Fuller: Geno on the pressure of the Olympics | The Boneyard

Fuller: Geno on the pressure of the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But Geno was also able to put the whole pressure thing in perspective:

"I turn that around a lot of times and I will for this team too," Auriemma said. "There are a lot of people out of work today so pressure is you try to pay your mortgage. When you have the best team and somebody says go win the Olympic games I don't know that's pressure so I try to get them to understand what real pressure is. Real pressure is a single mom trying to raise three kids with $30,000 (a year in salary), that is pressure. You taking a charter over to England and staying at the best hotels and leaving whenever you want 24 hours a day playing basketball and saying 'yo, go beat those guys.' Guess what, if that is
pressure to you then you have a rude awakening ahead of you."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
great article. I really like how grounded Geno is, how he sees reality vs privilege.
What am I saying? Great article? No (well yes, but) great coach, great person.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pressure is also being the new kid in school, speaking broken English, and eating strange-looking eggplant Parmesan sandwiches.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Pressure is also being the new kid in school, speaking broken English, and eating strange-looking eggplant Parmesan sandwiches.

And wearing clothes made by your mother. As Geno once said, "you haven't lived until you've gone to school wearing clothes your mother made."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
He mentions Sue, DT, Tina, Big Syl, Catch and Angel. Just those six. I'm not trying to make a big deal about who he did not mention, but it's interesting, even for a semi-casual comment.

Maybe he thinks someone needs to have a fire lit under them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom