Full Replay of AAC Media Day- Geno doesn't hold back | The Boneyard

Full Replay of AAC Media Day- Geno doesn't hold back

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno was thinking Louisville and ND when he was talking about coaches training kids to foul at every position on the court and referees being unable to blow the whistle in that context. Powerful case for emulating European rules. Very good listen.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised about the comment about there being less "physicality" in foreign play. Watching Team USA and hearing the comments it seemed that there was a lot of physical play under the basket. Do they really call it closer, or is it the different rules, or what?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Just in case folks want to check out the "highlights"

Coaches don't actually start speaking until about the 16:30 mark. Geno makes some pretty interesting comments at approximately the 36 minute mark, 42 minute mark, and 57 minute mark.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised about the comment about there being less "physicality" in foreign play. Watching Team USA and hearing the comments it seemed that there was a lot of physical play under the basket. Do they really call it closer, or is it the different rules, or what?
I think it is two fold - the penalty for fouling is much higher - 5 fouls in a quarter = two shots as Geno pointed out. And the off ball action is more closely monitored. The on ball physicality is probably pretty similar, except the emphasis in foreign play is on extremities - hand, arms, legs and feet. The body contact allowed may be greater, but as soon as a defender extends their arm away from their body and makes contact it is a foul. Same with legs and feet - more fouls called for tripping/impeding when the knees are wider than the shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom