Future CFP Selection Criteria | The Boneyard

Future CFP Selection Criteria

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't find an article that lays out the exact criteria that will be used to select the at-large teams in the college football playoff. Does anyone have a link?

Reaction Score
AQ: 6 (or 5) highest ranked conference champs
NonAQ: 6 (or 7) remaining highest ranked

Rankings from CFP top 25

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
AQ: 6 (or 5) highest ranked conference champs
NonAQ: 6 (or 7) remaining highest ranked

Rankings from CFP top 25

Are they going with popularity contest or will there pretend to be some objective criteria like strength of schedule and quality wins, like in basketball?

Reaction Score
Are they going with popularity contest or will there pretend to be some objective criteria like strength of schedule and quality wins, like in basketball?
The committee has been ranking the top 25 for a decade and that has been used to determine the top 4.
Now it will determine the top 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The committee has been ranking the top 25 for a decade and that has been used to determine the top 4.
Now it will determine the top 12.

So you don’t know. You could have just stayed out of the thread.

Reaction Score
So you don’t know. You could have just stayed out of the thread.
A8268548-0EA1-4F7B-9940-42EE032C9547.jpeg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I hope you didn't go to UConn. What you posted above is not criteria. That is basically a tautology. "The 12 schools will be taken from the 4 top conference champions plus the next 2 conference champions plus the top 6 at-large schools" is meaningless. Every professor I had at UConn would have given me no credit if I answered a question like the one I started the thread with just a bunch of numbers in different order that added up to 12.

Does anyone know the actual criteria? Is there a strength of schedule component? Are schools penalized for scheduling FCS schools? How are teams with the same record going to be assessed?

Reaction Score
I hope you didn't go to UConn. What you posted above is not criteria. That is basically a tautology. "The 12 schools will be taken from the 4 top conference champions plus the next 2 conference champions plus the top 6 at-large schools" is meaningless. Every professor I had at UConn would have given me no credit if I answered a question like the one I started the thread with just a bunch of numbers in different order that added up to 12.

Does anyone know the actual criteria? Is there a strength of schedule component? Are schools penalized for scheduling FCS schools? How are teams with the same record going to be assessed?
Perhaps this can help you

Reaction Score

Do you enjoy being a friggin ? If you are so smart, go look it up yourself instead of asking for help and then criticizing those that helped you. If you speak this way to people in person, you might want to consider preparing yourself for a punch in the mouth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you enjoy being a friggin ? If you are so smart, go look it up yourself instead of asking for help and then criticizing those that helped you. If you speak this way to people in person, you might want to consider preparing yourself for a punch in the mouth.

I don't know what you do for work, but if someone gives the same stupid, non-responsive answer to a question more than once in my field, they should expect to hear some criticism from the person asking the question.

And he wasn't trying to help. He was busting stones and thought he was being clever when he did it.

Reaction Score

HOW TO SELECT THE FOUR BEST TEAMS TO COMPETE FOR THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

(Adopted unanimously by the BCS Group June 20, 2012)

Ranking football teams is an art, not a science. Football is popular in some measure because the outcome of a game between reasonably matched teams is so often decided by emotional commitment, momentum, injuries and the “unexpected bounce of the ball.” In any ranking system, perfection or consensus is not possible and the physical impact of the game on student athletes prevents elaborate playoff systems of multiple games. For purposes of any four-team playoff, the process will inevitably need to select the four best teams from among several with legitimate claims to participate.

Proposed Selection Process:
Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head‐to‐head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie‐breaker; apply specific guidelines).

The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non‐champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non‐champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:
  • Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)
We believe that a committee of experts properly instructed (based on beliefs that the regular season is unique and must be preserved; and that championships won on the field and strength of schedule are important values that must be incorporated into the selection process) has very strong support throughout the college football community.

Under the current construct, polls (although well‐intended) have not expressed these values; particularly at the margins where teams that have won head‐to‐head competition and championships are sometimes ranked behind non‐champions and teams that have lost in head‐to‐head competition. Nuanced mathematical formulas ignore some teams who “deserve” to be selected.

As we expand from two teams to four teams, we want to establish a human selection committee that: (1) will be provided a clear set of guidelines; (2) will be expected to take the facts of each case and specifically apply the guidelines; and (3) will be led by a Chairperson who will be expected to explain publicly the committee’s decisions.

Some of the guidelines and protocols expected to be established to guide the committee would include, but not be limited to, the following:
  • While it is understood that committee members will take into consideration all kinds of data including polls, committee members will be required to discredit polls wherein initial rankings are established before competition has occurred;
  • Any polls that are taken into consideration by the selection committee must be completely open and transparent to the public;
  • Strength of schedule, head‐to‐head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie‐breakers between teams that look similar;
  • Committee members associated with any team under consideration during the selection process will be required to recuse themselves from any deliberations associated with that team;
We would expect this same set of principles to be applied, particularly at the margins (teams 10‐11‐12).

Reaction Score
It would appear that the CFP Committee Rankings will be used...and, in the past, the Committee has not had a hard formula approach...they consider and rank the teams...they have said that they review data, polls, etc in making their ranking positions.

The 12-team format will feature, in order, the top four conference champions, followed by some combination of the top six at-large bids and two highest-ranked remaining conference champions. Teams will be ordered based on the College Football Playoff rankings.

This was before PAC collapse...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would appear that the CFP Committee Rankings will be used...and, in the past, the Committee has not had a hard formula approach...they consider and rank the teams...they have said that they review data, polls, etc in making their ranking positions.

The 12-team format will feature, in order, the top four conference champions, followed by some combination of the top six at-large bids and two highest-ranked remaining conference champions. Teams will be ordered based on the College Football Playoff rankings.

So that sounds like popularity contest. There will be some work needed to get to the level of analysis of an NCAA Basketball Selection Committee.

Reaction Score
So that sounds like popularity contest. There will be some work needed to get to the level of analysis of an NCAA Basketball Selection Committee.

Not a lot different from the Basketball Selection Committee....which is an amalgamation of committee members opinions...

Basketball Selection...

Among the resources available to the committee are an extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and NABC regional advisory rankings; complete box scores and results, head-to-head results, results versus common opponents, imbalanced conference schedules and results, overall and non-conference strength of schedule, the quality of wins and losses, road record, player and coach availability and various computer metrics.

Each of the 12 committee members uses these various resources to form their own opinions, resulting in the committee’s consensus position on teams’ selection and seeding.

1. Prior to the selection meeting, each committee member receives an “initial ballot” comprised of two columns listing all eligible Division I teams in alphabetical order.

Each committee member will submit the ballot by a designated time on the first full day of selection meetings:
a. In the first column, each member shall identify not more than 36 teams that, in that member’s opinion, should be at- large selections (AL) in the tournament based upon play to date, regardless of whether the team could eventually represent its conference as the automatic qualifier.

b. In the second column, each member shall identify all teams that should receive consideration (C) for an at- large berth. There is no minimum or maximum limit in the second column; however, only teams meriting serious consideration should receive votes.

2. Any team receiving all but three of the eligible votes in Column 1 (AL) is moved into the tournament field as an at-large selection.

Procedures for Seeding

1. Each committee member will submit a list of the best eight teams, in no particular order, from teams that are in the tournament as automatic qualifiers or at-large selections:

2. The eight teams receiving the most votes comprise the next seed list ballot.

Yada...Yada...opinions...or popularity contest as you call it.

Reaction Score
One thing about having 12 teams, harder to get all worked up about 12 vs. 13th best team as opposed to 4th vs. 5th best. I would like to see each person's exact "score sheet" for picks. Always wondered how Condoleezza Rice's picks looked.

Reaction Score

Which is exactly what I said. lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom