Frontcourt Strength | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Frontcourt Strength

sun

Reaction Score
Posted 2 hours ago, this video is about UConn's need for a superbig to defend against Cardoso & Betts.
At 6'3", Angel Reese could not stop Cardoso or get any rebounds against her.
The video discusses whether Amari can step up & fill UConn's need for a superbig.

Reaction Score
I think that by time a player is a junior or senior the coach has a good sense of who they are and where they fit into program. Even with the injuries and a short bench Amari was the second option. This is who she is, not who we want her to be.
The positions played are different, but does anyone on the BY remember Sanya Chung? Almost everyone knew she was talented and had the skills to play UConn BB, but just couldn’t or didn’t get it right when she was on the court. So she warmed the bench for many games, but kept returning to STORRS. Until her senior year! Everyone saw her capabilities, skills, talent, etc.
So, I’m hoping that Amari’s talent, skill set, and capabilities will shine this year. I know she‘s still recovering from back surgery, but I’m rooting for an uptick in her performance on the team. The team needs her, and I believe she wants to positively help the team.

Reaction Score
I know she‘s still recovering from back surgery, but I’m rooting for an uptick in her performance on the team. The team needs her, and I believe she wants to positively help the team.
If she had a disc removed [L5/S1, I think that's what he reports] and assuming it was a laparoscopic procedure the recovery should be relatively brief. When I had an L5 discectomy 30+ years ago, recovery took >6 months. The vertebrae would probably have been fused as part of the procedure [mine were], so she may well be a bit stiffer than before. But the muscle damage from laparoscopic procedures is minimal, which speeds recovery time. It can be a little as a few weeks to recover an active exercise regimen. All this is to suggest that she and the coaches may already have a good idea what sort of improvement to her game she's capable of.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Posted 2 hours ago, this video is about UConn's need for a superbig to defend against Cardoso & Betts.
The video discusses whether Amari can step up & fill UConn's need for a superbig.

It’s not so much a height issue but more so a strength & bulk issue when defending someone like Cardoso. A number of years back UConn played at SC against the Gamecocks “ twin towers”, 6’4” A’ja Wilson and 6’5” Alaina Coates. With her movement and ability to shoot the ball, Stewie pretty much outplayed Wilson. As for Coates, she was basically neutralized by the strength and athleticism of 6’2” Morgan Tuck.

Angel Reese is an athletic player in the paint. But she’s not going to win a battle banging with Cardoso. On the other hand, Aaliyah, Ayanna, Ice & Amari are all capable of using their strength and bulk to move Cardoso out of the low blocks.

Reaction Score

LSU won the championship not South Carolina.
Iowa, whom UCONN beat earler in the year with much of our team out, beat the much taller/bigger team South Carolina team.

Not sure why there is so much disrespect for players like Paige, Azzi and Edwards. If Iowa can beat much larger teams, why can't UCONN?

If a much smaller team like LSU can win a championship rarher than the much taller South Carolina, then why not UCONN?

South Carolina doesn't win a championship - and it's shown a much smaller team was able to drill them from the outside, and UCONN is superior to that Iowa team-- yet UCON is supposed to change their style for a team (SC) that didn't win that got beat by a team (Iowa) that UCONN is superior at?

I think it's clear for those that specfically mention Betts (ho never won a thing) have a strong bias agaisnt perimeter play. UCONN is supsoed to frantcially worry about Betts but UCLA is suppsoed to minimally worry about Bueckers in terms of impact of one vs another? -- Sure - Okay.

Reaction Score
One big reason, I believe, that Geno says he is looking at playing 10, is that he will be able to platoon into the game a squad of disruptors who will be able to create chaos for the opponents offense. We have already seen the disruption abilities of Aubrey and Nika. KK appears able to join that pair and add to the disorder. Small ball, yes. Add to that trio Ashlynn Shade and Edwards and any offense will struggle to even get to the paint with any kind of order to their offense. I am looking forward to a season of highlights of fast breaks from steals and turnovers as UConn epitomizes defense to offense fast breaks. It's not that Geno would start this group, it's just that he will have the option of dumping them into the game at key points.

Reaction Score
I believe the poster was referring to “blowouts”. I don’t believe anything was said or even intimated about taking losses for the sake of playing 10 players. If the team is up 30 after three, it’s difficult to see the harm in playing the bench for most, if not all, of the fourth quarter. Obviously, this would not mean playing someone who was not working hard in practice. I don’t think anyone wants to lose in order to get playing time for the end of the bench.
I dont believe it was just blowouts. I believe the poster has used the word "need." If it was blowouts, - there is no "need." Further talking of "blocked shots and unique charactristics that Amra brings" - thats more than just blowouts. I have had replies on here that "Amari needs to play." And I have said many times because of blowouts players will play more - including Amari.

Do you agree that until Amari shows herself in practices and in blwouts, that she shouldn't be getting minutes in a tight game?

Reaction Score
One big reason, I believe, that Geno says he is looking at playing 10, is that he will be able to platoon into the game a squad of disruptors who will be able to create chaos for the opponents offense. We have already seen the disruption abilities of Aubrey and Nika. KK appears able to join that pair and add to the disorder. Small ball, yes. Add to that trio Ashlynn Shade and Edwards and any offense will struggle to even get to the paint with any kind of order to their offense. I am looking forward to a season of highlights of fast breaks from steals and turnovers as UConn epitomizes defense to offense fast breaks. It's not that Geno would start this group, it's just that he will have the option of dumping them into the game at key points.
Paige Azzi and Edwards are chaos. You don;t pull them for lesser palyersw other than very few minutes unless you have to.

sun

Reaction Score
If Edwards & Ice are forced to play for long periods against superbigs then they might start to accumulate fouls.
Whether they accumulate fouls or not, worrying about fouling could cause either of them to start playing softer defense to stay out of foul trouble.
That's a good reason to bring in a sub like Amari to help neutralize a superbig.
No one can predict how strict that any refs will call a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Edwards & Ice are forced to play for long periods against superbigs then they might start to accumulate fouls.
Whether they accumulate fouls or not, worrying about fouling could cause either of them to start playing softer defense to stay out of foul trouble.
That's a good reason to bring in a sub like Amari to help neutralize a superbig.
No one can predict how strict that any refs will call a game.
You saw Grifiin two years play PF in which UCONN went to Final Four.
You saw last year a bad-kneed Patterson play pf/c vs NCAA Finalaist Iowa.

SO again I ask if Iowa can get to finals - and UCONN has more talent -- then why can't UCONN do more?
And if all LSU needed was 6'3, then why can't UCONN?

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but judging from last season the first frontcourt subs will likely be Ayanna and Aubrey. And even though she’s untried so far, Ice will see the floor before Amari, and may even start as the season goes on. I share your hope that Amari impresses is all and earns better minutes. But this will be an uphill climb for her. I’ll be pulling for her.

sun

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but judging from last season the first frontcourt subs will likely be Ayanna and Aubrey. And even though she’s untried so far, Ice will see the floor before Amari, and may even start as the season goes on. I share your hope that Amari impresses is all and earns better minutes. But this will be an uphill climb for her. I’ll be pulling for her.
Has Ayanna been cleared to play yet?

Reaction Score
All of the answers of who is healthy and who can contribute will be answered soon. The four or five teams that will have 6'5" plus players is one type of team will will have to defend. We lost Jana so we hope that Amari is healthy to help us against those types of centers. The issue for the other teams is who will guard us. Last year Aaliyah drove around Cardoza like she wasn't even there from the key area. So we will create matchup problems with Paige, Azzi,KK, Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah for other coaches to ponder.

Reaction Score
Instead of being so worried about how UCONN will defend opponent's 6'5" or bigger players let's concentrate on how our opponents will defend OUR players, both front court & back court! We will be a major problem for ALL our opponents to try to stop, Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Caroline, Ice, Ayanna, KK, Qadence, Ashlynn, & others!
We spend too much time, imho, on what our opponent's have and not on the best team in Division I!
UCONN has the potential, if all are healthy, to average close to 90 points per game!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Instead of being so worried about how UCONN will defend opponent's 6'5" or bigger players let's concentrate on how our opponents will defend OUR players, both front court & back court! We will be a major problem for ALL our opponents to try to stop, Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Caroline, Ice, Ayanna, KK, Qadence, Ashlynn, & others!
We spend too much time, imho, on what our opponent's have and not on the best team in Division I!
UCONN has the potential, if all are healthy, to average close to 90 points per game!
ONLY 90?;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom