FS1 vs ESPN for B1G | The Boneyard

FS1 vs ESPN for B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Happened to be in a very conference realignment mood today and stumbled across this article....could a monstrous new tv contract eventually lure Notre Dame in enough for Delaney and co. to capture them. It's a lot of wishful thinking but the b1g would be forced to add one more then.

http://lostlettermen.com/will-fox-steal-big-10-from-espn/
Would not draw ND but you better believe it would be good for us. If it leads the B1G to snap up a school or two, great, and if it doesn't it gives ESPN a little bit of spare change to pay the AAC a few buck on its next contract.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten deal is going to be monstrous.

I hope Fox gets the whole deal.

If ESPN gets it, everyone not in the Big Ten or SEC is going to die in the shade. We'll be playing football games at 8 am on ESPNU.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
What I have to say on this is not even worth posting.
"tldr" would be the comments of what I could rant right now.

The money has wrecked everything good about college sports.

btw - The new Star Wars is really good.
So maybe there is some hope good will triumph over evil.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This is the furthest thing from their minds in discussions but the combo of Fox/FS1/FS2 would allow for the B1G to theoretically show all of their basketball games on some form of a national network. As of now a lot of games in the non-conference are pushed to BTN2Go only with the replay shown the following day.

If Fox pulls the B1G contract, it is only good news for UConn. Either ESPN pays up and starts promoting the hell out of the American and throwing $$ at the conference and its markets or the B1G continues to make hand over fist and is encouraged to add more schools to obtain larger profits.

As a fan of the B1G I hope they stay on ESPN/ABC but as a UConn fan I hope they go Fox

Reaction Score
Based on this article the B1G gets 112m a year from BTN via tier 2 plus 49% percent of the ad revenue. Anyone know how much the ad revenue is per year? Th BTN deal could still represent more than 50% of their total revenue stream after the new tier 1 deal. The ad revenue portion provides an area of growth in new markets. Mr. Delaney, well played sir, wow.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten deal is going to be monstrous.

I hope Fox gets the whole deal.

If ESPN gets it, everyone not in the Big Ten or SEC is going to die in the shade. We'll be playing football games at 8 am on ESPNU.
Is that Wednesday morning, and is that before or after Wake vs. BCU?

pj

Reaction Score
And still, we'll have Boneyarders worked up that tailgating starting at 3 a.m. isn't early enough.

Sometimes, it makes more sense to stay up late than to get up early. Start the tailgating at 6 pm.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do I have to pull up the old threads where all the media experts on this board said that no league in its right mind would want to be on FS1? Isn't Delaney more interested in exposure than money?

Reaction Score
Do I have to pull up the old threads where all the media experts on this board said that no league in its right mind would want to be on FS1? Isn't Delaney more interested in exposure than money?

The calculus is a little different when you're the B1G or SEC. Those guys don't have to worry about losing exposure, they've got the benefit of generations of rabid fans at flagship universities.

That sentiment is 100% true for every other conference.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I think the point is that people would prefer that the B1G went to FOX so that while we sit in AAC purgatory, our games won't be buried on the ESPNOcho at 2am. If ESPN had to fill time slots for the SEC, ACC, and B1G, then any sort of coverage of AAC sports would be pushed aside as if it were a fishing show. And maybe, just maybe, losing B1G to FOX would throw some extra loot into the AAC while we prepare for a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
I think the point is that people would prefer that the B1G went to FOX so that while we sit in AAC purgatory, our games won't be buried on the ESPNOcho at 2am. If ESPN had to fill time slots for the SEC, ACC, and B1G, then any sort of coverage of AAC sports would be pushed aside as if it were a fishing show. And maybe, just maybe, losing B1G to FOX would throw some extra loot into the AAC while we prepare for a P5 conference.
Well, there's that, and there's F espn.

Reaction Score
Fox Sports 1 ratings are up 14% and NBCSN up 25%. I know ESPN total viewers dwarf these newbies but their ratings are up while ESPN are down

Reaction Score
Thinking out of the the box. Would the BTN be interested in adding content without adding schools? For example, would they televise UConn women's basketball, men's hockey, etc. and show just in the ct/ny/Boston Dma's. I can think of many reasons for us to sign up. Maybe it starts with men's hockey.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would the Big Ten staying with ESPN make things worse for the AAC? They already have it now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thinking out of the the box. Would the BTN be interested in adding content without adding schools? For example, would they televise UConn women's basketball, men's hockey, etc. and show just in the ct/ny/Boston Dma's. I can think of many reasons for us to sign up. Maybe it starts with men's hockey.

Could the Big Ten network start televising programming that other companies own the rights to? It would be a bold strategy for sure....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Could the Big Ten network start televising programming that other companies own the rights to? It would be a bold strategy for sure....

Reaction Score

Not what I meant., but you are a Richard. When the rights become available is this a possibility. Who owns the men's hockey broadcast rights?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not what I meant., but you are a Richard. When the rights become available is this a possibility. Who owns the men's hockey broadcast rights?

Hockey East - they have deals with NESN and NBCSN. Why would the BTN show games from a competitor's league?

Why would Hockey East help UConn try to find a new conference?

I might be a Richard but it doesn't make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom