From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books | The Boneyard

From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein on Twitter: "Instant physical observations at UConn: 1. Josh Carlton is down at least 20 pounds. 2. Jalen Gaffney has added 10-15 pounds of muscle. 3. Huskies' front line is loaded. Deepest surplus of bigs since Drummond, Oriakhi, Olander, Roscoe Smith." / Twitter

Reaction Score
This is the best lineup prediction I've seen from any of the national media guys for UConn
People love to give Rothstein crap, but the guy is well connected, coaches respect him, and he’s really knowledge. Sure, he has some opinions I don’t love but he’s great for the game, he’s passionate about it, and his content is just funny. If Jackson is starting for the season opener, look out. Means he’s way ahead of schedule with his development beating out that many other players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People love to give Rothstein crap, but the guy is well connected, coaches respect him, and he’s really knowledge. Sure, he has some opinions I don’t love but he’s great for the game, he’s passionate about it, and his content is just funny. If Jackson is starting for the season opener, look out. Means he’s way ahead of schedule with his development beating out that many other players.

Until this week, I was convinced Jackson was going to be a spark plug off the bench and cause all sorts of havoc with his wing span, speed and open court vision and finishing.
I was also expecting Jackson to have some turd games where physicality and pace make him less effective. It's happened to the best of UConn's all-time greats, so it's not a slight but a reality of freshmen adapting to college games.
DH's comment this week about Jackson having the chance to be one of the best freshmen guards in the country leads me to believe Jackson is really pushing in to starting lineup and being more of an impact than I was expecting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Carlton is down 20 pounds and he’s not starting? 4 year player. Hasn’t he started the last 2 years?

Josh's starting the past two seasons was as much a function of there not being any other options as much as it was Josh's ability. Players like Whaley have continued to improve while Josh has pretty much plateaud. Josh's skills are the same now as they were the beginning of his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Until this week, I was convinced Jackson was going to be a spark plug off the bench and cause all sorts of havoc with his wing span, speed and open court vision and finishing.
I was also expecting Jackson to have some turd games where physicality and pace make him less effective. It's happened to the best of UConn's all-time greats, so it's not a slight but a reality of freshmen adapting to college games.
DH's comment this week about Jackson having the chance to be one of the best freshmen guards in the country leads me to believe Jackson is really pushing in to starting lineup and being more of an impact than I was expecting.
I hear you and something I noticed as well from DH. I’m tempering my expectations tho, it’s hard for a true freshman to come in and make such a big impact from the start of the season. If he can come in and impact the game without scoring with his length, defense; rebounding etc he’ll be fine.

I said this before but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Sanogo have a bigger impact to start. His style of play should translate well. But who knows, just exciting to have some promising young players again and so much buzz surrounding the program. No doubt it feels different.

Reaction Score
I hear you and something I noticed as well from DH. I’m tempering my expectations tho, it’s hard for a true freshman to come in and make such a big impact from the start of the season. If he can come in and impact the game without scoring with his length, defense; rebounding etc he’ll be fine.

I said this before but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Sanogo have a bigger impact to start. His style of play should translate well. But who knows, just exciting to have some promising young players again and so much buzz surrounding the program. No doubt it feels different.
Jackson is also an excellent passer, probably has the best vision on the team.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein on Twitter: "Instant physical observations at UConn: 1. Josh Carlton is down at least 20 pounds. 2. Jalen Gaffney has added 10-15 pounds of muscle. 3. Huskies' front line is loaded. Deepest surplus of bigs since Drummond, Oriakhi, Olander, Roscoe Smith." / Twitter

Lol he still hasn't given up on Olander

Reaction Score
Jackson is also an excellent passer, probably has the best vision on the team.
He has playmaking ability no doubt. He’ll have to learn how to play within himself and within the game. He’s just going to have some Wow plays in a good and bad way I’m sure, especially if he’s handling the ball on offense. Just don’t want to get ahead of myself with him, takes time for most guys. He’s a great talent tho, excited to see him suit up.

Seems like there’s less pressure on a guy like Sanogo. He doesn’t need the ball much, he can impact the game rebounding, playing defense, spacing, screens, dump off layups etc. that’s why I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play well early on. I’m just ready to see some games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom