FSU Barron Signs On At PSU | The Boneyard

FSU Barron Signs On At PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure how this affects conference realignment or how it affects UConn's chances of getting out of the AAC, but Florida State's president, who wasn't amenable to UConn joining the ACC, took over as President at Pedophile State University.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-barron-florida-state-seminoles-new-president

Eric Barron, a former professor and dean at Penn State University and president of Florida State, was chosen Monday to lead Pennsylvania's largest university as it continues grappling with fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
Barron will bring with him the experience of managing a major state university known as much for its for storied athletic program as its academic mission, as well as the fallout from sex-abuse scandals with ties to big-time college football.
Penn State trustees unanimously approved the selection at a special meeting in State College after a 15-month search process in which university officials had kept the new president's identity secret, refusing to confirm whether Barron was even being considered until the meeting began.
Barron, who worked at Penn State for 20 years, including four as dean of its College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, will succeed President Rodney Erickson, who plans to retire when his contract expires in June.

Reaction Score
I don't think Dr. Barron personally gives a toot about UConn not being in the Big Ten.

His agenda at FSU was FSU's agenda...His agenda at PSU will be PSU's agenda.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe Billybud but he's carrying his current impression of UConn football with him in this move. That's something that will need to be overcome.

Reaction Score
Dr. Barron is a very astute man, in my book. A marvelous academic leader...and more knowledgeable of football then one might think.

I've only talked person to person to him once at a pre game gathering, but I have listened to him speak about football.

I don't think that he necessarily has preconceived notions about UConn, he just knew that his prominent boosters and benefactors were vocal about their desires.

He is, if anything, someone who leans toward the academic side as he made clear when discussing the Big 12. That would bode well for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Billybud but he's carrying his current impression of UConn football with him in this move. That's something that will need to be overcome.

A few additional thoughts for consideration

First, it is my understanding from our ACC posters that a football add, after Maryland left, was an absolute requirement from the perspective of the southern ACC schools hence the Louisville addition. The further addition of a football brand would certainly be desirable by the Big Ten but not an absolute requirement.

Second, one of the reasons for the most recent expansion was to provide Eastern partners for PSU. As the new president of PSU, he may view the addition of UConn as further supportive of this aim.

Third, he also placed an emphasis on improvement of academics and research at Florida State and can advocate that strength in these areas can occur without AAU membership should this concern be raised if UConn were to be considered in another Big Ten expansion.

Reaction Score
Not sure how this affects conference realignment or how it affects UConn's chances of getting out of the AAC, but Florida State's president, who wasn't amenable to UConn joining the ACC, took over as President at Pedophile State University.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-barron-florida-state-seminoles-new-president

Eric Barron, a former professor and dean at Penn State University and president of Florida State, was chosen Monday to lead Pennsylvania's largest university as it continues grappling with fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
Barron will bring with him the experience of managing a major state university known as much for its for storied athletic program as its academic mission, as well as the fallout from s e x-abuse scandals with ties to big-time college football.
Penn State trustees unanimously approved the selection at a special meeting in State College after a 15-month search process in which university officials had kept the new president's identity secret, refusing to confirm whether Barron was even being considered until the meeting began.
Barron, who worked at Penn State for 20 years, including four as dean of its College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, will succeed President Rodney Erickson, who plans to retire when his contract expires in June.

Wasn't sure where to put this or if anyone here is interested, but it's about Florida State albeit not about Eric Barron. The FSU athletic director is for equal revenue sharing in the conference and not unequal reward based revenue. I had thought FSU felt differently previously. Equal sharing has been the basis of the ACC since its inception. Perhaps it is a good thing.

Apparently he was with the Big East for a while and believes unequal revenue sharing eventually caused the Big East to fracture because some members fell behind and felt not a part. Other members argued for more share against the rest. He doesn't want that now. I knew he was from Duke and Notre Dame, but I didn't realize the Big East is in his past as well. Food for thought.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1061&script=/content.asp&cid=1609569

Reaction Score
Well...sometimes having something to root against is a good substitute to having something to root for...

Reaction Score
Well...sometimes having something to root against is a good substitute to having something to root for...
Just saw North Carolina come back to beat FSU tonight at FSU, no less. Now I'm happy. It doesn't take much.

Reaction Score
Great!!

It's good to have something that makes your day...Me? I didn't know there was a basketball game tonight.

Baseball season started this last weekend...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The guy took two or three steps up on the academic food chain.

Impact on realignment?

Nada.

Reaction Score
+1

The guy received a 50% pay increase...went to a school with double the students.

Dr. Barron has proved that he is a careerist. A former professor at Penn State, a Dean at Texas, a President at FSU, and now a Presidency at Penn State.

He is moving up in his profession.

Reaction Score
+1

The guy received a 50% pay increase...went to a school with double the students.

Dr. Barron has proved that he is a careerist. A former professor at Penn State, a Dean at Texas, a President at FSU, and now a Presidency at Penn State.

I hate to say it but living on Mt Nittany ain't my idea of heaven but I guess you could say he's "moving up"!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
+1

Seems like they are all careerists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member