Fuller Talks Kia and Team Canada | The Boneyard

Fuller Talks Kia and Team Canada

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn’s Kia Nurses headed for Canadian training camp

Just following our girl. A team leader.

“We definitely have been on the rise and our younger age groups have been doing a great job and everything Canada basketball has put in place,” Nurse said. “I came up in those ranks when I was really young so when they find somebody who they think has that chance, that ability to make a difference, that is for sure something we would love to have. Our talent pool is bigger than ever and I think that is big for us.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think this article demonstrates that even though Crystal Dangerfield is uber-talented and probably much more college-ready this year than she was last year, she will still be facing a severe uphill battle to displace Kia as UConn's point guard in 2017-18. Kia is a college veteran who has started since the second game of her freshman season, and who has seen it all at the college level (including two very difficult losses 111 games apart). She is also the starting point guard for the Canadian National Team. At age 21, she is an "elder" on that team, as she is for UConn.

Most likely, she will start every game in her senior year, barring injury.

Reaction Score
UConn’s Kia Nurses headed for Canadian training camp

Just following our girl. A team leader.

“We definitely have been on the rise and our younger age groups have been doing a great job and everything Canada basketball has put in place,” Nurse said. “I came up in those ranks when I was really young so when they find somebody who they think has that chance, that ability to make a difference, that is for sure something we would love to have. Our talent pool is bigger than ever and I think that is big for us.”

Kia, an ALL North American on Team Canada and Uconn---Team Canada needs her leadership, defense, and scoring--and especially her "take no prisoners" attitude. Uconn will need her this fall and in Italy as a true leader.

Rocky--FyI--my annual fawn birth has been verified. Tonight, while walking my 538,400 sqft periphery--I stumbled on Mom again (saw her 10 ft from the house eating crab apples) she jumped a 5 ft fence and took my dogs for a long trail--almost immediately i saw the fawn--25 ft in front of me--she looked a long time as i came closer and scooted across my fields to a clump of trees and was gone. She'll be in my garden at dawn--I've seen physical evidence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky--FyI--my annual fawn birth has been verified. Tonight, while walking my 538,400 sqft periphery--I stumbled on Mom again (saw her 10 ft from the house eating crab apples) she jumped a 5 ft fence and took my dogs for a long trail--almost immediately i saw the fawn--25 ft in front of me--she looked a long time as i came closer and scooted across my fields to a clump of trees and was gone. She'll be in my garden at dawn--I've seen physical evidence.

This would be the mom with triplets a while back? Ah, nature, I love it.

Reaction Score
I think this article demonstrates that even though Crystal Dangerfield is uber-talented and probably much more college-ready this year than she was last year, she will still be facing a severe uphill battle to displace Kia as UConn's point guard in 2017-18. Kia is a college veteran who has started since the second game of her freshman season, and who has seen it all at the college level (including two very difficult losses 111 games apart). She is also the starting point guard for the Canadian National Team. At age 21, she is an "elder" on that team, as she is for UConn.

Most likely, she will start every game in her senior year, barring injury.
And Kia is also 7" taller and much bigger and stronger (and meaner) than Crystal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And Kia is also 7" taller and much bigger and stronger (and meaner) than Crystal.
Crystal has guns though, I wouldn't test her.
hc-jacobs-uconn-baylor-streak-1118-20161117

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have only a few words for Kia as she departs for Team Canada. Good luck. Please peep Laeticia Amihere to the greatness of UCONN so she can become Canada's next great import.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Really simple question: how does this impact Kia's presence/absence for the pre-Italy practices and the Italy trip???

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Really simple question: how does this impact Kia's presence/absence for the pre-Italy practices and the Italy trip???
I don't see a negative impact for Kia, due to injury Kia has missed regular season games and then had to reintegrated into the starting line up. It does create an opportunity for Crystal or Megan to get reps with what are projected to be the other starters (KLS, Gabby, Napheesa, & Azura). Don't think it will make a difference by October, unless something goes exceptionally well or poorly.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco: the link to the story doesn't work for me. You are suggesting that she will miss all of our practices and the trip??? If so, I do essentially agree with you about the extra time some others will get due to her absence....with no downside for Kia. Hoping that one Mikayla Coombs earns some of that time. I can see her getting into the regular rotation given her point skills and defense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She'l miss all practice and part of the Italy trip. From the article.

"When the team returns after the end of the tournament, Nurse will need to head to Italy to join her UConn teammates on its European tour. Barring an early exit by Canada, Nurse will miss the first couple of exhibition games the Huskies will be playing. Regardless of how much time she spends on the court with her UConn teammates, she knows that trip to Italy will be invaluable as the Huskies set their sights on an unprecedented 12th NCAA Division I women’s basketball national title.

"It will be great in terms of team chemistry, getting to play with each other a little earlier than usual but also having the opportunity to go and have fun,” Nurse said. “We know the coaches are planning some really exciting stuff for us, stuff we probably wouldn’t get to see just hanging around here so I am excited for it.”

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Kia will join team in Italy after Canada prep. What day depends on Canadians schedule, but she told Fuller she was going to be in Italy with our team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: the link to the story doesn't work for me. You are suggesting that she will miss all of our practices and the trip??? If so, I do essentially agree with you about the extra time some others will get due to her absence....with no downside for Kia. Hoping that one Mikayla Coombs earns some of that time. I can see her getting into the regular rotation given her point skills and defense.
From the article:
"When the team returns after the end of the tournament, Nurse will need to had to Italy to join her UConn teammates on its European tour. Barring an early exit by Canada, Nurse will miss the first couple of exhibition games the Huskies will be playing."
She will be available to play in the regular games, but I though we had a previous post that said she will likely not play in Italy @UConnCat maybe? . I forgot about Coombs and possibly Lexi and Andi also.

Reaction Score
This would be the mom with triplets a while back? Ah, nature, I love it.
Unfortunately--neither were formally introduced to me--They come from a poor family --I know because they all wear the same suit of clothes--so, as a lover of the Wild, you would know I can't tell one for another--but mama deer are great mama's and protective.
This one is stuck within my fence--which happens often--until mama can get her to follow mom to the forest--but I have seen a tiny one maybe 3 months old jump my 5 ft fence--I saw one with a broken front leg (hit by a mower) jump that fence--they eat my fruit tree fruit and garden squash and buds--and survive in my compound. As a youth i would have shot them--but life is precious to me now --and i give nothing a ticket to the next world what i have --they can have.

Reaction Score
Well, between the three of us I think the message has been delivered to blakeon18 and any other curious Yarders.
Where is KIB when he is seriously needed--!!!
As curious as I am---Kib is probably exhausted from examining my post--for errors--

Reaction Score
Why would Dangerfield need to beat out kia? Dangerfield will be the starting pg for uconn for the next 3 seasons. Gabby, kls, and Collier will not play pg for uconn ever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately--neither were formally introduced to me--They come from a poor family --I know because they all wear the same suit of clothes--so, as a lover of the Wild, you would know I can't tell one for another--but mama deer are great mama's and protective.
This one is stuck within my fence--which happens often--until mama can get her to follow mom to the forest--but I have seen a tiny one maybe 3 months old jump my 5 ft fence--I saw one with a broken front leg (hit by a mower) jump that fence--they eat my fruit tree fruit and garden squash and buds--and survive in my compound. As a youth i would have shot them--but life is precious to me now --and i give nothing a ticket to the next world what i have --they can have.

Yeah. I had a 4 point (8 in eastern lingo) in velvet inside a very tight fence I have around some juvenile Shaking Aspens in the predawn this AM. I made him nervous so he took one small step and slide over the fence like a Grande Prix jumper. Gabby couldn't have done it any slicker! So much for the utility of that fence. The deer repellant spray comes out now ... sigh.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why would Dangerfield need to beat out kia? Dangerfield will be the starting pg for uconn for the next 3 seasons. Gabby, kls, and Collier will not play pg for uconn ever.

Let me add that Z will never play PG either, though she may go end to end a few times, just to keep it interesting.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I appreciate all the info. Substantial....yet figurative...payments are already in the mail.

Idle rambling: my impression is that Kia [realistically] views herself as one of the faces [maybe THE face] of Canadian women's basketball over the next decade.
Leader of national teams...Olympic teams....world championship teams etc. I suspect she has plans to at least grab a bronze or silver medal in one of those competitions...maybe a gold here or there
with an upset win over a USA team filled with her former UConn teammates.

Hmmm...how about playing in the WNBA and getting some endorsement deals from companies in Canada?
Hmmm#2...how about down the road luring a WNBA franchise to Toronto with the Raptors embracing that idea...with Kia leading that team??

Reaction Score
Yeah. I had a 4 point (8 in eastern lingo) in velvet inside a very tight fence I have around some juvenile Shaking Aspens in the predawn this AM. I made him nervous so he took one small step and slide over the fence like a Grande Prix jumper. Gabby couldn't have done it any slicker! So much for the utility of that fence. The deer repellant spray comes out now ... sigh.
I have a neighbor 1 mile or more away--he has 5 sons---secluded spot--and he claims human urine keeps his crops deer free.
Does Deer repell work?? When I arrived here i had a herd/pride/group of about 20 deer that parked on my property dawn and dusk--recently only mom and her fawn- signs of Bear--but bare i frighten them away.

Reaction Score

My guess--as every other speculation is--Geno, in his loyalty, shall make Kia a starting guard--she has been there for him for 3 plus years--and Geno pays back. Danger, if she has improved as we all hope and expect may be the first off the bench and get almost equal time to Kia--Kia--a kid and energetic--had used and abused her legs and body playing (in my opinion) way too much WBB too long needs some rest to give her best and make the Wnba. It is great Kia will rest her tired body in Italy (at least in basketball).

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you believe, as I do, that Azura will start, and if you accept that KLS / Napheesa /Gabby are definite starters, then the PG position will come down to Kia vs. Crystal. Crystal probably has more long-term upside than Kia (although that remains to be seen in the 3-point shooting department), and it is possible that she will show that potential this year. However, based on defense and contributions to date, I have to believe that Kia will start every game unless she is injured. It may get to the point where Kia starts but Crystal gets the majority of minutes (as with Caroline and Bria a few years ago), but I think even that is unlikely this year. Crystal will certainly get a lot of minutes, but probably not as a starter.

I know that you think that Napheesa will not start, but I join with the rest of the Boneyard in deeming that opinion to be ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom