Fuller: "About Ten Thousand Seats Available for Boise St" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fuller: "About Ten Thousand Seats Available for Boise St"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have two friends that want to go, but are balking at the $40 price tag. Now, that doesn't seem like a crazy amount, especially for a name like Boise, but it just illustrates how bad the pricing model is.

There's no way game day tickets in the corners ( the top of the rent tickets) shouldn't be sold for $25ish.

I posted in another thread but if anyone is looking to sell two and can meet up vebefore the game to let me know.

I can give you one. I wont be there until about 10:30 on Saturday though.

Reaction Score
Yes, let's alienate fans, viewers, and potential fans while we try to survive conference realignment.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm not cutting off anything, I simply asked when do you think someone will suggest it. But apparently that's a tough concept to grasp. And unless you have some data to back it up that shows blacking out games doesn't work, I will suggest that maybe it does because they still do it places. And alienating people that sit on their butts while we flounder are really not a concern to me anyway, those that really want to see the game will get off the couches and get in the stadium.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have the ability to block the games - and no way would ESPN - as nobody who isn't within an hour would ever watch this team.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have the ability to block the games - and no way would ESPN - as nobody who isn't within an hour would ever watch this team.

I didn't say they did, but they can make suggestions and I really didn't follow the rest of your post because there are plenty of us over an hour away that attend home and watch away games

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
maybe not in numbers but there are a few of us.

Reaction Score
I'm not cutting off anything, I simply asked when do you think someone will suggest it. But apparently that's a tough concept to grasp. And unless you have some data to back it up that shows blacking out games doesn't work, I will suggest that maybe it does because they still do it places. And alienating people that sit on their butts while we flounder are really not a concern to me anyway, those that really want to see the game will get off the couches and get in the stadium.

I don't think anyone who matters will suggest it because it's a terrible idea, even if it were possible for CFB.

I took your question as a suggestion we do it, since you've posted 3+/- times after that arguing that it makes sense, I think I interpreted your question appropriately. If you think we should try it, just say so. You're posting as if I shouldn't think it's a bad idea. That tells me you think it's a good idea.

You've suggested it does work because the NFL does it. But regarding tough concepts to grasp. Look up "revenue sharing" and then maybe you'll understand why what the NFL does isn't remotely close to what happens in CFB.

The person sitting on their butt watching could one day be the fan buying tickets when they see something they want to be a part of. When ratings no longer matter, and sponsors no longer care to associated with UConn athletics, I'll agree with you and say the people watching on TV don't matter. Until then, I don't think you really understand what it is you are suggesting UConn do. Sorry, I don't think you really understand what you are suggesting as a possibility that works elsewhere while asking when someone will suggest UConn do it.

Reaction Score
I'll be definitely be there. Should be a good game.

Since we are talking tickets and Boise State, I saw that the Broncos sold a bit over 20K season tickets for its 2014 season. BSU's stadium is a little smaller than ours. After all the success BSU has had I thought that number would be higher. Maybe it's just me but I think that makes UConn's 21K sold this year (per Des) look pretty good.

Reaction Score
I'll be definitely be there. Should be a good game.

Since we are talking tickets and Boise State, I saw that the Broncos sold a bit over 20K season tickets for its 2014 season. BSU's stadium is a little smaller than ours. After all the success BSU has had I thought that number would be higher. Maybe it's just me but I think that makes UConn's 21K sold this year (per Des) look pretty good.
Until you consider the nearby population basis, the size of the student body (2/3 the size of Uconn), then you realize it is not an apples to apples comparison. The also still consistently draw over 32,000 to their home games.

If you ever have a chance to see a game on the smurf turf, go. Great tailgating atmosphere including allowing people out to get refreshments and back in at halftime, smart football fans and a really fun small city. And before you ask, I had a number of meetings about 8 years ago out there with Albertsons and they convinced me to stay over for a game. It was a heck of a weekend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't say they did, but they can make suggestions and I really didn't follow the rest of your post because there are plenty of us over an hour away that attend home and watch away games

Seriously you want to be technical and semantic about it? Obviously there are UConn fans an hour away and more. No non UConn fan is going to watch this team if there are any options.

Reaction Score
they blackout events all the time, college football is no different than the NFL. But thanks for letting everyone know you are happy being part of the problem instead of the cure! ;-)

Your welcome and just stating the obvious. If a game is covered by ESPN then they do not black out access to that game on ESPN 3 based on the location of your internet connection. So therefore you can still watch the game even if local TV broadcast is blacked out (sans if the game in a SNY game). NFL is different because they don't have one company that owns licensing to 90% of the broadcast games like ESPN does in CFB.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Until you consider the nearby population basis, the size of the student body (2/3 the size of Uconn), then you realize it is not an apples to apples comparison. The also still consistently draw over 32,000 to their home games.

If you ever have a chance to see a game on the smurf turf, go. Great tailgating atmosphere including allowing people out to get refreshments and back in at halftime, smart football fans and a really fun small city. And before you ask, I had a number of meetings about 8 years ago out there with Albertsons and they convinced me to stay over for a game. It was a heck of a weekend.

But then you have to adjust for the fact that BSU is the winningest program of the 2000's and we just suffered through a hell-ish three years (coaching & conference-wise). once you factor that in, we have about 10x better fans that BSU.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone who matters will suggest it because it's a terrible idea, even if it were possible for CFB.

I took your question as a suggestion we do it then you took it wrong, since you've posted 3+/- times after that arguing that it makes sense It's a conversation sorry to reply now , I think I interpreted your question appropriately you thought wrong. If you think we should try it, just say so I asked what I asked, stop trying to read into it. You're posting as if I shouldn't think it's a bad idea you can disagree it's ok it's when you become disagreeable people will tend to have a problem (me). That tells me you think it's a good idea it may be, I'm not as absolute as you apparently, nothing else is bringing out the locals, not the competition, not the price, not the weather, NOTHING, the only thing that hasn't been done in a while is winning but even when Edsall was here and our teams were decent attendance was declining so...

You've suggested it does work because the NFL does it. But regarding tough concepts to grasp. Look up "revenue sharing" and then maybe you'll understand why what the NFL does isn't remotely close to what happens in CFB. So because the NFL has revenue sharing it means you can't blackout a game in CFB? Got it. Good point. If I'm not mistaken gate sales are solely UConn's the advertising on TV is ESPN's the minimal amount they pay for the AAC content, including Tier 3 which is why we no longer have the SNY, deal is probably covered in the first week or two's game advertising more than likely.

The person sitting on their butt watching could one day be the fan buying tickets when they see something they want to be a part of. Win the day today, I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow When ratings no longer matter, and sponsors no longer care to associated with UConn athletics, I'll agree with you and say the people watching on TV don't matter. And I didn't say ratings, sponsors and people watching on TV don't matter, good try. Last I checked there signal goes beyond CT. ESPN will find a way to make their money if the need came Until then, I don't think you really understand what it is you are suggesting UConn do. Oh but I do, if you just addressed the question by saying I don't think anyone will ever suggest it and this is why, we would probably be done already. Instead you chose to try to belittle, so here we are. Sorry, I don't think you really understand what you are suggesting as a possibility that works elsewhere while asking when someone will suggest UConn do it. The concept of revenue sharing is grasped. But if it was a meaningless point because of revenue sharing then why would they blackout games? Not only in the NFL but every sport. BTW the blackout policy isn't per team in the NFL it's a league policy because the gate split is a 60 -40 between team and league and every team is subject to it. It's touched on in the article I attached, the Jags actually use it as an incentive for ticket sales. And I do realize that CFB and the NFL are two completely different things.

I attend the games, I could care less if those people in the surrounding CT area who have the means but choose to sit at home are able watch the games on TV. So in that respect yes I'm arguing for it. Even if it means alienating the people who can't find the time to come out when we need them most!

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...-07-13/jaguars-will-not-lower-blackout-number

Reaction Score
Your welcome and just stating the obvious. If a game is covered by ESPN then they do not black out access to that game on ESPN 3 based on the location of your internet connection. So therefore you can still watch the game even if local TV broadcast is blacked out (sans if the game in a SNY game). NFL is different because they don't have one company that owns licensing to 90% of the broadcast games like ESPN does in CFB.

I have seen them blacked out on ESPN3 before, it's not impossible they completely control which games go where, and yes there are always back channels to get it but also keep in mind not everyone is tech savvy or computer literate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I attend the games, I could care less if those people in the surrounding CT area who have the means but choose to sit at home are able watch the games on TV. So in that respect yes I'm arguing for it. Even if it means alienating the people who can't find the time to come out when we need them most!

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...-07-13/jaguars-will-not-lower-blackout-number

Of course they have the technology. It still makes no sense for ESPN or ABC. If you owned the TV rights why would you take it away from the people most likely to watch?

All blackout rules do in the NFL is force them to play games with 'sales' and make locals fans of other teams. If it wasn't for MLB blackout rules it would be the dumbest policy in sports.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

I have family in Boise ( my father is originally from there) and regardless of their season ticket sales they pack the stadium for every game. They have a very solid fan base.

Reaction Score
Of course they have the technology. It still makes no sense for ESPN or ABC. If you owned the TV rights why would you take it away from the people most likely to watch?

All blackout rules do in the NFL is force them to play games with 'sales' and make locals fans of other teams. If it wasn't for MLB blackout rules it would be the dumbest policy in sports.

Like I said I don't know if it would be good or not, but having a weak link in the content that they own isn't in their best interest where TV advertising is concerned and all they care about is their end. So is there a point where they would listen if someone did suggest it to possibly boost interest in order to secure a stronger future. I don't know, it was only a question.

I don't know about the whole making fans of other teams thing, I have been a Browns fan nearly my whole life and rarely get to watch them and never once thought for a minute to change allegiances. But that just me, I'm a loyal dumbarse.

Reaction Score

Do you even understand what that blog says?

It says "Teams could get extensions (and the Jaguars often did) and also had the option of paying the league 34 cents on the dollar for every unsold non-premium seat in order to avoid the blackout (which the Jaguars have done as well)."

The Jags asked for extensions, and then decided to pay the NFL 34 cents on the dollar for every unsold premium ticket...to avoid blackouts.

I don't even know why I'm discussing this with you. You want sellouts? Bob Diaco has to start winning games, and Warde and Susan have to get us in a better conference. Those are the only things that will pack the stadium. Blackouts won't do $#!7

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like I said I don't know if it would be good or not, but having a weak link in the content that they own isn't in their best interest where TV advertising is concerned and all they care about is their end. So is there a point where they would listen if someone did suggest it to possibly boost interest in order to secure a stronger future. I don't know, it was only a question.

I don't know about the whole making fans of other teams thing, I have been a Browns fan nearly my whole life and rarely get to watch them and never once thought for a minute to change allegiances. But that just me, I'm a loyal dumbarse.

How would removing the games from television boost future interest in the games on television?

You can watch the Browns anytime you want. Do you think taking the Chargers and Jaguars off television make those teams any more popular in their local markets?

Of course it doesn't, all it does is make the majority of the population ignore them.

I rarely go to Gampel for basketball games. If they started blacking them out the last reaction I am going to have is to go.

The local people watching on television aren't choosing between going and television. They are choosing between television and doing something else.

Reaction Score
The Stony Brook game was viewable for me on ESPN 3 here in Florida. It said it was subject to black outs in certain areas and provided a map of the black out areas and non-black out areas. I have used ESPN 3 to watch numerous Uconn games over the years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Stony Brook game was viewable for me on ESPN 3 here in Florida. It said it was subject to black outs in certain areas and provided a map of the black out areas and non-black out areas. I have used ESPN 3 to watch numerous Uconn games over the years.

Generally they black out games on ESPN3 when you can watch on television.

Reaction Score
Do you even understand what that blog says?

It says "Teams could get extensions (and the Jaguars often did) and also had the option of paying the league 34 cents on the dollar for every unsold non-premium seat in order to avoid the blackout (which the Jaguars have done as well)."

The Jags asked for extensions, and then decided to pay the NFL 34 cents on the dollar for every unsold premium ticket...to avoid blackouts.

I don't even know why I'm discussing this with you. You want sellouts? Bob Diaco has to start winning games, and Warde and Susan have to get us in a better conference. Those are the only things that will pack the stadium. Blackouts won't do $#!7

Your discussing it because you turned it into something it wasn't and refuse to see that because you have determined in you own mind that the only option is yours. I forgot only winners, only top oppnents in top conferences. None of thos ethings were achieved when we were winning BTW? The biggest culture change they need to make is to that incredibly dumbarse way of thinking, then we can move forward.

Reaction Score
Your discussing it because you turned it into something it wasn't and refuse to see that because you have determined in you own mind that the only option is yours. I forgot only winners, only top oppnents in top conferences. None of thos ethings were achieved when we were winning BTW? The biggest culture change they need to make is to that incredibly dumbarse way of thinking, then we can move forward.

Cool story bro. Tell us again why we should black out games, since the Jags pay the NFL not to black them out.

Reaction Score
How would removing the games from television boost future interest in the games on television?

You can watch the Browns anytime you want. Do you think taking the Chargers and Jaguars off television make those teams any more popular in their local markets?

Of course it doesn't, all it does is make the majority of the population ignore them.

I rarely go to Gampel for basketball games. If they started blacking them out the last reaction I am going to have is to go.

The local people watching on television aren't choosing between going and television. They are choosing between television and doing something else.

That may be exactly what will happen, again I don't know, and no one else does either, but eventually an extreme action like this may be needed, as it has just recently been pointed out to me we don't have SEC or B1G revenue, and that there is no sharing between the conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom