Fun article on the need for "chippiness" in women's hoops... starting with UConn/ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fun article on the need for "chippiness" in women's hoops... starting with UConn/ND

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Should we start calling Muffet by her number?
I'm fairly certain, as an outsider with no horse in this, that Muffet is not the number user. Pretty sure it is McCallie, the Duke coach, who does that. Although, in "mid-game" interviews, I have heard several coaches refer to a player on the other team by their number, but not after the game like McCallie.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain, as an outsider with no horse in this, that Muffet is not the number user. Pretty sure it is McCallie, the Duke coach, who does that. Although, in "mid-game" interviews, I have heard several coaches refer to a player on the other team by their number, but not after the game like McCallie.

Who really cares? It’s not a big deal. They all do it to some extent.

What chaps my hide is I remember a video where McGraw mocks McCallie for calling players by their number, and then subsequently did it herself down the line.

In the postgame video that I posted in the Marquette (18) @ Mississippi St (6) - 12/06/18 thread, Schaefer refers to an opposing player as #11. Big deal.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Her twitter-blocking of Stewie is gonna follow her around for a long time. I'm lovin' it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The author sounds like a NASCAR fan. Or maybe the NWA. We don't need that crap in WCBB.

Reaction Score
I think some coaches do it because UCONN doesn't have names on the jerseys.
Well I watched Number 2 on the Ms St team game against Marquet a night or two ago. Couldn't remember her name. I think she'll be a good player.

Reaction Score
I think some coaches do it because UCONN doesn't have names on the jerseys.

Really? The opposing coach, who scouts teams and reviews tapes before games, doesn't know the names of the starting players for the best team in the country? Where often at least two are All Americans. I find that impossible to believe.

Reaction Score
Speaking of intense rilvaries, I'd love to see a home and home series set up for the ladies of UCONN and MSU, would give each a chance to see where each team comes from as well as being a great barometer on the level of wcbb being played. I'd even be open to a 2 and 1 where we make 2 trips to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Speaking of intense rilvaries, I'd love to see a home and home series set up for the ladies of UCONN and MSU, would give each a chance to see where each team comes from as well as being a great barometer on the level of wcbb being played. I'd even be open to a 2 and 1 where we make 2 trips to Storrs.
I'd like to see it too. Don't know whether it's realistic while AEH is there, but ??? (Maybe we're getting to the point soon where there will frequently be a transfer from one team playing on the opponent's team.) In any case I don't think Geno would ask for the 2-for-1 situation - have never seen it. You would be treated with respect, and as an equal.

Reaction Score
Really? The opposing coach, who scouts teams and reviews tapes before games, doesn't know the names of the starting players for the best team in the country? Where often at least two are All Americans. I find that impossible to believe.
That was a tongue in cheek statement. I'm sure they know the starters and reserves that matter.

Reaction Score
That's how Uconn built its name: with home and homes against the very best in wcbb, U tenn. It seems only fair that the new best of the best plays home and home with the second best. Pat said: I'll play anyone anywhere anytime and she did. Alzheimers hurt the home and home--terrible desease!.

Reaction Score
This brought to mind me watching UConn absolutely dismantle a pretty good MSU team in 2016. Once I realized the far off dream of an upset was over about 4 minutes in, I distinctly remember thinking "I'm not gonna let this beatdown get to me." I just sat back and watched one of the best college basketball teams in history work. I kept rooting for my team (and hoping UConn didn't break every NCAA tourney record imaginable against them), but I had to appreciate the precision.

I think Vic did the same thing in his own way. After getting over the loss and embarrassment, he set about becoming a better offensive coach.

Back to the pettiness point. I knew UConn would not let up until near the end in that 2016 game and that was OK. It was OK because I understood why that was important because Vic coached that way as well. Let up or not be focused in the easy ones and it'll creep into the big ones. Nope, can't do that.

It was also OK that UConn wouldn't let up in 2016 because I knew they would finish it with class and not humiliate their thoroughly defeated opponent any further. They would show respect and move on.

I appreciate that about the women's game and UConn specifically.

Not only that, but after the wipeout Vic sought out advice from Geno himself on fixing his anemic offense. Geno complied, and sure enough it came back to bite him in the 2017 tourney. A lot of Geno haters focus on his teams’ habit of winning by 30-40 points and call it “bad sportsmanship.” They never say a word about his generosity in giving advice and assistance to other coaches. Can anyone even imagine Muffet or Kim Mulkey doing the same?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
the women play a beautiful game and it needs no WWE pettiness to make it watchable.

Agreed. Keep the pettiness to the message boards (Oh and ask Duke about their waiters.)

Reaction Score
Missouri's Sophie Cunningham is a good player, but I will be glad when she is gone. I don't think her "style" is good for WCBB.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Missouri's Sophie Cunningham is a good player, but I will be glad when she is gone. I don't think her "style" is good for WCBB.
After some notoriously chippy Missouri games last year (esp. against South Carolina), the refs are clearly onto her and she's having a lot of foul trouble this year. When Mizzou lost at home to Green Bay, she sat for most of the 1st half and ended up fouling out. She played only 18 minutes in the West Virginia game as well.

Now that Arike has a well-earned reputation for crossing the line, we'll see how things go for her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After some notoriously chippy Missouri games last year (esp. against South Carolina), the refs are clearly onto her and she's having a lot of foul trouble this year. When Mizzou lost at home to Green Bay, she sat for most of the 1st half and ended up fouling out. She played only 18 minutes in the West Virginia game as well.

Now that Arike has a well-earned reputation for crossing the line, we'll see how things go for her.

Maybe they can add an 4th official for the ND games....... with the sole job of watching #24 :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom