Frozen Four | The Boneyard

Frozen Four

Reaction Score
Although I wish we were there, the Frozen Four starts tonight in Tampa. The 2 games today start at 5 p.m. on ESPN2. The final is Saturday at 8 p.m. also on ESPN2. I guess I'll root for Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
Much as I respect Quinnipiac, I will root for our Hockey East compadres, BU. Want a QU - BU final.

Reaction Score
Terrific first period of play between QU and Michigan. The talent level is outstanding. Michigan has some incredible mobile defensemen especially NJ Devil Draftpick Casey. QU is plucky and is playing their style of game and had more quality chances so far, but the puck movement of the Wolverines is impressive. This is a fun one.

My fav UConn game of last season was probably the one vs QU at the CT Ice tournament in Hamden. The pace of that game was so high and intense, I look forward to the bout next year at the XL.

Reaction Score
He is there Calhoun, why would he leave? QU will come close to other offers I’d assume

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Someone’s gonna hire Rand away from Q
Where would he go? I’m thinking it would only be for big money or to move to the NHL…which would be big, big money. Maybe that’s your thinking in the first place.

Reaction Score
He is there Calhoun, why would he leave? QU will come close to other offers I’d assume

Well said. The parallels are certainly there, and maybe the path is even more impressive as Rand took his program from D II renting out ice time at odd hours before going DI as and independent, into the MAAC, Atlantic, and then finally the ECAC and now to the crowning pinnacle of his coaching career. It’s been an incredible journey for Rand - give credit to Quinnipiac for investing in him and the facilities needed to win at the highest level.

Reaction Score
QU to B1G:

The B1G is stacked. So many draft picks. Even though the score doesn’t indicate it I thought Michigan’s players looked like they were the most offensively talented team out there. Adam Fantilli and Seamus Casey are the real deals. Quinnipiac’s scouting was the difference in that semifinal game and made big blue’s goalie Portillo look silly. Rand out coached all of his opponents, taking time outs at the right time, and even though he had been burned by bold moves before wasn’t afraid to take risks like pulling Perets with 30 seconds to go on a power play as the game was perhaps slipping away down 2-1 and minutes to go.

He also recruited players skilled at terrific taking face offs to be able to control play. The OT winner was a textbook QU set play that began by winning that initial face off, and the rest is history.

What a run for QU and a stellar career for Rand Pecknold!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Congrats to QU but not sure their formula would work at UConn, most of their players are older than 21 and a lot of them are 23 & 24...

Reaction Score
Congrats to QU but not sure their formula would work at UConn, most of their players are older than 21 and a lot of them are 23 & 24...
Of course it would work, whatever it is. Congrats to Rand and the Team. They did eastern college hockey proud.

Reaction Score
I was a fan of UConn hockey when they were in the ECAC East. In 1991 they went down to Hamden HS and beat Quinnipiac 14-2 with Sean Walsh scoring a double hat trick. In 1994 QU hired Rand Pecknold, an assistant at Conn College. In 1995 they hired Jack McDonald the AD at University of Denver. Then QU President John Lahey set forth a new vision for Q athletics to move towards D-1 with hockey as its primary featured sport. When the MAAC was formed, Holy Cross won the first championship and UConn the second. But QU won three after that. The rest is history, but this should serve to define how far they have come in three decades. A very very long way.

Our Huskies have come almost as far. (And incidentally Cav played for a much better team than Rand, a team that almost always beat UConn.) Nonetheless in many respects it has been a much tougher road for the Huskies with football and basketball ahead of them in institutional priorities. But UConn is getting there. Keep the faith. Keep the faith.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom