Fuller Article on the U23 Experience | The Boneyard

Fuller Article on the U23 Experience

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some of the material we've read elsewhere, but there is fresh stuff too.

Huskies enjoy productive trip to U.S. U-23 camp

"The time in Colorado allowed Stevens, who sat out the 2016-17 season after transferring from Duke, to get used to playing in live game situations.

“I think I had a good balance of playing in and out,” Stevens said. “I think before I would either stay outside or play inside a lot more. I tried to do my best to run the floor hard.

“Being here has taught me a lot how to push myself to that next level. It is a work in progress definitely, I not anywhere near where I want to be but knocking down shots when I am tired and little things that we work on every day in practice, we can only do that when you are matched up against (other great players) so that was fun.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very strong statements from Geno and others. :D:D

Auriemma was out in Colorado for much of the training camp and he saw stretches where Stevens was absolutely dominant.

“She struggled a little bit getting her timing when they played over there but when she got it, you could tell that she was the best player on the floor,” Auriemma said. “Little by little that is starting to come back. I think some of the people who hasn’t seen her play, (Louisville and U-23 head coach) Jeff Walz obviously saw her play at Duke and he was quick to comment that is not the same player who played at Duke her sophomore year. I am anxious to see how it goes.”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
When you read/ hear of Lou, Gabby and Z talking about still improving their game, that they are still works in progress, it bodes well for UConn and not for our opponents. This is what sets UConn apart of the rest - the desire and will to continually improve, to not be satisfied with the present. We know from another article that Pheesa is in the same mold.

The anticipation of the new season and what will unfold - can't wait.

Reaction Score
Of course she's not the same player that she was at Duke. She just spent a year getting coached by one of the best basketball coaches on earth.

The same is also true had she stayed at Duke. She would have had one more year playing div 1 bb and would have improved. But she would not have the confidence of being with the best basketball program and of course playing and practicing at 100% all the time can do wonder to an athlete. But nonetheless, she would have progressed as fast if not faster than Rebecca Greenwell had she stayed there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry guys, but the best player on the U23 floor is going to start this year for UConn..
But Maya was the best player on the floor as a freshman, and she didn't start until injuries depleted the roster.

Z will be a great player and get 25-28 minutes. Whether she starts or not.

Reaction Score
If Gabby starts hitting 3-pointers, I think of David Thompson and Maya Moore. :)
Re Gabby...my words July 2, 2015:

"If Gabby can get get that quick first step and jumper down, her quickness & leaping ability may have fans thinking of a WCBB version of David Thompson, or Michael Jordan."

I'm glad to see that others seem to agree:)

Reaction Score
But Maya was the best player on the floor as a freshman, and she didn't start until injuries depleted the roster.

As you know, Z is not a freshman; she's had a full year of playing WCBB. She's also had a year of being coached by CD and What's His Name and going against last year's starters in UConn's unforgiving practices. Improvement was expected. As for starting, she'll be out there with Napheesa, Gabby, Lou, and Kia when the season begins. For my money, 5 AA's. Can't wait.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry guys, but the best playerS on the U23 floor ARE going to start this year for UConn..
I fixed your post. :) IMHO the best players (plural) on the U23 floor ARE going to start this year for UCONN (Gabby, Pheesa, Lou and maybe Azura)!!! ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Well Maya had seniors in front of her. Since UConn's biggest issue last year was size match ups AZ starts and woe to the team that thinks smaller forwards are a better defensive match up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom