Front court | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Front court

Reaction Score
Seriously… she had a herniated disc… I did too. Not easy to just “suck up”

When I was younger back surgery was a last resort because loss of pain came with loss of movement. Today's athletes come back and star. Tiger Woods and Griffin had spinal fusions. Griffin had her best season and Woods won the Masters. Having watched Griffin last season and knowing about Deberry's surgery only increases my optimism that she could be finally be able to practice and train enough to contribute.

Reaction Score
Re: the doom and gloom posts - it’s like people have never seen Paige play.

The best UConn teams have had three dominant players - Rebecca/Kara/Nykesha, Maya/Tina/Renee, Breanna/Moriah/Kaleena, for example- surrounded by talented role players that kept the wheels on the machine greased. Then there are the Taurasi years where one generational player carried a supporting roster to championships.

This year, if healthy (knock on wood), Geno has a generational player in Paige and two other dominant players in Aaliyah and Azzi. There’s also a talented bunch of role players that don’t need to carry the team or be able to do it all to win, just contribute what they do the best.

I like the Huskies’ chances this year.
I think some of us are just demoralized. Paige has been seriously injured for each of the last two years. We can't imagine her having a healthy season. Azzi was out for most of that time, as well. Caroline has been dysfunctional due to head injuries. And now we lose a bright young star who has been getting accustomed to UCONN, and is gone before we see her. And the team hasn't even played a demo game in Croatia yet. So, we are over the edge ( some of us ).

Reaction Score
I'm confident that by September all the recovering injured will be clear to play 5 on 5. Two months of that should take care of their mental issues. My concern is the mental state of many fans who clearly haven't got over the injuries. Any player is one good head smack away from ending his or her career. Same with knee injuries. They are all at risk. I also believe that a crowd can have an effect on a team during a game, both for good or bad. If there is a collective gasp every time someone goes to the floor the team will start to think they really are made of fragile glass.

Reaction Score
No matter the combination of players on the court, Uconn will lead the nation in scoring this upcoming season.
This is what I keep thinking, too. So many different combinations that can score.

With all the perimeter shooters and with Aaliyah dominating in both post positions, it will be difficult to double team anyone. This will be the perfect opportunity for the new kids to find their comfort level on the court in game action. If Ice can develop her game early on, then Ayanna, and maybe Amari, and if we run a transition game sometimes, Q can take her cue from watching how Caroline plays, and KK and Ashlynn should be really scrappy helping to run a press with Aubrey — what incredible experiences for all of them.

But just playing the 6 core veterans for 20 or so minutes/g — that will be a formidable squad with nothing like it anywhere else in D1. We beat Stanford in the final four two years ago with a squad like this. Sure, we lost Liv and Christyn and Evina from that team, but we’ll have Aubrey and Caroline back along with a really improved Nika. That team healthy might have won the NC game, and I think we showed it last season when a depleted version of it (no Paige or Azzi or Caroline in the backcourt, only Lou and Nika and Inês) almost beat SC in the regular season. This year’s incarnation of that squad looks like world beaters to me.

I’m so confident of what the veterans can do that I feel free to imagine how wonderful our bench will be. That’s how good this team will be.

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this but just looking back Aubrey has an amazing season last year. I remember early on she really stood out. I think it may have been the NC State game where she had this amazing sequence of back to back steals and fast break opportunities. When I checked the stats it does seem that she may have hit a rough patch or some type of slump starting in the middle of February. I'm not sure if she reinjured her back or what happened but she wasn't quite as productive. But progressing into this upcoming season she is one of like 3 big x factors. Her defensive versatility, athleticism, and length are pretty unique on this team. She probably has pro aspirations as well. Thats y I really wouldn't mind if she started. It would be a tall task on some nights, guarding 4s but that's her versatility.

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this but just looking back Aubrey has an amazing season last year. I remember early on she really stood out. I think it may have been the NC State game where she had this amazing sequence of back to back steals and fast break opportunities. When I checked the stats it does seem that she may have hit a rough patch or some type of slump starting in the middle of February. I'm not sure if she reinjured her back or what happened but she wasn't quite as productive. But progressing into this upcoming season she is one of like 3 big x factors. Her defensive versatility, athleticism, and length are pretty unique on this team. She probably has pro aspirations as well. Thats y I really wouldn't mind if she started. It would be a tall task on some nights, guarding 4s but that's her versatility.
I think Aubrey can be used to guard 4s occasionally. There’s little she can’t do. I’m not as convinced that she’s at her best when starting, but that’s certainly a role she can play as well as anyone. And you’re right that the NC St game showed this. One thing I don’t think Aubrey is good at is playing 30 mins/g. I think you could see how that wore her down as the season dragged on.

The only game last season where she really struggled was against ND. With their big lineup, Aubrey was smaller than everyone but Miles (or Mabrey), and when Azzi went down we lost too much emotional steam. Also, their ball handlers are too good to expect to be able to rely on a transition game. This left a half court offense and once ND packed the paint with 3 bigs and Citron, there was no room for Aubrey’s slashing game.

ND will still be able to run a formidable lineup this season. They will be the tallest team in D1 and have several effective ball handlers. Watson, Marshall, Westbeld are solid post players, and Prosper and Citron bring size and speed to the lineup. Last season, Ivie figured out how to make the best use of Ebo, a large, slow and really strong presence in the paint, and she’ll be missed. But they are not smaller for losing her. Put Citron at pg (I’m not recommending this, just making a point) and ND could have a lineup of 6’1”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’4”, and 6’5” — and it wouldn’t be a slow lineup, which is usually the problem with big lineups.

Against a team like ND we’d have to open up the paint with perimeter shooting. And we have the shooters to do it. That’s when Aubrey could be useful in the half court offense. I suspect if Miles comes back, we won’t be able to get much transition scoring because her ball handling is too good, and Citron is no slouch either, and I’m not even thinking of Hidalgo yet. So, to win, we’ll need to beat them in the half court. Nika and Aubrey will be key to that effort, controlling Miles or Citron on defense.

Reaction Score
Yeh, but they have Angel again, and UConn doesn't have anyone like her. Only 6'3", but so quick and anticipates so well. Which of our young bigs have shown anything yet? I'll be thrilled when I see it.
You are so negative about Uconn's team this year. To me 6' to 6'2" is big. Aubrey plays like she is 6'4". So I will state that Aubrey. Caroline and Paige will do fine in that position. What Uconn lacks in your opinion is more than made up with our defense and scoring capabilities from multiple players, Azzi .Ashlynn, Morgan and Nika handing out assists big time. GO TEAM!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey can be used to guard 4s occasionally. There’s little she can’t do. I’m not as convinced that she’s at her best when starting, but that’s certainly a role she can play as well as anyone. And you’re right that the NC St game showed this. One thing I don’t think Aubrey is good at is playing 30 mins/g. I think you could see how that wore her down as the season dragged on.

The only game last season where she really struggled was against ND. With their big lineup, Aubrey was smaller than everyone but Miles (or Mabrey), and when Azzi went down we lost too much emotional steam. Also, their ball handlers are too good to expect to be able to rely on a transition game. This left a half court offense and once ND packed the paint with 3 bigs and Citron, there was no room for Aubrey’s slashing game.

ND will still be able to run a formidable lineup this season. They will be the tallest team in D1 and have several effective ball handlers. Watson, Marshall, Westbeld are solid post players, and Prosper and Citron bring size and speed to the lineup. Last season, Ivie figured out how to make the best use of Ebo, a large, slow and really strong presence in the paint, and she’ll be missed. But they are not smaller for losing her. Put Citron at pg (I’m not recommending this, just making a point) and ND could have a lineup of 6’1”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’4”, and 6’5” — and it wouldn’t be a slow lineup, which is usually the problem with big lineups.

Against a team like ND we’d have to open up the paint with perimeter shooting. And we have the shooters to do it. That’s when Aubrey could be useful in the half court offense. I suspect if Miles comes back, we won’t be able to get much transition scoring because her ball handling is too good, and Citron is no slouch either, and I’m not even thinking of Hidalgo yet. So, to win, we’ll need to beat them in the half court. Nika and Aubrey will be key to that effort, controlling Miles or Citron on defense.
ND could have a lineup of 6’1”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’4”, and 6’5”

Which of the five would start for UConn?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm thinking starting 5 will be Paige, Azzi, Muhl, Griffin, and Edwards

Griffin has the athleticism to "play big" a la Gabby Williams (just not to the same extent).

Ducharme will be first off the bench and can spell either the guards or forwards with her versatility.
Right now....those are MY starting five in that first game. ;) Of course, things may change as the season progresses. They all have something in common, do you see it? :rolleyes:

They're all "seasoned" veterans. Except for Azzi who is a Junior, the rest of them have 3+ years of experience in the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which of the five would start for UConn?
From that group for ND, I think 6'1" and 6'3" could start for UConn, and maybe also 6'2". I'm not making a comparison. Just trying to see a significant rival with clear eyes.

PS: that's Citron, Westbeld, and (maybe) Prosper.

Reaction Score
From that group for ND, I think 6'1" and 6'3" could start for UConn, and maybe also 6'2". I'm not making a comparison. Just trying to see a significant rival with clear eyes.

PS: that's Citron, Westbeld, and (maybe) Prosper.

NDame is a significant rival. But I think you see them with eyes half open while you are seeing UConn with eyes half shut. The Irish may be tall but they do not play big. Brady/Edwards/Patterson will dominate them inside, in part because NDame's entire defense will focus on Bueckers & Fudd.

In my opinion, Bueckers, Fudd and Edwards would start for NDame this year if they transferred and could play. In fact, they would start for any team in the country.

Reaction Score
NDame is a significant rival. But I think you see them with eyes half open while you are seeing UConn with eyes half shut. The Irish may be tall but they do not play big. Brady/Edwards/Patterson will dominate them inside, in part because NDame's entire defense will focus on Bueckers & Fudd.

In my opinion, Bueckers, Fudd and Edwards would start for NDame this year if they transferred and could play. In fact, they would start for any team in the country.
They played plenty big against us last season, with Ebo Watson Westbeld and Marshal. Now, mind you, I recognize that if Azzi hadn’t been injured and we’d had two perimeter shooters along with Lou, there might well have been more room for Aubrey to work her magic in the lane. But if the primary scorers are Lou and Aaliyah, that’s not enough to open it up against ND.

If we meet them again this season, with Paige Azzi Caroline firing on all cylinders, I expect things to go rather differently in the lane and on the perimeter. Then Aubrey and Aaliyah, and maybe even Ice, will make some hay down in the post.

Don’t worry, I have both eyes all the way open.

Reaction Score
It astounds me how so many people are negive. This team is far better then last year. They were 1 win away from making it to a final four. No doubt they would have taken care of Virgina Tech. They lost to OHIO State due to lack of guard play to handle the press. The turnovers killed us. LSU won not because of Reese but the role players who shot lights out and had the games of there lives. If they didn’t shoot they way they did Iowa would have won hands down. No one this season has a tandem of Paige & Azzi. Edwards is one of the best forwards in the nation, can play center if needed. Aubrey is the most athletic player in the nation in my opinion . No one knows how Jana would have done, she has never played a single college game. We have 3 of the best players in the nation. Only threat is LSU. I’m not sold on them yet. Come mid season we will be polished, so much depth at the guard position, so many that can handle the ball. This will be a team that can press all game if needed.. it’s a guards game. We all need to relax not panic.. yes Jana is a loss but to expect a freshmen to carry a team inside is just wrong. If we stay healthy and no other top team experiences injuries to top players like we have the past 2 seasons we run away with #12. It’s a very long season for every top team ..some top teams are one season ending injury away from a disaster. U never want to see anyone get injured..sadly it’s part of the game. The top 2 teams are LSU, UCONN then everyone else!! Trust in Geno and the process!

Reaction Score
You are so negative about Uconn's team this year. To me 6' to 6'2" is big. Aubrey plays like she is 6'4". So I will state that Aubrey. Caroline and Paige will do fine in that position. What Uconn lacks in your opinion is more than made up with our defense and scoring capabilities from multiple players, Azzi .Ashlynn, Morgan and Nika handing out assists big time. GO TEAM!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
My comments were about the front court players, not the team. Aaliyah needs help. That's not negative,that's reality.Sorry 6', 6'2" is not big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom