Future of Army Series Due to AAC move in doubt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future of Army Series Due to AAC move in doubt

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
He tried to get us into the big 12.

Right now, entire athletic department is compromised having football as an Indy. It’s killing them.

Stunning how quick things turn.
What does football have to do with this, really? Unless a better conference would call us if we dropped it, what’s the correlation?

Reaction Score
I desperately want to join a conference for football, but there is just no good option for us.

Reaction Score
What does football have to do with this, really? Unless a better conference would call us if we dropped it, what’s the correlation?
Having football Indy kind of has entire AD in limbo. Drains resources, makes long term plan ing difficult. They aren’t getting a slice of CFP or bowls money (very little).

It is going to kill hoops in the king run .

Reaction Score

Why would Navy be non-conference if they are in the same league? I'm sure the AAC could find a way to adapt its scheduling model to account for one fixed opponent per year. That's especially true since there isn't a single real rival for Army in the league other than Navy. Both schools have traditionally tried to spread around their games to cater to military audiences and supporters throughout the country. With a full league schedule and non-conference games for the CiC Trophy, that would be effectively impossible.

Reaction Score
Why would Navy be non-conference if they are in the same league? I'm sure the AAC could find a way to adapt its scheduling model to account for one fixed opponent per year. That's especially true since there isn't a single real rival for Army in the league other than Navy. Both schools have traditionally tried to spread around their games to cater to military audiences and supporters throughout the country. With a full league schedule and non-conference games for the CiC Trophy, that would be effectively impossible.
The army series is dead.

Reaction Score
We must have done some really bad stuff in a past life. If there was any more proof basketball is irrelevant, the last 6 months removes any doubt. It’s unfathomable how the most dominant program in the last 25 years means nothing. But, that’s what it means.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
If the AAC will accept Army as a football only member, couldn't we do the same?
This is ain't like Colorado going back to the Big12. UConn left the AAC, and they didn't like it (probably relieved getting rid of UConn from a football perspective and irked from a basketball one). No way they say "Sure, com'on back fellas". In this fashion, the AAC and ACC are in lockstep: screw UConn at all costs. Oh boy, our football program is on a rapidly sinking island.

For those that say AD DB needs to call OSU and WSU (I don't disagree), those schools have larger aspirations than playing lowly UConn. I don't doubt that this school can be competitive at football, hell it showed it could during the 2000's, but this is another major snafu for the program. Dammit, we can never catch a friggin' break.

Reaction Score
This is ain't like Colorado going back to the Big12. UConn left the AAC, and they didn't like it (probably relieved getting rid of UConn from a football perspective and irked from a basketball one). No way they say "Sure, com'on back fellas". In this fashion, the AAC and ACC are in lockstep: screw UConn at all costs. Oh boy, our football program is on a rapidly sinking island.

For those that say AD DB needs to call OSU and WSU (I don't disagree), those schools have larger aspirations than playing lowly UConn. I don't doubt that this school can be competitive at football, hell it showed it could during the 2000's, but this is another major snafu for the program. Dammit, we can never catch a friggin' break.
I am telling you guys, Benedict has to go back to big 12 and do basketball and Olympics only to big 12 and football gets an affiliate, or, zero media revenue entrance if they would do it.

At end of day, they just need access. Still a net win.

Reaction Score
Oregon State and Washington State went from the top floor to the basement in a matter of days. Both good quality programs left out. UConn football has been suffering for years- different situation but similar outcome

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Having football Indy kind of has entire AD in limbo. Drains resources, makes long term plan ing difficult. They aren’t getting a slice of CFP or bowls money (very little).

Correct. Eventually the Big East will be marginalized.
We need a tie in like ND. We could be the Rust Belt to the Sun Belt Conf in FB only.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I am telling you guys, Benedict has to go back to big 12 and do basketball and Olympics only to big 12 and football gets an affiliate, or, zero media revenue entrance if they would do it.

At end of day, they just need access. Still a net win.
I totally agree. We need to leverage our assets in other sports to get into the ACC or B12, even if that means a deal like SMU took with ACC. Access is key.

Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be okay with us playing in Tuesday/Wednesday night games like the UTEP/Sam Houston St game going on right now.

Reaction Score
I just realized the answer to my own question. Army-Navy will be non-league so they can retain their end of season date after the AAC Championship game. That's all the more reason to not join the AAC. Army will rue this day once they begin the type of slow decline that befell Navy once they could no longer hand pick their schedule.

Reaction Score
The fact that Army is joining the plunging AAC indicates just how important it is to be part of a conference. Any conference. Army in the freaking AAC. I was shocked Navy hadn't bailed yet.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Name a more lucrative willing home for the Olympic sports. You can’t.

Our problem is 60% geographical, 39% bad blood, and about 1% football.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Let's assume that Army cancels all future games with us.

In 2024, we now have two openings (both need to be at home). One can be an FCS opponent. My preference is the other game is the home half of a P4 H/H series.

In 2025, we now have two openings (one at home and one on the road). Although I would like two P4 series, I don't think that is realistic. If we could get the away half of a P4 H/H series and then the home half of a G5 series against a MW or regional AAC opponent, I would be happy.

In 2026, we have no openings but only 5 home games. I expect us to call someone like Temple and switch the location of the 2026/27 series.

In 2027, we have three openings (assuming a Temple location switch: two at home, one on the road). We need two more P4 H/H series. If one is at home and one away, the final game can be the home half of a G5 series against a MW or regional AAC school.

Reaction Score
Name a more lucrative willing home for the Olympic sports. You can’t.

Our problem is 60% geographical, 39% bad blood, and about 1% football.
Big 12 is more lucrative. Acc is more lucrative.

Big east is, once again, sitting on its hands. Very frustrating.

Reaction Score
The fact that Army is joining the plunging AAC indicates just how important it is to be part of a conference. Any conference. Army in the freaking AAC. I was shocked Navy hadn't bailed yet.
Which G5 conference would you want to join? Seems like the AAC doesn't want us for football only, so that leaves C-USA, MAC and maybe Sun Belt? Assuming any of those conferences would want us for football only (which is doubtful) why would any of these be clearly better than independence? The MAC and C-USA have tv deals requiring a substantial number of mid-week games as broadcast inventory. For the casual UConn football fan there is really no interest in any of these conferences.

Reaction Score
The big question is how will the football program get funding? No conference affiliation and limited revenue from home games will make it very challenging

Reaction Score
Which G5 conference would you want to join? Seems like the AAC doesn't want us for football only, so that leaves C-USA, MAC and maybe Sun Belt? Assuming any of those conferences would want us for football only (which is doubtful) why would any of these be clearly better than independence? The MAC and C-USA have tv deals requiring a substantial number of mid-week games as broadcast inventory. For the casual UConn football fan there is really no interest in any of these conferences.
Would sign up for the Sun Belt immediately but it's incredibly unlikely they'd take us as football only.

Reaction Score
UConn should not be looking to join any "football only" conference. We need to continue trying to leverage our BBall like we almost did with Yormark's Big XII. If the PAC had not come apart we'd be there in the XII now. How crazily odd is it that the TV or streaming folks (Apple) didn't make a bigger pitch for the Pac, given how incredibly strong and "must watch TV" the PAC is this year --even after the USC/UCLA defections. Inept PAC leadership, lack of foresight, and massive undervaluation of the PAC product by Apple (or other media) execs--all of it resulting in a disastrous outcome for UConn. So far.
I'm not giving up. I know the pile is high-- but there's a pony in there somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom