had BYU visit here also. But that's their mission. They schedule random OOC games in order to get their brand around the country. If you think that we are going to have a consistent home-and-home with them, you are crazy. That's just the way it is.

Independence for Notre Dame or BYU and independence for UConn football are two VASTLY different things. The topic has been beaten to death on the Conference Realignment board, and yet we still have folks that believe in unicorns and leprechauns (not the Notre Dame type)...
Bologna. Independence is not a breeze for BYU. They do it out of pride because they don't want to officially be considered G5. They struggle to schedule in November BIG-time. If they could get more regular opponents that their fans have heard of (like UConn), they would take it. The more teams that go independent, the better for independents.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
And by the way, BYU and UMass play a FOUR year series. So much for a random home and home.

Reaction Score
Bologna. Independence is not a breeze for BYU. They do it out of pride because they don't want to officially be considered G5. They struggle to schedule in November BIG-time. If they could get more regular opponents that their fans have heard of (like UConn), they would take it. The more teams that go independent, the better for independents.

It would be cool if we could convince UC to go independent with us, form a scheduling alliance AND convince the big east to take both of us.

(Hey, one can dream)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Venezia. Independence is not a breeze for anyone, but it is viable for BYU. They would of course prefer the Big12 paycheck, as would we. And it seemed we were both going to get it for a little while there. But UConn football cannot survive as an independent football program. Let it go...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Venezia. Independence is not a breeze for anyone, but it is viable for BYU. They would of course prefer the Big12 paycheck, as would we. And it seemed we were both going to get it for a little while there. But UConn football cannot survive as an independent football program. Let it go...
UConn basketball can't survive in the AAC...

Reaction Score

I love that UConn football exists but I'm starting to fret about how long the entire athletic program can exist as-is in the AAC if we get a bad tv contract and then are left out of the next round of conference realignment yet again.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn basketball can't survive in the AAC...

One day, the folks on this board will come to realize that football drives the financial bus.

If you ever have dreams that UConn will be in a major conference again, it will come on the backs of the football team. It won't matter how many national championships we win in basketball. That's not to say that basketball has less importance for me than football, because it doesn't. But that's the scenario. There may come a time in the future where the football team is too much of a financial burden to continue to bear, but that is not affected by independence.

I have a different question for you, though. Do you really believe that folks will fill the stands with the current product just because we are playing against Marquette, Seton Hall, and DePaul?? I'm curious to hear why you think that the Big East will save our hoops team from the general malaise that our fans are currently experiencing...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
One day, the folks on this board will come to realize that football drives the financial bus.

If you ever have dreams that UConn will be in a major conference again, it will come on the backs of the football team. It won't matter how many national championships we win in basketball. That's not to say that basketball has less importance for me than football, because it doesn't. But that's the scenario. There may come a time in the future where the football team is too much of a financial burden to continue to bear, but that is not affected by independence.

I have a different question for you, though. Do you really believe that folks will fill the stands with the current product just because we are playing against Marquette, Seton Hall, and DePaul?? I'm curious to hear why you think that the Big East will save our hoops team from the general malaise that our fans are currently experiencing...
Football as a sport is screwed.

As for your question.
Here is the list of schools we would play in the BE (Y- if people would want to attend).
DePaul
Butler Y-they are frequently ranked and are kind of like Gonzaga-lite.
Marquette Y-they are ranked occasionally and we used to play them regularly and got good crowds
Creighton Y-usually ranked
Xavier Y-frequently ranked and would basically just replace Cincy
Seton Hall Y-when ranked or at least good
St. John's Y
Providence Y- duh
Georgetown Y-duh
Villanova Y-major duh

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Football as a sport is screwed.

As for your question.
Here is the list of schools we would play in the BE (Y- if people would want to attend).
DePaul
Butler Y-they are frequently ranked and are kind of like Gonzaga-lite.
Marquette Y-they are ranked occasionally and we used to play them regularly and got good crowds
Creighton Y-usually ranked
Xavier Y-frequently ranked and would basically just replace Cincy
Seton Hall Y-when ranked or at least good
St. John's Y
Providence Y- duh
Georgetown Y-duh
Villanova Y-major duh

I'm not asking if they would want to attend. I'm saying will they suddenly fill the stadium?

Or is our stadium problem based on our current performance or based on our fickle fanbase? Here's what I think I know; we're going to have good attendance numbers for games against top ranked opponents. I'm guessing we'll have a good turnout against Cuse at MSG. I'm guessing we'll also have good turnouts for Cincy and for Wichita State. We've already have a home game with Villanova anyways, which will also likely be well attended. But if you are going to tell me that on any given year, the attendance numbers for games against Creighton, Seton Hall, Marquette, Butler, and DePaul are going to be very different than games against SMU, UCF, Houston, Memphis, and Tulsa, well then I'm going to call bullstuff on that...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I'm not asking if they would want to attend. I'm saying will they suddenly fill the stadium?

Or is our stadium problem based on our current performance or based on our fickle fanbase? Here's what I think I know; we're going to have good attendance numbers for games against top ranked opponents. I'm guessing we'll have a good turnout against Cuse at MSG. I'm guessing we'll also have good turnouts for Cincy and for Wichita State. We've already have a home game with Villanova anyways, which will also likely be well attended. But if you are going to tell me that on any given year, the attendance numbers for games against Creighton, Seton Hall, Marquette, Butler, and DePaul are going to be very different than games against SMU, UCF, Houston, Memphis, and Tulsa, well then I'm going to call bullstuff on that...
I don't know about SMU but yes I do think we would get higher attendances for the first set because those teams are much more likely to be highly ranked. Your comparison is not perfect though.
If we rank each team in both conferences by what our attendance against them would be, the BE would win at least 7 out of 10.
Villanova>Wichita State
Georgetown>Cincy
Providence>SMU
Butler> Memphis
and down the line...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think it's accurate to say that it doesn't matter how many championships we win in basketball. It matters. It just isn't enough, absent a capable, winning football team, to move us anywhere.

Right now, the NBE is not notably better than the AAC. Nova has become a stud program. So has WSU. Xavier is very good, but less impressive than Cinci. Seton Hall is good at the moment, but normally stinks. SMU has been more consistently good. PC? About like Temple. What else? Is St. Johns better than UCF? Doubt it. Now many are closer and are names we know, I'll grant that. But the notion that the Big East of today is some quantum leap beyond the American is simply wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom