Fruit Pitt Strike it Rich | The Boneyard

Fruit Pitt Strike it Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USA Today Report - "According to the new return, Syracuse received $19.2 million from the ACC in 2013-14 and Pittsburgh received $18.9 million. Those figures represent drastic increases in the amounts they received for their final year in the former version of the Big East, now known as the American Athletic Conference."

This makes me want to vomit. Sorry , every single bozo in the Storrs chain of command current and past are responsible for this situation.

Reaction Score
You have every right in the world to be angry, but this is just blatantly false.
Please explain to we of limited intelligence how it is blatantly false. Please give me some tangible evidence that the Storrs chain of command, of the past were doing anything to get UConn on board a lifeboat. Maybe the current chain of command is trying, albeit maybe too little, too late, but for the past chain, I don't see any evidence that they were doing anything. Right now, we are all putting our faith on the current chain of command. What else can we do?
You have every right in the world to be angry, but this is just blatantly false.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Please explain to we of limited intelligence how it is blatantly false. Please give me some tangible evidence that the Storrs chain of command, of the past were doing anything to get UConn on board a lifeboat. Maybe the current chain of command is trying, albeit maybe too little, too late, but for the past chain, I don't see any evidence that they were doing anything. Right now, we are all putting our faith on the current chain of command. What else can we do?

I bolded and italicized the word "current". Hathaway and the past leadership are without a doubt the reason we are in this mess and deserve our indignation. However, those who think that the one and only objective of Pres. Herbst's job is to get us into a P5 conference or think that Warde needs to show up on Jim Delany's doorstep with a gun and hold him until he lets us into the B1G need a reality check.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I will never, in 1 million years, understand how Pitt got out. I know they were UConn's replacement but how in the world did they end up with Pitt??? There is just zero interest in Pitt athletics.

Syracuse I can understand. They did a helluva job marketing themselves as "New York's College Team", regardless of whether it was true or not. A bunch of billboards, NYC cab signs, and 20-0 t-shirts (as well as decades of rampant cheating/cover ups) go a long way in today's world.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pitt has one very tangible advantage over UConn. ACC teams would want to recruit Western PA.

Also if one was trying to create a scheduling deal with Notre Dame they fit there as well.

Maybe not pissing away the ND series would have been smart....

Reaction Score
I bolded and italicized the word "current". Hathaway and the past leadership are without a doubt the reason we are in this mess and deserve our indignation. However, those who think that the one and only objective of Pres. Herbst's job is to get us into a P5 conference or think that Warde needs to show up on Jim Delany's doorstep with a gun and hold him until he lets us into the B1G need a reality check.

My view is it took a village of idiots to not get the most successful College Basketball team in the last 20 years coupled with a FB team on the rise whacking ND, trouncing S.C. in a bowl, and getting to a BCS stage in the one of the most demographically lucrative advertising markets (HHI) to f' this thing beyond repair. Herbst and Warde took the pipe on the LVille deal, and the illustrious team preceding porked it everyway possible. I have no love loss for any of them.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
My view is it took a village of idiots to not get the most successful College Basketball team in the last 20 years coupled with a FB team on the rise whacking ND, trouncing S.C. in a bowl, and getting to a BCS stage in the one of the most demographically lucrative advertising markets (HHI) to f' this thing beyond repair. Herbst and Warde took the pipe on the LVille deal, and the illustrious team preceding porked it everyway possible. I have no love loss for any of them.

Well then I find your opinion absolutely worthless. Have a nice evening.

Reaction Score
USA Today Report - "According to the new return, Syracuse received $19.2 million from the ACC in 2013-14 and Pittsburgh received $18.9 million. Those figures represent drastic increases in the amounts they received for their final year in the former version of the Big East, now known as the American Athletic Conference."

This makes me want to vomit. Sorry , every single bozo in the Storrs chain of command current and past are responsible for this situation.

As someone who probably deals with things bigger than buying Snickers at the local convenience store ... this is idiotic.

First, WE are not in a Power 5 today because we came way late to the College Football scene. I don't even blame Jeff Hathaway ... whom I think was rotten at his job.

Further, while $18 to $19m is nothing to sneeze at, how are you gonna feel about $45m at Rutgers or Maryland. This AIN'T over. When you have that kind of disparity ($19 to $45m ... there's gonna be more moves). We need to push forward. We deserve to be in the top bunch at the B1G. The ACC used the wrong criteria to select Legacy schools and they will find that Rutgers and Maryland ... and UConn fill the programmatic box better.

Reaction Score
I will never, in 1 million years, understand how Pitt got out. I know they were UConn's replacement but how in the world did they end up with Pitt??? There is just zero interest in Pitt athletics.

Syracuse I can understand. They did a helluva job marketing themselves as "New York's College Team", regardless of whether it was true or not. A bunch of billboards, NYC cab signs, and 20-0 t-shirts (as well as decades of rampant cheating/cover ups) go a long way in today's world.

I don't agree with either of these.

Central New York is your hometown. No one in NYC (where I sit) calls Syracuse the College Team per se. Pitt did have a good Program. But ... Yesterday.

This is so broad in strategic fit. Nothing Herbst did in a few months could have changed our path. We are gonna rise in Global rankings and then we are the obvious AD to enter a slot. This CR is going forward. How do I know? Economic theory/laws: Cartels are about cheating ultimately. You cannot keep this P5 structure fixed as the players clearly see opportunities arise. It is broken today and we can see more losers. And, YES, that is Pitt and Syracuse in a loser category.

Reaction Score
Nothing makes less sense than Rutgers to the B10.
If athletic success was the reason for the invite however we know it was cable viewers which does make sense.

Reaction Score
As someone who probably deals with things bigger than buying Snickers at the local convenience store ... this is idiotic.

First, WE are not in a Power 5 today because we came way late to the College Football scene. I don't even blame Jeff Hathaway ... whom I think was rotten at his job.

Further, while $18 to $19m is nothing to sneeze at, how are you gonna feel about $45m at Rutgers or Maryland. This AIN'T over. When you have that kind of disparity ($19 to $45m ... there's gonna be more moves). We need to push forward. We deserve to be in the top bunch at the B1G. The ACC used the wrong criteria to select Legacy schools and they will find that Rutgers and Maryland ... and UConn fill the programmatic box better.
The B1G has a much more significant payoff...it is must for us.

Reaction Score
I think it should be her top priority at this time, no matter what it takes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it should be her top priority at this time, no matter what it takes.

Do you really think there is a chance that it isn't?

pj

Reaction Score

Pitt gives the ACC a fighting chance at attracting Pitt's ancient rival, the highly desirable West Virginia Mountaineers.

Reaction Score
I think it should be her top priority at this timeatter what it takes.
Do you really think there is a chance that it isn't?
I hope not. I am just responding to Stairmaster's suggestion that it is not her one and only objective. It definitely should be.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I hope not. I am just responding to Stairmaster's suggestion that it is not her one and only objective. It definitely should be.

I may be arguing semantics, but that is not true of a university president. I should probably defer to those with more knowledge of the inner machinations of large universities than I, but I would assume that she is responsible for all areas of the university, not just athletics. Not saying that this isn't a huge part of what she should be doing or her "top priority".

Reaction Score
I may be arguing semantics, but that is not true of a university president. I should probably defer to those with more knowledge of the inner machinations of large universities than I, but I would assume that she is responsible for all areas of the university, not just athletics. Not saying that this isn't a huge part of what she should be doing or her "top priority".
Yes, she has a ton of responsibilities that cover the whole health of the university. In today's environment athletics are an essential part of attracting larger applicant pools which translates into more academic selectivity, which means higher academic standing, etc.. For as much as I don't think she has done a great job in this domain, I know she is focused on increasing research and tech collaboration.

Reaction Score
buddy said:

It can be a TOP PRIORITY but it should NOT be her one and only objective.

Reaction Score
Yes, she has a ton of responsibilities that cover the whole health of the university. In today's environment athletics are an essential part of attracting larger applicant pools which translates into more academic selectivity, which means higher academic standing, etc.. For as much as I don't think she has done a great job in this domain, I know she is focused on increasing research and tech collaboration.
My final point on the current management team is they are wrong people for the job and were from day 1. If you want to be a flagship university you go and get the best with relationships, standing and experience to reach the objectives. A core objective has to be to associate with a national power conference (p5) and preferably B1G. You don't get wannabes and up and comers for this. You go and buy the pedigree and track record. An AD from a second tier school with zero big time track record coupled with an academic dean from Georgia (a school with no relationship to the objective) is just stupid. You really have to wonder if there is anybody up there with a brain.

Reaction Score
buddy said:

It can be a TOP PRIORITY but it should NOT be her one and only objective.
Do you think it was not Louisville's one and only objective to get them to the ACC? If UConn doesn't make it the absolute priority above all else, then there will be no P5. Nothing else matters right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom