Funeral for Fishy's sister-in-law today | The Boneyard

Funeral for Fishy's sister-in-law today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since many of you seemed genuinely moved by the tragic story of Fishy's 39-year-old sister-in-law who died of brain cancer last weekend, I thought I'd post a short report on her funeral today.

Malini's funeral mass was held at a lovely white wood-framed Roman Catholic Church. (The church's beautiful simplicity made it look more like a Congregational Church, but it seemed the perfect place to celebrate the life of this beautiful woman who exemplified such simple virtues as love and caring and commitment and hard work and optimism. In other words, no pretense, nothing fancy).

The service was heart-breaking, but very warm and dignified. Malini's husband (Fish's brother) somehow managed to keep his composure as he delivered the most loving eulogy for his wife (whom he met on their first day of college). And the priest, who knew Malini well, gave a beautiful, personal remembrance about her. And her two little boys, aged 7 and 10, presented the Hosts at the beginning of Communion. That was when I lost it.

Malini had an Indian/Filipino background and had been raised in the Hindu religion before converting to Catholicism and raising her sons as Catholics; therefore, all her family members there (her mother, sisters, etc) were of the Hindu faith. The priest recognized this and embraced it, so he urged all those who would not be participating in Communion to come to the altar to receive a blessing while others were receiving a wafer. They all did. It was another very emotional moment.

Fishy, who has been an incredible comfort and help to his brother's family during several extremely difficult weeks, continued his role of family patriarch today, making sure things ran smoothly and making sure everyone was as comfortable as he or she could be -- especially the two little boys who adore him You all would have been proud of Fish.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
May God give John and his family comfort

Reaction Score
Thank you cto......

I don't know Fishy real well, just a few rounds of golf and a few Red Stripes, but I am sure the guy I met those few times will be a pillar of strength for his brother and his nephews through this very tough time in their lives. cto's description is exactly what I would envision. They are lucky to have him around and will need him, and he they in turn.

The best to all of his family.

Reaction Score
My heart and prayers go out for fishy and the entire fishy family. I am saddened by this news.

Reaction Score
My condolences go out to fishy and his family. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom