from amore--UConn Looks to Land Abdul-Malik Abu | Page 2 | The Boneyard

from amore--UConn Looks to Land Abdul-Malik Abu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Besides- if a kid choices PC- we are most likely better off without him because his basketball IQ may not be has high as the staff thought it was in the first place.

Reaction Score
I feel like Napier is somewhat close to AMA. ive seen him wear 'team bazz' shirts, must be the MA connection. think that might be a big advantage for us. few bleed more blue than bazz

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's so unbelievable. I would hope he is only thinking of himself and what's best for him. It's also hard to believe that he wouldn't choose the school that's best for him because his buddy might go elsewhere. Imagine that UConn is 1A for him and that PC is 1B but is just a notch below. Would he choose PC then because Terrell? That would be more than hard for me to believe.
I tried to say if all things are equal in Abu's mind Terrell could be the swing vote. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Personally I believe that KO is an outstanding coach and any kid who choses UConn and applies himself to following KO's advice will benefit far greater than most coaches. But that hasn't been proven enough at a national level.

And no matter which school a kid chooses, whether it's academics or athletics, it really is up to the kid to apply himself more than the cache of the university, unless of course the kid is only going through the motions because his family already has a position in place.

caw

Reaction Score
It's so unbelievable. I would hope he is only thinking of himself and what's best for him. It's also hard to believe that he wouldn't choose the school that's best for him because his buddy might go elsewhere. Imagine that UConn is 1A for him and that PC is 1B but is just a notch below. Would he choose PC then because Terrell? That would be more than hard for me to believe.

Depends how close he views 1a and 1b.

I am still shocked he hasn't used an official visit anywhere.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

It could say a lot about this kid.

Reaction Score

"The unofficial visits were more so to get everything moving at a good pace," Abu said. "I think official visits would have dragged things on further until October. I feel if I see everything I want to see from my final four schools, then I can make a decision a little bit sooner."

http://tinyurl.com/leb4fhm

Reaction Score
@ Upstater - they are kids, their decision matrix probably includes factors we couldn't guess. When I was looking at schools someone knocked a Northern NE school out of contention by telling me that the girls put sweats on at first snowfall and didn't take them off until spring.

It's entirely different though when you're a top athlete with a short window to earn. If you're a regular student, you may flip a coin between say, a Boston University and UMass or heck a Merrimack. Vastly different schools but maybe your future is already kind of set. With basketball however, you've got only a few years to get ready for the professional ranks, NBA or overseas, and though the degree of preparation might be quite similar at PC when compared to UConn, the competition is so stiff that the 1% of difference between the schools (to be generous to PC) might make all the difference in landing a spot on a suitable pro team.

These 18 year old top basketball kids are looking at schools as a business, and this Abu kid has seemed quite serious about the prospect.

I chose Boston U. because it was in Boston, though I got into better schools. I understand what you're saying. If I was a top hockey player, though, I might have been a lot more business-like in my approach to choosing between let's say Boston U. and PC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's entirely different though when you're a top athlete with a short window to earn. If you're a regular student, you may flip a coin between say, a Boston University and UMass or heck a Merrimack. Vastly different schools but maybe your future is already kind of set. With basketball however, you've got only a few years to get ready for the professional ranks, NBA or overseas, and though the degree of preparation might be quite similar at PC when compared to UConn, the competition is so stiff that the 1% of difference between the schools (to be generous to PC) might make all the difference in landing a spot on a suitable pro team.

These 18 year old top basketball kids are looking at schools as a business, and this Abu kid has seemed quite serious about the prospect.

I chose Boston U. because it was in Boston, though I got into better schools. I understand what you're saying. If I was a top hockey player, though, I might have been a lot more business-like in my approach to choosing between let's say Boston U. and PC.
If you read tcf15's post it says a lot. Abu is not taking his recruiting whimsically. There is a reason KO is pushing for this kid more than any other of the highly ranked recruits. He sees the character in the kid. If we lose out to PC for him it will really sting, not because it's PC, not because Abu would be the best player in this class, but because Abu would give his all on day 1 to the game and the team.

And yes there will be UConn fans that will need to destroy Abu and PC because of the slight to their ego's. But most reasonable fans will wish him well.

My thought is UConn has a decent chance to land this kid.

caw

Reaction Score
"The unofficial visits were more so to get everything moving at a good pace," Abu said. "I think official visits would have dragged things on further until October. I feel if I see everything I want to see from my final four schools, then I can make a decision a little bit sooner."

http://tinyurl.com/leb4fhm
I know but it's still surprising. I can't think of another kid who hasn't taken any when offered.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I know but it's still surprising. I can't think of another kid who hasn't taken any when offered.
Not surprising at all when you read all the reports about his determination to give it his all in spite of the dietary restrictions of Ramadan. The kid has the personality of being self reliant. It's why I wanted him more than all the other recruits that had greater talent. He's an Adrian, Freeman, JC type of guy and would never blame a coach for his inadequacies. He's a warrior with honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom