From Tennis to WCBB to the world: some thoughts | The Boneyard

From Tennis to WCBB to the world: some thoughts

Reaction Score
Following the flap between John McEnroe and Serena Williams? Neither is what you might call an easy or shy person. Essentially, McEnroe said that if Williams were to play the men's circuit, she'd be ranked around 700 (he later said that right now he'd be ranked around 1200).

But there's more: at least twice in earlier times, McEnroe has called Williams the greatest tennis player ever, period. Now, he has backtracked a bit: he ranks her 5th (Federer, Nadal, Laver, Sampras, Williams, in that order). Well, whatever....Probably stuff he said to run out the clock during a rain delay. But Williams is not in the mood to be humored: tweeted McEnroe to leave her alone as she's busy having a baby. Touche John!

Actually, McEnroe is more-or-less struggling to be honorable here, trying to acknowledge that, unless you happen to be Bobby Riggs, women are just not as capable in many (certainly not all) sports, but relatively speaking we can understand, appreciate, and admire how their skill set, relative to other women, can rank them at the very highest level.

Somewhat associated with our appreciation of women's athletic skills in their own right is our appreciation of women in their own right. I think a lot about how we reacted to Saniya's last possession against MissState. Of course, it was probably not the right play at that very moment, and, yes, it might have (we can never know) cost UConn a chance to play for the NC. But everyone embraced her and has since gone on to root for her WNBA success. This is even more remarkable, because, until midway through her senior year, Saniya was no fan (or Geno) favorite. I keep thinking that fans seem to react differently to heartbreaking losses in men's sports (witness Seattle and Atlanta fans in their Superbowl losses).

I don't know where this is going, except to say that I think rooting like hell for a women's team--and this really seems true for fans of other WCBB teams, too, if we can judge by their own discussion boards--is a humanizing experience well beyond sports or even gender, as it demands that we appreciate relative abilities and therefore opens us up generally to being more tolerant of difference in other aspects of life. And even--sometimes--allows us to put sports in perspective to larger issues.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry Bags, but I have to side with John McEnroe on this one. He was being interviewed by a reporter. He was praising Serena as the best women's tennis player of all time. The reporter baited him on his gender qualification of Serena's greatness and McEnroe responded with the comment that she couldn't beat the top 700 men.

As information, during the 1998 Australian Open, Serena and Venus, then in their prime, suggested they could beat any man ranked 200 or greater. Enter Karsten Braach, a German tennis player ranked 203 at that time.

A match was arranged on one of the practice courts. Braach beat Serena 6-1 and then beat Venus 6-2.

Reaction Score
Sorry Bags, but I have to side with John McEnroe on this one. He was being interviewed by a reporter. He was praising Serena as the best women's tennis player of all time. The reporter baited him on his gender qualification of Serena's greatness and McEnroe responded with the comment that she couldn't beat the top 700 men.

As information, during the 1998 Australian Open, Serena and Venus, then in their prime, suggested they could beat any man ranked 200 or greater. Enter Karsten Braach, a German tennis player ranked 203 at that time.

A match was arranged on one of the practice courts. Braach beat Serena 6-1 and then beat Venus 6-2.
Hmmm..let's not let facts get in the way of....or, as Mark Twain said,
“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”
Head bang

Reaction Score
I like Saniya because her hard work and sincere attitude. She never gives up.

She was from a blue worker family. No fancy background no rich connections. She is the first one in the family with a college degree. She works by herself to success, with the love from her parent, high school coach, Geno and UConn, and of course the BYers.

How can I not like her?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm not impressed with Clemson. Any NFL team would beat them silly.
What's all this hype about North Carolina's men's basketball team? Put'em on the court with any NBA team and they'd get creamed.
Really, you enjoy watching Keith Thurman? Put him in the ring with Anthony Joshua and he'd be pounded into oblivion.

John could have avoided the bait and responded, "Different sport, mate. Why are you asking such a silly question?"

Reaction Score
John McEnroe was asked the question by an NPR reporter. He didn't volunteer it; her responded to her question about why qualify that Serena was the greatest women's tennis player ever, why not the greatest tennis player ever. He answered it honestly. One of the ESPN talking heads,Ryen Russillo, said what does her pregnancy have to do with anything. It has nothing to do with the controversy.

Reaction Score

As information, during the 1998 Australian Open, Serena and Venus, then in their prime, suggested they could beat any man ranked 200 or greater. Enter Karsten Braach, a German tennis player ranked G203 at that time.

\G\\I

Gutzy of you !! While I agree--we need to remember McEnroe is selling a book--and Serena is an easy target--and it will cause loads of press both ways. He said he'd be rated (now) at 1200--
I'm not sure 700 is anywhere near close to her rating against men--she is strong and athletic --

But McEnroe got exactly what he wanted or was told to do by his publicist---it worked. Even got on the By.. Among people who are not (mostly) gender biased.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I'm not impressed with Clemson. Any NFL team would beat them silly.
What's all this hype about North Carolina's men's basketball team? Put'em on the court with any NBA team and they'd get creamed.
Really, you enjoy watching Keith Thurman? Put him in the ring with Anthony Joshua and he'd be pounded into oblivion.

John could have avoided the bait and responded, "Different sport, mate. Why are you asking such a silly question?"

Indeed. Every person who reasons that because a boys' high school team could beat a WNBA team means the WNBA team isn't worth watching and then proceeds to watch college basketball has a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

Carl Lewis one of the greatest sprinters in history. Bill Rodgers was a great marathoner. Their times today? Lewis best is only 17th-fastest all-time. Rodgers would finish a mile or more behind the winner at most major marathons now.

But no one says they aren't great runners. They dominated their competition.

Just like Serena Williams.

Just like UConn women's basketball.

Just like John Wooden's UCLA teams.

I am willing to say that Stewie is the greatest player in UConn history, man or woman, because she dominated her competition offensively and defensively like no one else at UConn. Does it matter that she would lose a game of 1-on-1 to Ray Allen? Nope because that's not the point and if you think it's the point, well, sorry.

I keep thinking that fans seem to react differently to heartbreaking losses in men's sports (witness Seattle and Atlanta fans in their Superbowl losses).

I think part of the difference is how fans embrace college athletes vs. pro, but fans do often have similarly warm feelings about male pro athletes, such David Ortiz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom