Fuller: UConn's Stokes delivers from long range | The Boneyard

Fuller: UConn's Stokes delivers from long range

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/10/all-of-her-teammates-had-long-since.html

It'll be interesting to see how many 3s Kiah's attempts during the season. I'd settle for her hitting mid-range jumpers to open things up for Stewie and others in the lane.

There was a sense of glee in Stewart's voice when she spoke about the offensive potential of the player most likely to be the Huskies' starting center this season.

"I don't think any of you have ever seen her (make a 3-pointer)," Stewart said.

Well, that is no longer the case.

Of the seven field goals made by the women's players in last night's First Night scrimmage, four of them were 3-pointers. It was hardly a shocker to see Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, perhaps the best 3-point shooter in the country, hit one. Morgan Tuck made seven in the eight games she played a season ago and eight of the 12 shots Tierney Lawlor as a freshmen came from behind the 3-point line so it was not a stunning revelation that they also made one. However, Stokes confidently attempted a pair of 3-pointers last night, one went in and one was off the target.

In 107 career games Stokes has attempted 276 shots, all of them from inside the 3-point line. However, during shooting drills at Wednesday's practice Stokes was hitting from downtown with as much regularity as any other player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff. I wonder if Geno will allow her to launch 1 or 2 each game... Even if not, it's great to see that she has a really good mid range game - like Stef - and can potentially pull big defenders away from the basket to guard her...

HGN

Reaction Score
It tells me that she has developed a lot of confidence over the summer in her offensive game.....And that's what she has always needed: ....CONFIDENCE. With more confidence Stokes will play a more complete game and be a factor on BOTH ends of the court. Creating a real problem for opponents.:p

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see how many 3s Kiah's attempts during the season. I'd settle for her hitting mid-range jumpers to open things up for Stewie and others in the lane.

In 107 career games Stokes has attempted 276 shots, all of them from inside the 3-point line. However, during shooting drills at Wednesday's practice Stokes was hitting from downtown with as much regularity as any other player.

kiah.jpeg

IMO, the scouting report for defending against UConn this year was probably going to highlight keeping Kiah off the offensive boards, in close.
No where would it have included, "Be sure to guard her out at the 3 point line." Opposing centers could stay at the foul line, clogging the top of the lane. ;)
Until last night. :cool: Take a 3 pt shot, they have to notice. Make a 3 pt shot, they have to cover her.

Opposing head coach: "You mean guard Kaleena at the 3 pt arc, right?"
Opposing asst coach: "Of course, but also Kiah."
Opposing head coach: "You mean the Canadian? I thought she spelled it KIA."
Opposing asst coach: "No, Kiah. The one w/ that blocks all the shots."
Opposing head coach: "Oh crap." :p

Go Kiah..!!

Reaction Score
Kiah has always had the ability to make the mid-range shot. She seemed more inclined to take that shot as a freshman and while it was a flat shot, I thought she was fairly proficient. I don't see her taking too many 3's, but I do see her making some excellent post moves like the one she put on Stanford in the national semi. I've played it back several times just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. It was real.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Players gain confidence when they start making shots. Players start making shots when they work on their shot. It sounds as if Stokes has been working on her shot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Players gain confidence when they start making shots. Players start making shots when they work on their shot. It sounds as if Stokes has been working on her shot.
Confidence not only in their shot but also in the system they are supposed to be running - last year was the first time that Kiah actually looked confident on offense in where she was supposed to be on the floor and what she was supposed to be doing when she got there! Hopefully she can combine that confidence with more confidence with her shot and when she is supposed to take it!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I recall reading, maybe during the middle of her sophomore year, that Geno said Kiah was hitting treys in practice regularly. Last year, Stef shot .792 on FTs and Kiah shot .698. I think Stef is a better shooter than Kiah, but I think Kiah is a pretty good shooter. I'd like to see her take jumpers from 10' out to the arc. I think she can hit them fairly well.

Reaction Score
Kiah brngs foot speed t the post like we have never seen at UCONN. She can run like a deer and that will drive opposing coaches mad trying to slow her and UCONN down.......I like this team on paper and Geno will have them running from the opening tip..............UCONN's practices should be fun o watch and learn about the throughbreads on this team

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kiah brngs foot speed t the post like we have never seen at UCONN. She can run like a deer and that will drive opposing coaches mad trying to slow her and UCONN down..I like this team on paper and Geno will have them running from the opening tip....UCONN's practices should be fun o watch and learn about the throughbreads on this team

Didn't Tina Charles have pretty good footwork? She is going to be better than Charles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom