Future advantage of NIL for basketball vs other sports | The Boneyard

Future advantage of NIL for basketball vs other sports

Reaction Score
Let me start this thread off by admitting a bias. I don't gamble and every year I try to get pumped up for college football (I love the nfl) but it is very hard for me. I find it mostly non-competitive with the exception of a few games.

I am waiting for CBB to rival CFB in Fandom across the country. I am tired of linking CBB success with the monetary success of a FB program. I think with the fact that the tourney is the best product in all sports and the fact that we can actually identify college bball players by face (no helmets) and name that NIL in CBB (mens and women)will be bigger than CFB NIL.

I know there are a lot of traditionalists who think CFB will always be the biggest, but with concussions, injuries and now an unseen paradigm (NIL) I believe things could change. It's my hope anyway. Any agreements or disagreements welcome as always. #5

Reaction Score
College basketball will never be as big as college football. And the NBA will never be bigger than the NFL.

It's a culture thing with football, not really anything that NIL will change

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
There’s two different points at play in your post so I will try to address them both.

Point One: Competitiveness

I would be curious to hear how you think college football is “non-competitive”. Most all of the games and programs are actually very competitive as teams 15-90 are largely interchangeable in any given year.

I would venture to say that tends to be true in any sport or industry in life: there are your JP Morgans, Goldman Sachs, etc of the world and there are also your First Citizen’s and Comerica’s. Same goes in college sports: in football there is Alabama, Georgia, etc and there’s also Minnesota and Texas Tech, while in hoops there is UConn, Carolina, Kentucky, etc and there’s also VCU and Providence.

If the difference to you in “competitiveness” is the number of teams that have a realistic chance to win the national championship in a given year, that’s a separate discussion. The bar to field a national title caliber team (at least for now) is much lower in basketball than it is in football. This is inherently true due to the nature of the two sports- a few of which are summarized below:

- Limited Roster Sizes: 85 scholarships in football v 13 in basketball, the impact of one “elite” player on your hoops roster is much felt much greater than in football in terms of overall wins/losses.

- Larger Player Pool: Basketball is a global game. There are hundreds of players available that can play key roles (varying of course) on championship teams and rosters. Football predominantly recruits from 5-6 US States consisting of TX, GA, FL, CA, etc. This also makes geography largely irrelevant in the discussion, as teams from states like Kansas, Washington, Connecticut, etc have been able to historically field great teams on a recurring basis

- Lower Overall Program Startup, Maintenance Cost Requirements: The amount of money it requires to field a NCAA Tournament level team in basketball isn’t even remotely close to the amount of money it requires to field a CFP caliber team (speaking in general terms). Go look at the operating budgets for the CFP participants since the first rendition in 2014 and compare them to the basketball operating budgets for anyone in Division 1- it’s not even in the same stratosphere

Point Two: NIL Impact

NIL is going to largely be situationally driven, regardless of sport. The good news is women’s sports have actually also seen large amounts of success in obtaining and creating NIL opportunities. There was a really good writeup in the AP regarding data from OpenDorse on the first year of NIL operations from last July, linking here and quoting a passage below for reference:

As of June 20, men’s sports received 62.7% of total compensation in the NCAA and NAIA combined, compared with 37.3% for women’s sports, Opendorse said. Remove football and women flip it to 52.8% vs. 47.2% for men. The difference in Division III was stark through May 31: 82.9% men vs. 17.1% women.

Football (49.9%) and men’s basketball (17%) dominated total NIL compensation by sport in Opendorse’s platform through June 20, with women’s basketball (15.7%), women’s volleyball (2.3%) and softball (2.1%) rounding out the top five. Football also took the top spot in INFLCR’s number of NIL transactions through May 31 with 23.7%, followed by men’s basketball (22.3%), softball (8.2%), baseball (6%) and women’s basketball (4.7%).

When it comes to total NIL activities, Opendorse says football (29.3%) is the leader, then baseball (8%), men’s basketball (7.6%), women’s track and field (5.6%) and women’s volleyball (5.5%).

Overall, I would expect (and continue to expect) that football would dominate the overall dollar value in the NIL world. It’s the most popular sport in the US for a reason and the costs associated with those deals far outpace any other sport in the collegiate hemisphere. But that doesn’t mean that NIL can’t have a great impact on college basketball and team’s can’t use that to their advantage to populate their rosters with talented individuals. Again, smaller roster sizes, larger player pools, and lower costs to entry mean it should be easier for a team like UConn to remain at the top of the rung in hoops than in football, where it is really really difficult (if not downright impossible) to enter the club (similar to La Liga or other European soccer leagues).

Reaction Score
It's tough, I think both sports betting and NIL will benefit CBB - more games to bet on for gambling and, as you said, more identifiable players than in football for NIL.

But I wouldn't bet on this moving the needle that much, it ultimately comes down to viewership and each of the big four sports in the US has matured and seem fairly set in their hierarchy since the '80s. The only one I see that can make inroads (and has) is soccer.

There are always opportunities to grow conference or regional share, and maybe the NIL will showcase CBB athletes better to a national audience than football.

I don't think this is a bad thing though - having built a competitive basketball, hockey, and baseball program leaves only the football to catch up. With how bad the team has been up until last season, having an athletic program achieve all it has without meaningful football revenue is almost unheard of (or I can't think of any at least). If the only missing piece has the possibility of being the most lucrative I'd hope it's just a matter of time before we get (back) there.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this data. I'm not surprised that football is most in NIL but your numbers regarding the woman's game is very encouraging. I think that its going to even the playing field more and more in the coming years and schools will have to rely less on their football programs to carry the weight.

As for the first topic: I have given up defending my dislike of the sport to College football fans. I find it hard to watch. There are many who feel like I do, and many who feel like you do. But I am paying a little more attention now that Uconn is better. I live TN and trust me, it's hard to be in my position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, NIL and player recognition doesn't matter too much. At the end of the day, college sports is about rooting for laundry, the uniform, the state's school or your own alma mater. 1-4 years of relevance for each player doesn't allow for the NBA-style of rooting for a player as they move across teams. And NIL generally comes independent of actual Q score (outside of the influencers masquerading as athletes.) NIL seems to mostly come from affiliation with a program as a means to work around actual payment, not due to a person monetizing actual recognition.

In general, football is still a lot easier to follow and watch. 1 game per week generally on the same day. 20 seconds of action followed by 60 seconds of leisure time. It's a sport tailored much better to casual fans. And the culture surrounding Friday Night HS football and college/pro tailgating has become pretty entrenched.

Young people do watch/follow more basketball, this is true. I think it will catch up a bit in time, especially as the NBA has done an excellent job of globalizing the game. But the NFL has rebounded from the negative PR of the concussion scandals and is back to their highest ratings ever.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
CFB is more popular overall, but a big advantage basketball players have for NIL is that you can see who they are. Football players have to tell you who they are because they spend games covered in pads and with a helmet over their head. This makes basketball players relatively easy to market, comparatively.

Reaction Score
There’s two different points at play in your post so I will try to address them both.

Point One: Competitiveness

I would be curious to hear how you think college football is “non-competitive”. Most all of the games and programs are actually very competitive as teams 15-90 are largely interchangeable in any given year.

I would venture to say that tends to be true in any sport or industry in life: there are your JP Morgans, Goldman Sachs, etc of the world and there are also your First Citizen’s and Comerica’s. Same goes in college sports: in football there is Alabama, Georgia, etc and there’s also Minnesota and Texas Tech, while in hoops there is UConn, Carolina, Kentucky, etc and there’s also VCU and Providence.

If the difference to you in “competitiveness” is the number of teams that have a realistic chance to win the national championship in a given year, that’s a separate discussion. The bar to field a national title caliber team (at least for now) is much lower in basketball than it is in football. This is inherently true due to the nature of the two sports- a few of which are summarized below:

- Limited Roster Sizes: 85 scholarships in football v 13 in basketball, the impact of one “elite” player on your hoops roster is much felt much greater than in football in terms of overall wins/losses.

- Larger Player Pool: Basketball is a global game. There are hundreds of players available that can play key roles (varying of course) on championship teams and rosters. Football predominantly recruits from 5-6 US States consisting of TX, GA, FL, CA, etc. This also makes geography largely irrelevant in the discussion, as teams from states like Kansas, Washington, Connecticut, etc have been able to historically field great teams on a recurring basis

- Lower Overall Program Startup, Maintenance Cost Requirements: The amount of money it requires to field a NCAA Tournament level team in basketball isn’t even remotely close to the amount of money it requires to field a CFP caliber team (speaking in general terms). Go look at the operating budgets for the CFP participants since the first rendition in 2014 and compare them to the basketball operating budgets for anyone in Division 1- it’s not even in the same stratosphere

Point Two: NIL Impact

NIL is going to largely be situationally driven, regardless of sport. The good news is women’s sports have actually also seen large amounts of success in obtaining and creating NIL opportunities. There was a really good writeup in the AP regarding data from OpenDorse on the first year of NIL operations from last July, linking here and quoting a passage below for reference:

As of June 20, men’s sports received 62.7% of total compensation in the NCAA and NAIA combined, compared with 37.3% for women’s sports, Opendorse said. Remove football and women flip it to 52.8% vs. 11.2% for men. The difference in Division III was stark through May 31: 82.9% men vs. 17.1% women.

Football (49.9%) and men’s basketball (17%) dominated total NIL compensation by sport in Opendorse’s platform through June 20, with women’s basketball (15.7%), women’s volleyball (2.3%) and softball (2.1%) rounding out the top five. Football also took the top spot in INFLCR’s number of NIL transactions through May 31 with 23.7%, followed by men’s basketball (22.3%), softball (8.2%), baseball (6%) and women’s basketball (4.7%).

When it comes to total NIL activities, Opendorse says football (29.3%) is the leader, then baseball (8%), men’s basketball (7.6%), women’s track and field (5.6%) and women’s volleyball (5.5%).

Overall, I would expect (and continue to expect) that football would dominate the overall dollar value in the NIL world. It’s the most popular sport in the US for a reason and the costs associated with those deals far outpace any other sport in the collegiate hemisphere. But that doesn’t mean that NIL can’t have a great impact on college basketball and team’s can’t use that to their advantage to populate their rosters with talented individuals. Again, smaller roster sizes, larger player pools, and lower costs to entry mean it should be easier for a team like UConn to remain at the top of the rung in hoops than in football, where it is really really difficult (if not downright impossible) to enter the club (similar to La Liga or other European soccer leagues).
Clearly a huge cfb fan.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, NIL and player recognition doesn't matter too much. At the end of the day, college sports is about rooting for laundry, the uniform, the state's school or your own alma mater. 1-4 years of relevance for each player doesn't allow for the NBA-style of rooting for a player as they move across teams. And NIL generally comes independent of actual Q score (outside of the influencers masquerading as athletes.) NIL seems to mostly come from affiliation with a program as a means to work around actual payment, not due to a person monetizing actual recognition.

In general, football is still a lot easier to follow and watch. 1 game per week generally on the same day. 20 seconds of action followed by 60 seconds of leisure time. It's a sport tailored much better to casual fans. And the culture surrounding Friday Night HS football and college/pro tailgating has become pretty entrenched.

Young people do watch/follow more basketball, this is true. I think it will catch up a bit in time, especially as the NBA has done an excellent job of globalizing the game. But the NFL has rebounded from the negative PR of the concussion scandals and is back to their highest ratings ever.
Well put. culture/ tradition/rooting for laundry is the big driver in college football. It may be the only thing.
All of my big college football fan friends mention "watching OSU games with grandpa" or "watching game day with Dad before the Auburn game" but I suspect that the tik tok generation will move away from that. They buck tradition. Basketball, especially the women's game seems more tailored to the upcoming generation: Less violent, more inclusive. Just my prediction.

Reaction Score
@auror also, great point about the NBA. it's bballs time, in the next decade or so, to be the biggest sport in the country. It makes the most sense for the upcoming age group.

Reaction Score
NIL seems to mostly come from affiliation with a program as a means to work around actual payment, not due to a person monetizing actual recognition.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I doubt most NIL is about marketing return for the payer….it’s a way for a really rich guy to hang around the team and to convince some high profile recruit to pick rich guys Alma mater.

Do u think Weitsman’s s scrap biz needs some college kid to attract customers?

obviously there are marketing deals that benefit the payer but my hunch is those happen after a kid is already enrolled and gets famous

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Anything is possible. But as Mike F. proffered in his DL interview, JC building UConn into a sustainable powerhouse program was a once in a lifetime event. Nothing else like it since WWII. Let that sink in.

Reaction Score
Well put. culture/ tradition/rooting for laundry is the big driver in college football. It may be the only thing.
All of my big college football fan friends mention "watching OSU games with grandpa" or "watching game day with Dad before the Auburn game" but I suspect that the tik tok generation will move away from that. They buck tradition. Basketball, especially the women's game seems more tailored to the upcoming generation: Less violent, more inclusive. Just my prediction.
Ummm...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Let me start this thread off by admitting a bias. I don't gamble and every year I try to get pumped up for college football (I love the nfl) but it is very hard for me. I find it mostly non-competitive with the exception of a few games.
I'll offer you (this is open to any Boneyarder who hasn't yet embraced the football program) an open invitation to join any home game. You can tailgate DVegas & yours truly (I always have plenty of good food & drink) and sit with the two of us from a fantastic vantage point, very close to Business Lawyer and J187Money, a section over from Nostical (who normally stays on the football board). It will only cost you the time needed to enjoy pregame, the football game & postgame.
I am waiting for CBB to rival CFB in Fandom across the country. I am tired of linking CBB success with the monetary success of a FB program. I think with the fact that the tourney is the best product in all sports and the fact that we can actually identify college bball players by face (no helmets) and name that NIL in CBB (mens and women)will be bigger than CFB NIL.

I know there are a lot of traditionalists who think CFB will always be the biggest, but with concussions, injuries and now an unseen paradigm (NIL) I believe things could change. It's my hope anyway. Any agreements or disagreements welcome as always. #5
This may be far more hope than anything else. There is a massive amount of ground to make up for college basketball to be viewed by all (the powers that be in intercollegiate athletics & broadcasting, those who advertise during games, those who watch the games, sports media outlets, social media outlets) on a level remotely close to college football. We don't have to like it but it is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom