Future Big East Hopeful | The Boneyard

Future Big East Hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Georgia State was routed by a South Carolina State at home this weekend. They are going to stink up the CAA for a season and then move up to the Sun Belch conference.

This should be a fun massacre to watch over the next few seasons.

Reaction Score
Georgia State was routed by a South Carolina State at home this weekend. They are going to stink up the CAA for a season and then move up to the Sun Belch conference. This should be a fun massacre to watch over the next few seasons.
Not that Georgia State nor Charlotte will amount to too much too soon, but they both need to start somewhere. For GSU, they're not too likely to have much fun at Tennessee this weekend. The Panthers' website no longer shows ex-UConn DE, transfer to Georgia State, A.J. Portee, on their roster, but there is a kid from Windsor/NW Catholic, Theo Agnew. Meanwhile, Charlotte's building a stadium and just kicked off their first workouts en route to their 2013 opening game.

Reaction Score
Not that Georgia State nor Charlotte will amount to too much too soon, but they both need to start somewhere. For GSU, they're not too likely to have much fun at Tennessee this weekend. The Panthers' website no longer shows ex-UConn DE, transfer to Georgia State, A.J. Portee, on their roster, but there is a kid from Windsor/NW Catholic, Theo Agnew. Meanwhile, Charlotte's building a stadium and just kicked off their first workouts en route to their 2013 opening game.

They do need to start somewhere. But contrary to what some believe, you can't just slap a Big East sticker on that pig and expect to have Cincy in a couple of seasons.

Georgia State's development will look alot like Buffalo's and not so much like USF.

Reaction Score
wischusky?

Did you miss the part that "we started from trailers" ... and that was in my recent memory? Only yesterday. We were on a field that had High Schoolish concessions. A weight room that Gold's Gym beat. Academic advisors that taught Jungle freshmen in the next hour after the big lineman. Get the picture?

Georgia State sure is fun to beat like laundry on the line. But ... I am here to tell you that a UTSA drawing 35,000 the first year playing FCS teams has a better future than many of your name programs. And the Big East (easily dismissable UConn, Cincy, USF, Louisville, Rutgers) has leapt hugely since 2004. That is our peer group. And you can hang your hat on tradition (the decrepit Carrier Dome being my symbol ... like the GOP elephant) OR you can see where this is going to be in 10 years> A new paradigm. IF NBC pays $11-17m per Football Program, I predict even the Memphis Tigers will be pumped up ... THINK like Arnold Schwarzenegger/ Lou Ferrigno transformation.

It is so easy to dismiss the first weekend results of Houston ... of SMU ... or Memphis. I am here to tell you that I would bet a lot of money that the long term viability of one of those performs better on the field than Duke or Wake. And maybe even our Bandbox Neighbor BC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With the introduction of the playoff, and I believe it inevitable increase to 16 teams, the dynamics of college football will change completely. Any school will be able to succeed if it is willing to commit the resources to be successful, while there will also be many Miami's, Syracuse's and Wake's taking big paydays from their conference and reinvesting just enough to not piss off their alumni.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
byu and nevada are looking pretty good right now.
i can see the potential in schools like tex st/utsa/gast/ohio/unlv....

Reaction Score
I don't know boys... I think Vegas is beckoning us...

Boneyard-Photo-Kyle-McCluer-via-Flickr..jpg

Reaction Score
Everyone not in a BCS conference east of the Mississippi wants to get into the Big East, huh?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
byu and nevada are looking pretty good right now.
i can see the potential in schools like tex st/utsa/gast/ohio/unlv....

I thought you liked big publics? How did Ohio U wind up on your list?

My b, just looked it up and see it is public. I was always under the impression it was private for some reason.

Reaction Score
Would have been nice if UConn had brickwork on the stadium like Charlotte. Interesting to see people jumped on the UTSA, etc, bandwagon. :p UTSA should rename itself the University of San Antonio.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So Charlotte is going from nothing to FCS for two seasons to FBS?? Wow....then again Georgia Southern is doing something similar right? I just find that absurd that Charlotte can do that but a school like App St, who I believe wants to move up to FBS and just doesn't have a league invite, can't move up. So basically they allow crap schools to move up but teams that have been solid at the FCS level can't move up? Crazy.....

Reaction Score
So Charlotte is going from nothing to FCS for two seasons to FBS?? Wow....then again Georgia Southern is doing something similar right? I just find that absurd that Charlotte can do that but a school like App St, who I believe wants to move up to FBS and just doesn't have a league invite, can't move up. So basically they allow crap schools to move up but teams that have been solid at the FCS level can't move up? Crazy.....
It's about markets. I never heard about Georgia Southern moving up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Imagine how bad things are at East Carolina. They sit and watch Memphis join the Big East.

The demographics are on the side of the Southern schools. The Sun Belt is going to lap the MAC. The SAT question may escape them but
SEC:Big 10 will equal Sun Belt:MAC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
With the introduction of the playoff, and I believe it inevitable increase to 16 teams, the dynamics of college football will change completely. Any school will be able to succeed if it is willing to commit the resources to be successful, while there will also be many Miami's, Syracuse's and Wake's taking big paydays from their conference and reinvesting just enough to not piss off their alumni.
And we know that the NNBE schools won't just take paydays like Wake, etc, based on... what exactly?

Reaction Score
Imagine how bad things are at East Carolina. They sit and watch Memphis join the Big East.

The demographics are on the side of the Southern schools. The Sun Belt is going to lap the MAC. The SAT question may escape them but
SEC:Big 10 will equal Sun Belt:MAC.

Don't you think if that were the case that it would have happened already? The Sun Belch is no spring chicken. My money is on the MAC.

Reaction Score
It's about markets. I never heard about Georgia Southern moving up.

Just because you are in a market, doesn't mean that you will deliver a market. You really think Georgia State will deliver the Atlanta market?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't you think if that were the case that it would have happened already? The Sun Belch is no spring chicken. My money is on the MAC.

No, I think it's headed in that direction. The talent pool is slowly shifting and schools like Arkansas State and
FIU are taking it much more seriously than the northern schools.

Reaction Score
wischusky?

Did you miss the part that "we started from trailers" ... and that was in my recent memory? Only yesterday. We were on a field that had High Schoolish concessions. A weight room that Gold's Gym beat. Academic advisors that taught Jungle freshmen in the next hour after the big lineman. Get the picture?

Georgia State sure is fun to beat like laundry on the line. But ... I am here to tell you that a UTSA drawing 35,000 the first year playing FCS teams has a better future than many of your name programs. And the Big East (easily dismissable UConn, Cincy, USF, Louisville, Rutgers) has leapt hugely since 2004. That is our peer group. And you can hang your hat on tradition (the decrepit Carrier Dome being my symbol ... like the GOP elephant) OR you can see where this is going to be in 10 years> A new paradigm. IF NBC pays $11-17m per Football Program, I predict even the Memphis Tigers will be pumped up ... THINK like Arnold Schwarzenegger/ Lou Ferrigno transformation.

It is so easy to dismiss the first weekend results of Houston ... of SMU ... or Memphis. I am here to tell you that I would bet a lot of money that the long term viability of one of those performs better on the field than Duke or Wake. And maybe even our Bandbox Neighbor BC.

Like the Democrat's Donkey, the people who hang their hat on Syracuse's tradition are a bunch of jackasses.

Syracuse is way past it's sell date, and they have done too little to maintain their standing.

It's like my mother used to tell me. If you associate with dirtbags then you will be associated with dirtbags.

Our peers are who we are with at the moment. So with that in mind, we should be really selective about who let move into our neighborhood. Really selective. UTSA, Georgia State and UNCC are not our peers and they shouldn't be.

We would be degrading ourselves by allowing schools like that into our ranks. At least ECU has an appeal outside of the Carolinas. They have actual football acheivements to hang their hats on and an enduring fanbase. We already degraded ouselves letting Memphis State and Temple in. Enough is enough. Time to seal the watertight door and let them drown.

Reaction Score
No, I think it's headed in that direction. The talent pool is slowly shifting and schools like Arkansas State and
FIU are taking it much more seriously than the northern schools.

FIU is in Conference USA now. But keep your eyes open. They could be in the Big East any minute now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FIU is in Conference USA now. But keep your eyes open. They could be in the Big East any minute now.

Jesus this is impossible to keep track of. If it were an FIU trade for Memphis I might do it.

Reaction Score
Jesus this is impossible to keep track of. If it were an FIU trade for Memphis I might do it.

I know the feeling. I just found out last week, when someone posted the Schnellenberger article.

FIU would be way more appealing than Memphis State. (They will always be Memphis State to me).

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
IMPORTANT NOTE: Schenellenberger is at FAU, not FIU.

Kinda pertinent to the discussion imho...

Reaction Score
IMPORTANT NOTE: Schenellenberger is at FAU, not FIU.

Kinda pertinent to the discussion imho...

Yes, we know. But the FIU move to CUSA was discussed in the article I believe.

Reaction Score
http://www.cs-dev.dreamhosters.com/universal/flash/footprint56b.swf

WE HAVE ESPN conspiracy thinkers ... why NOT COMCAST?

What do Philadelphia & Memphis have in common? Can we look at the Comcast Map please? I would say both Memphis & Philly are important to Comcast as they spin the Big East on a regional all-day Saturday programming. And Hartford; Houston; Tampa/Orlando; maybe Boise; Navy; Rutgers (NJ); Cincinnati; maybe Louisville. And I'd go take over Dallas & San Diego if I were them. Look at South Bend, IN.

What else?

Well ... looky looky ... Denver & Salt Lake City are right in there with them

NO North Carolina ... hmmm

And the B12 footprint? Up & down the center from Texas North ... and Comcast is NOT there.

We can sniff & scratch at these Programs. But ... it does come down to Markets at some level.

Reaction Score
Just because you are in a market, doesn't mean that you will deliver a market. You really think Georgia State will deliver the Atlanta market?
I never read of Georgia State wanting to get into the BE. Georgia Tech has Atlanta, as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom