FSU still monitoring the situation | The Boneyard

FSU still monitoring the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Here's their AD:
It would be great to be in the SEC with our radius of schools and the way our fans travel and their fans travel, but if they bring Florida State into the SEC, I'm trying to see, how do we sell that we bring them enough additional revenue that we pay for ourselves and they make more money off of us? They have Florida just two hours away that has the TV market here."

Similarly, a move to the Big Ten or Big 12 isn't a slam dunk financially for Florida State. Issues surround TV distribution (Maryland won't immediately get a full share from the Big Ten), travel (West Virginia, for example, has had difficulty adjusting to the demands of travel in the Big 12), and, of course, the not insignificant issue of that buyout to leave the ACC, which would cost the university close to $50 million -- a number Maryland is challenging as it works its way out of the league.

In the short term, Spetman said he's confident that the ACC is moving in the right direction, and the Noles staying remains the most appealing solution. However, he said his priority is to ensure that Florida State is prepared for the next major shift.

"We've had conversations at the senior level about what we should consider," Spetman said. "There will be more of those conversations -- they'll continue. It's an evolution every day."

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foo...scusses-state-florida-state-seminoles-program

Reaction Score
This article is a very big deal.

FSU effectively just lined its teepee water closet with that solidarity statement.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The FSU President made the point a couple years back that none of the other coaches at FSU wanted to leave the ACC and that winning titles in the ACC is easier for FSU Football than the Big 12 or SEC and the visibility of being the ACC champion offsets some other considerations. They play Florida every year, have a 9-game conference schedule, and now have ND every 3 years,

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
they must be moving soon.....

Reaction Score
As always, question the motive and timing of such articles. Spetman could not be more clear-they're crunching numbers actively. Realignment discussion is a daily activity at FSU?

That's not the talk of someone committed.

Reaction Score
As always, question the motive and timing of such articles. Spetman could not be more clear-they're crunching numbers actively. Realignment discussion is a daily activity at FSU?

That's not the talk of someone committed.
No, that's talk of an athletic department that cares about its future.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Warde should be saying ish like this all the time. "We have daily talks" and he should flat out say we've crunched the numbers and we can add value to any league and we've been told as much by our peers.

FSU is gone-zo with talk like that.

Reaction Score
At end of the day, money talks and FSU is sending out smoke signals to other conferences that they are looking for a deal. Someone will bite sooner or later. I think they only do this kind of article if they know something is up. Either ACC does some kind of unfair revenue sharing to keep them or they will be walking soon.

Reaction Score
Or at the very least study what the cincy ad is doing.

Warde should be saying ish like this all the time. "We have daily talks" and he should flat out say we've crunched the numbers and we can add value to any league and we've been told as much by our peers.

FSU is gone-zo with talk like that.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
"Lynchpin" is what Conspiracy Kitty uses to keep his adorable radiation-proof cap on his head.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I thought the article said "we are performing due diligence and the fans can shut up. There's the $50 million to consider, Florida is in the SEC and we add nothing to their media contract, and there's travel issues in the Big 12." He forgot the loyalty spiel which they used last time around when Texas was the great villain when forcing Texas A&M to leave.

Reaction Score
Or at the very least study what the cincy ad is doing.

Yea I heard Warde just got off the phone with the Cinci AD and has already dispatched some "please take us AAC" muffins to all ACC presidents along with one of those sound cards that plays the UConn fight song when you open it.

Should be in the ACC any minute now.

Reaction Score
This just in. Muffins were lost in the mail. Although all signs point to them never making it out of the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Doesn't FSU know that the use of the word "monitoring" signals you as a total incompetent, just like someone linking your name and "donuts" in the same normally not completed sentence?

Seriously, how do these other boards and programs function?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Have to give the guy credit for honesty. Whether they've been courted heavily or not. It sounds like if the ACC is solid, FSU will stay.

Assuming someone doesn't offer them $30m/yr to move.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sounds like FSU is not happy with the additions of Pitt, Cuse and Ville - that is the narrative we don't hear for some reason. Can you imagine the narrative we would hear if UConn would be have been added and FSU was as clearly shopping around?

Reaction Score
The FSU AD has held senior level discussions, spoken with counterparts, conducted a financial analysis, and has a lobbying effort under way. He has communicated this to FSU fans.

Whats good?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is great...the FSU AD basically says that they are monitoring the situation and he is applauded on here. However if WM makes that statement he is beyond incompetant and should be fired on the spot.

It is a little different when the CEO of Apple is monitoring vs. when the CEO of Gateway computers is monitoring. Thus it is with FSU & UConn - FSU has the luxury of monitoring, we do not.

pj

Reaction Score
FSU is trying to create a bidding war for themselves. That's why they demanded Louisville to the ACC, so that the B12 would be forced to go to them. They are saying that with the financial terms Maryland got from the B1G, a B1G move might not make sense, in hope of getting a sweeter offer from the B1G than the Terps got. They are saying they would accept an SEC invite immediately. It is a sensible communications strategy.

Reaction Score
This is great...the FSU AD basically says that they are monitoring the situation and he is applauded on here. However if WM makes that statement he is beyond incompetant and should be fired on the spot.
Well of course the situation is different now, isn't it? FSU is in if not a solid place, certainly one far superior to UConn's. And he didn't just claim to be monitoring the situation as a school that is inferior in almost every measurable beat his school out for a coveted spot in another conference. Context matters. When you're monitoring to determine if you should move, tha tis very different from monitoring as you get bypassed. I'm as much of a Manuel fan as there is here I guess, or at least I don't want him to be fired, but I get the difference.

Reaction Score
Here's their AD:
It would be great to be in the SEC with our radius of schools and the way our fans travel and their fans travel, but if they bring Florida State into the SEC, I'm trying to see, how do we sell that we bring them enough additional revenue that we pay for ourselves and they make more money off of us? They have Florida just two hours away that has the TV market here."

Similarly, a move to the Big Ten or Big 12 isn't a slam dunk financially for Florida State. Issues surround TV distribution (Maryland won't immediately get a full share from the Big Ten), travel (West Virginia, for example, has had difficulty adjusting to the demands of travel in the Big 12), and, of course, the not insignificant issue of that buyout to leave the ACC, which would cost the university close to $50 million -- a number Maryland is challenging as it works its way out of the league.

In the short term, Spetman said he's confident that the ACC is moving in the right direction, and the Noles staying remains the most appealing solution. However, he said his priority is to ensure that Florida State is prepared for the next major shift.

"We've had conversations at the senior level about what we should consider," Spetman said. "There will be more of those conversations -- they'll continue. It's an evolution every day."

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foo...scusses-state-florida-state-seminoles-program

Translation:
1. Travel is attractive in the SEC for FSU, but FSU doesn't bring anything to the table to the SEC revenue wise that Florida already isn't, so not an option.

2. B1G and Big XII aren't financially attractive. Travel is terrible for West Virginia in the Big XII and Maryland will be getting less for a long time TV wise in the B1G, and travel is terrible for Florida State should it go there either.

3. ACC is the most attractive place for Florida State at this point in time and in the near future. But, we have our eyes open should something change.

Not sure that there is anything earth shattering here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FSU is trying to create a bidding war for themselves. That's why they demanded Louisville to the ACC, so that the B12 would be forced to go to them. They are saying that with the financial terms Maryland got from the B1G, a B1G move might not make sense, in hope of getting a sweeter offer from the B1G than the Terps got. They are saying they would accept an SEC invite immediately. It is a sensible communications strategy.

Oddly, I read almost the opposite. They know the SEC won't take them and he admits its his first choice. They decided that the B12 isn't an improvement and turned them down. They realize a B1G move means more money, but not as much as the fans think, and it has the same (or worse) travel problems as the Big 12, and in any event, it isn't very likely. So they are signaling to UVA and GT that they are holding solid in the ACC and like it's long term prospects. I think that's the reason for the timing, to keep anybody else from jumping.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Translation:
1. Travel is attractive in the SEC for FSU, but FSU doesn't bring anything to the table to the SEC revenue wise that Florida already isn't, so not an option.

2. B1G and Big XII aren't financially attractive. Travel is terrible for West Virginia in the Big XII and Maryland will be getting less for a long time TV wise in the B1G, and travel is terrible for Florida State should it go there either.

3. ACC is the most attractive place for Florida State at this point in time and in the near future. But, we have our eyes open should something change.

Not sure that there is anything earth shattering here.
He just openly said they want to be in the SEC but since they don't add value there (market duplication) they don't see that as an option.

What he's really saying is Big 12 and B1G we are ready to talk cause because you have no current presence in our market and we can add value for you for the right price for us. I would not read into the authors speculation just read the AD quotes and then the picture is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom