Fullback | The Boneyard

Fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Anyone else think this is an interesting position to keep an eye on for the future? With all our efforts to seemingly go more pro style, under center, two TE looks, one has to think if we can get a quality fullback on the roster it would help a ton.

Have Diaco utilize his Iowa connections and get us a farm kid to walk on. This would help in situations like we saw this year as well when we are low on quality TE depth. Instead of putting Hashemi at TE and throwing him the ball 15 yards down field you could use a fullback/h-back and have them run similar routes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
TE won't be as much of an issue next year. We'll have Myers back at full strength, Billy Williams eligible after winning scout team player of the year, and I'm hopeful that at least one of the current freshmen TEs will have made enough tangible improvement over the offseason and be ready to play an actual role in the offense.

That last point is huge though - the fact that Hashemi, Anderson, Stewart, and Carrezola all saw snaps at TE this year is because we were absolutely shot for depth purposes. After Bloom and Myers, none of the freshmen (Lee, Holman, Parker, Campbell) were ready to be receiving the ball and making a difference with their blocking. That's the only reason we had linemen and linebackers seeing time at the position. The onus is now on the four TEs who will be sophomore next year to bust their asses from now until September to create that depth, and given how many bodies we have at the position it should happen.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
TE won't be as much of an issue next year. We'll have Myers back at full strength, Billy Williams eligible after winning scout team player of the year, and I'm hopeful that at least one of the current freshmen TEs will have made enough tangible improvement over the offseason and be ready to play an actual role in the offense.

That last point is huge though - the fact that Hashemi, Anderson, Stewart, and Carrezola all saw snaps at TE this year is because we were absolutely shot for depth purposes. After Bloom and Myers, none of the freshmen (Lee, Holman, Parker, Campbell) were ready to be receiving the ball and making a difference with their blocking. That's the only reason we had linemen and linebackers seeing time at the position. The onus is now on the four TEs who will be sophomore next year to bust their asses from now until September to create that depth, and given how many bodies we have at the position it should happen.

Carrezola was recruited as a tight end. So he at least had that going for him.

Another reason all of those other players saw time out of position is that, despite his awesome name, Jazzmar Clax really wasn't a very good FBS football player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned about it.

Plenty of FBS schools use fill-in players for special short yard packages.

It was commendable to use Stewart on RonJon's TD run.

Of all the things UConn coaches need to work on improving, this would be low on my list.

Reaction Score
I hope we don't use one ever again. Need to get away from the pro-style, FB with 2 TE's look.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that

IMO, agree with you Jimmy. Probably able to change when OL player personnel continues to develop & improve and depth is enhanced.
Don't think we are anywhere near the final product. On the 2 deep, don't we have 20 players returning on the offensive side of the ball (??) plus new recruits coming in and transfer of Billy Williams who is eligible in '16.

BUT I'd want to think he installed an offense he felt he could compete with now, growing and developing young players based on limited personnel, injuries and players not yet ready for prime time.....
AND IN THE PROCESS, getting many of us extremely frustrated (FOR MANY REASONS).

Year 2 of HCBD is in the books. WE are relevant again. Thought we would never get out of the PP debacle. In 9 months we'll know much more as improvement continues.

Overall, never thought we would be bowling. Thinking it might be time in near future to personally visit Storrs with a face to face and improve my season tickets seating for next year.

Reaction Score
Anyone else find it odd that the only defensive player that didn't get reps at fullback was Matt Walsh???

No.... don't find it odd. Interesting question though. Perhaps, 1) he was out of position to begin with or 2) depth on the defensive side might have been an issue or 3) maybe deemed too critical to defensive side of the ball in diaco's def. schemes.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how some are saying tight end isn't a problem. The blocking from the position was sub par and I am scared to see the drop % of Myers and Bloom. They both stand out because of there athleticism, but they need to commit to blocking.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We had two kids redshirt this year and another sit as a transfer. I can see giving Bloom a red shirt year and still having enough players deserving of PT to have two TEs every down that we don't use three WRs. I believe that fullback is now a thing of the past here.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We will have enough tight ends to move to different positions next year- I count 7 plus any new recruits. Iowa beef's up Tight ends and make them athletic offensive linemen. Maybe that is the idea here. This group has to improve blocking and pass catching - but I think the bodies are there now for a significant increase here.

As for Fullbacks, we can move someone into the position since Diaco's base offense is 2 TE and 1 RB

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I just feel like having a FB of quality on the roster is something that we have to address. There's so many creative ways to use a FB as a lead blocker/H back receiver. Would really help open some things up for us offensively

Reaction Score
We don't need a pure fullback, we need an h back. Someone who can go in motion and be used to block inside or outside or go into a pattern. Don't really see anyone who fits the bill right now.

Reaction Score
Maybe Rose from Southington can become this player. Not sure he would be ready next year. The big bodies have their place but someone who can catch and is elusive is much more difficult for the Defense to deal with. Our TE's had too many drops this year. Someone more like Jordan Reed can really be a weapon. The Defense also can't plan on us running 80% of the time when he's in which may help us be able to run.

Reaction Score
The best block I saw out of the backfield this year came from Graham Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom