Front court | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Front court

Reaction Score
Great rebounding is a combination of things. Quickness, aggression, strength, a sixth sense of where the ball is going to come down and timing your jump to high point the ball. Some people got it and some don't. Height helps too.
Agreed and I would add positioning and boxing out. It seems to me that these skills are lost on some of today's players. Too many kids stand straight up underneath the basket rather than getting into an athletic position.

Reaction Score
Just a few things. Our underclassman have great potential and talent but lack college experience. Geno will work them into the lineup as he sees fit. Amari coming back from an injury at 6'6 needs playtime and if she can play underneath on defense and work as an intimidator that will be huge. Patterson had the opportunity and gained experience last season off the bench. We will see how that plays out this season. Winning is going to come down to defense and rebounding.

UConn will rely on Paige Azzi Caroline Aaliyah Griff and Nika. They are proven and have played together which translates into chemistry. Many other ranked teams will lack team chemistry because they have not played together. Thats what having players who come in from the portal and underclassman without experience do. I expect Caroline to shine this season and shine big. Everybody elses playtime will depend on what Geno sees. Lets face it we have a great lineup that can put up alot of points at a very high percentage. Opponents will have to be able to defend that.

All this talk about LSU. Many posts Ive read from SEC posters feel LSU should be ranked behind SC and possibly Tenn. What does that tell ya? LSU with Reese and Morrow appear to have 2 great rebounders but neither is a consistent outside shooter. Haley is a good outside shooter however teams can pressure her into taking poor shots.

UConn may be ranked number 2 preseason which Im not fond of but will give them something to shoot for and Geno will have them shooting with double barrel shot guns with their lineup. This years UConn lineup could just be one of the greatest of all time.
UConn needs to stay healthy which has been an impossibility over the last few years..........if Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah can stay on the floor all season then the rest of the top teams need to worry big time............I'm not conceding another NC to LSU but they certainly have an impressive lineup that can really score and also can control the boards at both ends of the floor.........I think South Carolina may be better than many have predicted, especially if their defense remains as good as it has been in past years.......not sure why some view Tennessee as a threat to finish ahead of LSU or SC..............it's simply not going to happen.......

Reaction Score
UConn needs to stay healthy which has been an impossibility over the last few years..........if Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah can stay on the floor all season then the rest of the top teams need to worry big time............I'm not conceding another NC to LSU but they certainly have an impressive lineup that can really score and also can control the boards at both ends of the floor.........I think South Carolina may be better than many have predicted, especially if their defense remains as good as it has been in past years.......not sure why some view Tennessee as a threat to finish ahead of LSU or SC..............it's simply not going to happen.......
Agree about SC. I think they’re still the team to beat in the SEC. As for Tennessee, with Key and Rickea back they may be stronger than last year. I’m not super confident in Rickea’s ability to carry the offense and fill the hole left by Horston. But I’m even less confident in the guard corps at LSU.

All of this tells me that our guard corps is transcendent compared to all the main rivals. The only backcourt competition worth thinking about, in my view, is ND and only IF Miles is healthy. If she’s not, then it’s hard to find a comparable squad. Indiana maybe? The surprise team may well be Utah, as others have suggested and I think they are worth watching.

Reaction Score
Most teams that win titles win with a core of 7 players. And an 8th who is close to a 7 that can be used. Right now, UCONN has a core of 6 - Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah. Need 7 and then a close-to 8th.

What we heard last year from practices early was the Ice was doing well and Jana was doing decent. With Jana exploding recently it appeared that there was a good chance that at least one of Ice or Jana would do well. If that came to fruition, UCONN would have had a projected out-of-the-gate a projected 7/8 players. And if anyone of the others beat them out for time (beside the 2 bigs AP & AD) - including Q, KK or Shade) the you could have Aubrey/ Caroline play some PF and you would bet set as well.

But the point is, there is more to an offense that relying on full court pressure or offensive rebounding. Basketball is also a game of skill not just endurance, athleticism, and physical strength. The fundamentals of offensive basketball are shoot, pass, dribble. And in some games, you just aren't going to be able to run. Teams that win titles are pretty adept at running a "good enough" halfcourt offense.

Generally, this team has not given their core players (7/8) enough time of work on this aspect of the game. It might not be the fun/flashy thing to talk about but halfcourt offense is important and drilling your core players running it (with significant minutes) is also important. Unfortunately, this group of 6 has been hurt so much that they haven't had a normal already prerequisite number of minutes played on the court with each other these past few years. They need time.

Ice is the frontrunner for the 7th spot- whether she starts or not- if we see anyone beat her out, that would be a very good sign. Any injuries to the core 6 - the team starts getting exponentially worse going forward.

Reaction Score
So with Jana gone… how does our front court look like? Jana’s injury hurts the depth and size of our front court. Lack of size will be an issue if we don’t get another big for this szn. Ice and Aaliyah will have to be great for us and Amari and Ayanna too.
After the season, my feeling was we should go after the best Big we could and hope to convince one to come to Storrs. However, that didn’t happen…either because they tried and failed or because they didn’t try and felt comfortable with the team as is. Jana was going to give us some much needed size in the low post, but she would need a back up, and had we gotten an elite player, then maybe Jana becomes the back up to her. As it stands now, we will have to wait to see WHO is healthy. We pray that Aubrey’s back doesn’t cause her to miss anymore games. We pray that Caroline is ready after last year’s struggles, returning after Hip surgery and not having a summer to work out. We also pray that Paige & Azzi are 100% and can stay that way all season. The two Constance are Edwards & Nika. Patterson had some type of surgical procedure and I just heard that Amari had a procedure done on her back. If they recover and can help, it will go a long way in keeping our team fresh and not having to play fatigue. Then, we have ICE who may now have to step in and play the 5. It’s just the end of July and we have all of August. Who knows what will happen between now & the first day of classes. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone transfers in or they pick up another Foreign player. Only time will tell.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After the season, my feeling was we should go after the best Big we could and hope to convince one to come to Storrs. However, that didn’t happen…either because they tried and failed or because they didn’t try and felt comfortable with the team as is. Jana was going to give us some much needed size in the low post, but she would need a back up, and had we gotten an elite player, then maybe Jana becomes the back up to her. As it stands now, we will have to wait to see WHO is healthy. We pray that Aubrey’s back doesn’t cause her to miss anymore games. We pray that Caroline is ready after last year’s struggles, returning after Hip surgery and not having a summer to work out. We also pray that Paige & Azzi are 100% and can stay that way all season. The two Constance are Edwards & Nika. Patterson had some type of surgical procedure and I just heard that Amari had a procedure done on her back. If they recover and can help, it will go a long way in keeping our team fresh and not having to play fatigue. Then, we have ICE who may now have to step in and play the 5. It’s just the end of July and we have all of August. Who knows what will happen between now & the first day of classes. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone transfers in or they pick up another Foreign player. Only time will tell.
Aubrey had surgery on her back 2 years ago and Caroline’s was in the spring of last year

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if there are some at least “decent” forwards or centers in the portal? One more big wouldn’t hurt, especially if Ayanna and Amari aren’t ready. Any foreign bigs??

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if there are some at least “decent” forwards or centers in the portal? One more big wouldn’t hurt, especially if Ayanna and Amari aren’t ready. Any foreign bigs??
Gabriela Falcao 6'4" Portugal u20 LaSalleU. Kenyal Perry 6'6" Sam Houston St.

Reaction Score
I think the only realistic option at this point would be a foreign player. Is there a foreign big who wants to be part of a potential championship team? I guess we’ll see.

Reaction Score
I think the only realistic option at this point would be a foreign player. Is there a foreign big who wants to be part of a potential championship team? I guess we’ll see.
Isn’t there a special rule that allows former players who are now in the WNBA to cover a few games for their Alma mater as needed?

Reaction Score
.........if Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah can stay on the floor all season then the rest of the top teams need to worry big time.........
+1 with this comment. The posters on here clamoring for another Big, unless they want for injury, they are massively underrrating how great Paige and Azzi will be if healthy (how they positivley impact the game for all players including Bigs.). Bigs are teh only type of player that makes others better. Guiards do too. And UCONN has two supreme Guard players.

The quality of basketball players win games. Not size.

A healthy Paige and Azzi will be much, much better than these posters give them projected credit for.

Reaction Score
You don't think Edwards is comparable to Reese? Respectfully disagree. She can compete with Reese.
Edwards has a way more advanced offensive game than Reese. Reese may be more athletic and the better defender/rebounder (debatable), but she is limited offensively. They are both 4's playing the 5, and I believe Edwards versatility helps them when UConn goes bigger with Brady. I think the matchup between Del Rosario and Brady will be interesting, as well as Morrow and Griffin/Patterson. Of course if they even meet next season.

Reaction Score
The only UConn player in this year's top 8 or so that hasn't had surgery or missed serious time in the past few years is AE. That is super scary and why losing quality depth like Jana is a blow. Maybe the pattern will change with injuries and we'll be healthy as a team. But the odds are against this.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO logic dictates that Amari is going to become part of the rotation of bigs.
Edwards has shown that she can get into foul trouble.
Amari is the tallest player on the team, she's entering her 3rd year, & she has talent.
UConn would be handicapped without having her available.
One way or another she's bound to get plenty of opportunities to prove herself.
She's only going to improve & become a better player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have two girls named Constance on our team?

Reaction Score
IMO logic dictates that Amari is going to become part of the rotation of bigs.
Edwards has shown that she can get into foul trouble.
Amari is the tallest player on the team, she's entering her 3rd year, & she has talent.
UConn would be handicapped without having her available.
One way or another she's bound to get plenty of opportunities to prove herself.
She's only going to improve & become a better player.
I hope she is effective, although Geno might not have a choice but to play her the way things are going. But, she really needs to step-up her game if she/the team will be effective. She can't be a statue or turnover machine out there.

Reaction Score
I hope she is effective, although Geno might not have a choice but to play her the way things are going. But, she really needs to step-up her game if she/the team will be effective. She can't be a statue or turnover machine out there.

Maybe her having a herniated disc was part of the problem.

Reaction Score
And maybe there was no one to go after? We don't know why Stanford lost their center. Maybe Tara's system was too much for her? There wasn't one other center available unless you consider 6'1 Morrow a center.

El Alfy was going to be a sub. She would have added depth. Many posters though will jump on any band wagon. A month ago most hoped she could contribute and now her absence is considered a blow to the program??? The Euro U18 is not elite D1 NCAA basketball. It isn't even elite level AAU.

Every player in the country is at risk of major injury, not just UConn players. So pray for them all.

Brady was always slotted to play a post position. See her standing next to Edwards/El Alfy/Deberry makes it clear than she is the biggest player on the team regardless of height.

I would be beyond shocked to see anyone added to the roster at his point.

Reaction Score
+1 with this comment. The posters on here clamoring for another Big, unless they want for injury, they are massively underrrating how great Paige and Azzi will be if healthy (how they positivley impact the game for all players including Bigs.). Bigs are teh only type of player that makes others better. Guiards do too. And UCONN has two supreme Guard players.

A healthy Paige and Azzi will be much, much better than these posters give them projected credit for.
Obviously if you don't have size, it's going to be tough to win long-term against really good competition. I agree with the spirit though and think there is a point of diminishing return when it comes to size. I would maybe say that balance is the actual key. IMO, South Carolina wins 3 championships in a row blowing everyone out if they have even one really talented outside shooting guard. Obviously they were still an exceptional team, but I think they could have had a bit more of a dynasty with that type of player. Cooke is just too inconsistent of a shooter. I hated watching how teams played defense because the games were painful, but they had a crazy talented frontcourt and no one to make outside shots, so it's tough to fault other teams for giving it their best chance.

sun

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, South Carolina wins 3 championships in a row blowing everyone out if they have even one really talented outside shooting guard.
Turn this thought around and consider the magnitude of the mistake Boston made in turning Geno down. Had she come to UConn, she’d likely have won 4 NCs.

Reaction Score
Obviously if you don't have size, it's going to be tough to win long-term against really good competition. I agree with the spirit though and think there is a point of diminishing return when it comes to size. I would maybe say that balance is the actual key. IMO, South Carolina wins 3 championships in a row blowing everyone out if they have even one really talented outside shooting guard. Obviously they were still an exceptional team, but I think they could have had a bit more of a dynasty with that type of player. Cooke is just too inconsistent of a shooter. I hated watching how teams played defense because the games were painful, but they had a crazy talented frontcourt and no one to make outside shots, so it's tough to fault other teams for giving it their best chance.
And South Carolina proved that not having another guard made it tough winning it all long term. And I understand the spirit but they won 1 title by beating a UCONN team with no Dorka, an injured Liv, missing Griffin the whole year, no Azzi and Paige only coming back late with not much time for team to fully mesh yet the lead was cut to 7. How much more help did they need to win their 1 title?

As for your 3-title claim, there is no way they were going to blow out for 3 years a healthy UCONN team in past years. The more-the-than-likely result, if not for the injuries and adding just 1 player to UCONN each year like what you are doing for SC, then it would have been a better probability for a Paige-led dynasty. Not SC.

Let's look at Paige's frosh year. Walker left unexpectedly; a 1st team All-American. Makurat was basically nothing the whole year (prior year she averaged 26.5 mpg for a team ranked 5th). And during the NCAA's UCONN's starting pg got hurt. With all this, UCONN still made it to the Final Four with basically a perimeter team. The same perimeter team with a health Muhl beat South Carolina that same season. With all what UConn was missing - it still came down to the perimeter play of UCONN beat the Post play of South Carolina.

It's why I say - there is a massive underrating of guard play. Especially super great guard play.

I agree balance is best. But if we’re going to get into “What IF’s” then that pushes everything to UCONN. South Carolina deserved their 1 title, no doubt. But any additional “whatifs” imo is very hollow to SC in comparison vs UCONN.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom