Friends From College - Netflix | The Boneyard

Friends From College - Netflix

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good show that should be better, and I can't put my finger on why it misses. It is about a bunch of Gen-Xers that were friends from college reaching middle age in NYC. It is Sienfeldian in some ways, with incredibly selfish and narcissistic characters, although the characters have more depth than Sienfeld's did. The show goes for dramedy which doesn't always work. Some of the episodes are hilarious, like the brainstorming session, and some are just really uncomfortable.

Keegan-michael Key is good as the lead, although he is a little over the top. Colbie Smoulders is solid, not spectacular. Fred Savage and Annie Parisse are both excellent, with Parisse almost carrying the show at times.

Reaction Score
Good show that should be better, and I can't put my finger on why it misses. It is about a bunch of Gen-Xers that were friends from college reaching middle age in NYC. It is Sienfeldian in some ways, with incredibly selfish and narcissistic characters, although the characters have more depth than Sienfeld's did. The show goes for dramedy which doesn't always work. Some of the episodes are hilarious, like the brainstorming session, and some are just really uncomfortable.

Keegan-michael Key is good as the lead, although he is a little over the top. Colbie Smoulders is solid, not spectacular. Fred Savage and Annie Parisse are both excellent, with Parisse almost carrying the show at times.

I liked it quite a bit. I binge watched the show in the matter of a couple of days while travelling.

I agree it could have been a bit better but I found it generally very well done wit strong cast and hopefully a 2nd season on the way.

Reaction Score
I've seen terrible reviews of this show, but for 8 episodes at a half hour each figured I'd give it a try since I liked the cast. Thought the show was alright, nothing special, nothing terrible. Enjoyed it for the most part.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I've seen terrible reviews of this show, but for 8 episodes at a half hour each figured I'd give it a try since I liked the cast. Thought the show was alright, nothing special, nothing terrible. Enjoyed it for the most part.

I don't get why the reviews are so negative. The show is OK, certainly nothing to get that upset about. I liked it better than Master of None.

I generally trust reviews of dramas a lot more than reviews of comedies. Dramas follow certain conventions regarding plot and character development that can be assessed more consistently. Comedy and humor is much harder to measure.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reviews for the second season are really positive. I didn't realize it was even up on Netflix.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is still just OK. It is easy to watch, and it has moments, but other than Sam (Annie Parisse) and Nick (Nat Faxon), the plot arcs drag a little. It is hard to have an ensemble show when some characters' plot lines are 5x as interesting as other characters'.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The end of the season made me angry. I am OK with these people treating each other terribly, but there is a limit after which the show loses credibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom