Fuchs Greyshirting | The Boneyard

Fuchs Greyshirting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted, TOS had an article yesterday about Fuchs going to prep school in the fall and enrolling next Spring. He made it sound like there was going to others doing the same, but didn't give any names.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Better to have a clear path and everything in order when he's ready. He could be a very busy young man when he finally hits the field, or the court.

Reaction Score
Got buried in another thread...

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/lots-of-smoke-no-fire.37527/#post-571689

Nice info from Mike Libert ~ NYCHoops.net Staff Writer

NYCHoops 3:13pm via twitterfeed
Change of plans for Jordan Fuchs: While he is still committed to the Huskies there have been some new developm...

>> "Next year I'm going to be greyshirting and heading to prep school until January unless something drastic changes." Fuchs said.

He explained the situation saying he has been told that UConn has too many incoming scholarship players coming in and not enough seniors leaving, so he will be one of a handful of players who will go to prep school for a semester, play football there, and then head to UConn for the 2nd semester."

"It works out better for me because I get another year of development without losing any college eligibility." Fuchs added.<<

Intimated that the prep school is in CT.

Reaction Score
Got buried in another thread...

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/lots-of-smoke-no-fire.37527/#post-571689

Nice info from Mike Libert ~ NYCHoops.net Staff Writer

NYCHoops 3:13pm via twitterfeed
Change of plans for Jordan Fuchs: While he is still committed to the Huskies there have been some new developm...

>> "Next year I'm going to be greyshirting and heading to prep school until January unless something drastic changes." Fuchs said.

He explained the situation saying he has been told that UConn has too many incoming scholarship players coming in and not enough seniors leaving, so he will be one of a handful of players who will go to prep school for a semester, play football there, and then head to UConn for the 2nd semester."

"It works out better for me because I get another year of development without losing any college eligibility." Fuchs added.<<

Intimated that the prep school is in CT.
Avon? or Salisbury? my two guesses....

Reaction Score
Interesting to see how much of his vaunted class actually makes it to campus. Don't count your chickens until they hatch.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see how much of his vaunted class actually makes it to campus. Don't count your chickens until they hatch.

Jordan will play and will be a tremendous factor on the court
Needs to get the football end squared away first.
And just so u know. Ollie loves Jordan and his skill set.
Jordan won't be on campus till January of 2014
So the plan is to be available for 2014-15 season
U won't be disappointed. I promise u that

We'll see...

Reaction Score
If everything holds UConn with the greyshirts UConn has a nice pass catching TE in Fuchs, a very athletic DB in Jalen Bradford, and potentially a WR/S in the Summers kid from NJ.

Reaction Score
Clearly, you can see what is ahead with Pasqualoni by looking at his past. RE: George.

But ... further ... he made use of Prep Schools while at Syracuse. He liked that process. This is not surprising and I bet he discussed this with the parents. It doesn't always have to be poor academics.

Reaction Score
So............who else is greyshirting? Why is information so hard to come by these days? Of all the dumb things that the school has done.......limiting media access and the flow of information is one of the worst decisions they have made yet.

It's minor league coverage right now. The majority of spring practices should be open the media. They should be allowed to blog and tweet during the practices. Just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Why is information so hard to come by these days? Of all the dumb things that the school has done.......limiting media access and the flow of information is one of the worst decisions they have made yet.

It's minor league coverage right now. The majority of spring practices should be open the media. They should be allowed to blog and tweet during the practices. Just ridiculous.

How much as been limiting access versus manpower issue? Right or wrong, there has been other larger stories going on (UConn WBB and now Frozen Four) and limited number of people due to combining sports coverage in many media outlets. There are boodles of CT guys in Pittsburgh today to cover Quinnipiac and Yale.

Something's up w/ Dez - very little out of him period. Silver and Fuller put out the most it seems.

Not arguing @ all... and I agree that UConn FB is being impacted.

Reaction Score
How much as been limiting access versus manpower issue? Right or wrong, there has been other larger stories going on (UConn WBB and now Frozen Four) and limited number of people due to combining sports coverage in many media outlets. There are boodles of CT guys in Pittsburgh today to cover Quinnipiac and Yale.

Something's up w/ Dez - very little out of him period. Silver and Fuller put out the most it seems.

Not arguing @ all... and I agree that UConn FB is being impacted.

I don't think it has anything to do with manpower and larger stories right now. This has been going on for the last 3 years. Edsall pretty much shut things down during his last year and things didn't change when P came in.

Minor league coverage.

Reaction Score
Clearly, you can see what is ahead with Pasqualoni by looking at his past. RE: George.

But ... further ... he made use of Prep Schools while at Syracuse. He liked that process. This is not surprising and I bet he discussed this with the parents. It doesn't always have to be poor academics.

Having more kids committed verbally to your school, than you've got scholarships for is a very, very common thing in FBS football. It simply good business. You'd rather have too many players than too few. Your reputation is all you got in recruiting. It doesn't go any further than that. WHen you are Nick Saban at Alabama, you can offer way more scholarships than you've got room for, accept a kid's committment and then use the process to make sure that when you get into the fall, that you've got a full healthy roster, and anybody that's not physically 100% isn't on scholarship, and hte kids are left waiting in the wings with nothing to fall back on except the hope of making the roster the next semester...... Not much different than the NFL. Why? Because they're alabama and they win national titles.

When you're building a program like we are, to get into the top 25 regularly, in our location of the country, using prep schools, to line up players 6 and 7 rows deep for your program, is a win win situation, and necessary. Why? Because when you need players, you've got them in back pocket ready to go, adn you want to have as many possible local home grown players as possible, and there aren't enough coming out of high schools, so you need to add the prep schools. If they don't end up with a roster spot available on scholarship - they've spent time in a prep school, gotten their academics better, gotten themselves better as players, and are more attractive recruiting prospects across the country, than they were before they committed to UCONN, and went through the process.

Everybody wins. In another year or so, we at UCONN, because of the way Pasqualoni recruits, are going to have more players available to our rosters, ready to compete from the moment they step on campus, going into the future, than we've ever had. Quality players that we can keep track of their development.

Sooner than later, though, it needs to translate to wins on the field and bowl games.

Reaction Score
I don't think it has anything to do with manpower and larger stories right now. This has been going on for the last 3 years. Edsall pretty much shut things down during his last year and things didn't change when P came in.

Minor league coverage.

Knew I read it somewhere - it was Jim Fuller: "Unfortunately, I have missed the last couple of open practices due to my women's basketball coverage responsibilities but Pasqualoni has been happy with the way spring camp has been progressing."

Your point is still very valid...

Reaction Score
Combination of factors (at least why less of Des) :http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ce/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Q: Seems like very little in news is trickling out of Storrs about our Spring practices. Am I missing the news or is there just none? I live in Ohio and every day we are blasted with news leading up to their spring game. I can’t believe that there is nothing new to share with the fans after 10+ practices. Thanks! Eric, Ohio

A: The schedule is different than in past years, There was a break in it for spring break, too. Availability was much different than in the past; access to the team has been less than in the past. It’s different. It seems like folks want to keep a lid on things/changes as much as possible. This is an important season as you know. We’re going to know a lot about this team after the first three games so I fully expect to see the same type of access/availability during the summer. You would see more here Eric but I’ve been down with a ruptured Achilles and haven’t been out to spring ball. It stinks. That being said I think guys on our staff have done an excellent job covering when the availability was there. You’ll see that if you go to our UConn football page at courant.com.

One comment on site:

"Attended practice yesterday with some “old” coaches. The focus and intensity level is much higher than at this time last year. Whitmer looked confident (and at times extremely impressive) at qb. The running backs are much more aggressive. The “O” line performed as a coordinated unit. All the coaches seemed quite comfortable in their roles!!"

Reaction Score
Combination of factors (at least why less of Des) :http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ce/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Q: Seems like very little in news is trickling out of Storrs about our Spring practices. Am I missing the news or is there just none? I live in Ohio and every day we are blasted with news leading up to their spring game. I can’t believe that there is nothing new to share with the fans after 10+ practices. Thanks! Eric, Ohio

A: The schedule is different than in past years, There was a break in it for spring break, too. Availability was much different than in the past; access to the team has been less than in the past. It’s different. It seems like folks want to keep a lid on things/changes as much as possible. This is an important season as you know. We’re going to know a lot about this team after the first three games so I fully expect to see the same type of access/availability during the summer. You would see more here Eric but I’ve been down with a ruptured Achilles and haven’t been out to spring ball. It stinks. That being said I think guys on our staff have done an excellent job covering when the availability was there. You’ll see that if you go to our UConn football page at courant.com.

One comment on site:

"Attended practice yesterday with some “old” coaches. The focus and intensity level is much higher than at this time last year. Whitmer looked confident (and at times extremely impressive) at qb. The running backs are much more aggressive. The “O” line performed as a coordinated unit. All the coaches seemed quite comfortable in their roles!!"

Pretty much confirmed most of what I thought. The fault here lies with the program keeping things under wraps and not allowing access. I don't blame the beat guys that much. We are not Ohio St. If you limit access, you will get minor league coverage. It's exactly the opposite of what the program needs right now.

Reaction Score
Back to original post...

From NHR Jim Fuller UConn Practice Update today...

>>Before the start of spring practice the feeling was that no incoming freshmen could come in and make an impact quicker than the tight ends. While that may still happen, the most highly touted of the tight end signees will not be with the team for the 2013 season as Jordan Fuchs is planning to spend the fall at a prep school to gain more football experience before arriving at UConn.

“When we signed Jordan, he really wanted one more year to play football, because he has just started playing football,” UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni said. “We agreed to that. We said to him, get in a good prep school environment where you are playing pretty good football and then come in January.”<<

Reaction Score
Pretty much confirmed most of what I thought. The fault here lies with the program keeping things under wraps and not allowing access. I don't blame the beat guys that much. We are not Ohio St. If you limit access, you will get minor league coverage. It's exactly the opposite of what the program needs right now.
Jimmy in another thread you stayed you are not going to the spring game and don't care of you miss it. Now you are upset with lack of news from the team. Anyone else confused ?

Reaction Score
Jimmy in another thread you stayed you are not going to the spring game and don't care of you miss it. Now you are upset with lack of news from the team. Anyone else confused ?

What's so confusing? The coverage sucks. Most of the blame goes to the school. It's free advertising and publicity in the most crucial of times for UConn Athletics. I care about UConn Athletics. Part of the reason I'm not too down about missing the game? I don't have as much information as I did in years past. Do I wish I were able to go this year? Yes. Haven't missed a game in years.

I will apologize to no one for buying 4 season tix every year. Some people have this super fan mentality. The super fans don't like when people criticize the program or staff? Tough.

Reaction Score
What's so confusing? The coverage sucks. Most of the blame goes to the school. It's free advertising and publicity in the most crucial of times for UConn Athletics. I care about UConn Athletics. Part of the reason I'm not too down about missing the game? I don't have as much information as I did in years past. Do I wish I were able to go this year? Yes. Haven't missed a game in years.

I will apologize to no one for buying 4 season tix every year. Some people have this super fan mentality. The super fans don't like when people criticize the program or staff? Tough.
Hey I don't question your love for Uconn athletics. When I first read the post it sounded like you were boycotting the game. The fact you state you wish you can make it is cool. I agree Connecticut needs a culture change when it comes to athletics. Coverage could e better.

We are getting quotes from the coaches pretty regularly about the players. We are getting reports on unjuries. We know tight ends and I line are improving. I guess my question is how can coverage be improved ? What more do we need onto know. I am in Florida so I am not sure if it was better in the past or not. I don't think this year is that much less than last year from what I see on net.
Glad you buy season tix. Wish I could. The only part if ct I really miss besides family would be going to uconn games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom