Friendly reminder for coaches | The Boneyard

Friendly reminder for coaches

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
agreed you have AJ and whalley who average 4 points get hawkins some burn

Gaffeny has been stale try Diggins
You know what you’re getting with Jackson scoring wise. But he rebounds and pushes tempo with the ball. Hawkins barely playing is criminal

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not asking him to carry the team vs the ‘98 Bulls. 3rd game in 3 days all slugfests - some guys were really struggling , just saying there’s other options
Agreed, want to see him against the low majors myself. But I doubt he was ready for those last 3 slugfests.

Reaction Score
Given the potential for this team and the fact that it’s still November it’s almost impressive that garbage like this is being posted already. The Yard never fails to rise to the occasion.
It even got a like.

Reaction Score
You would tend to think that is the case, but there are cases in the past with guys buried on the bench under Hurley and coming in and having major impacts.
One example was right in front of us today, Isiah Whaley. Remember he was buried on the bench, hardly ever got any minutes and then one day, Hurley brings him in and viola…he was “discovered”!

The opportunity lies directly ahead for DH to give Diggins that same chance. For the sake of the team’s development, let’s hope he does. ;)

Reaction Score
The fact that Hawkins is benched and gaffney is in over him is ridiculous l
Playing a junior over a freshmen that has had trouble holding on to the ball and was not hitting his shots is ridiculous? Its only ridiculous because Gaff stinks!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Playing a junior over a freshmen that has had trouble holding on to the ball and was not hitting his shots is ridiculous? Its only ridiculous because Gaff stinks!
Nobody was hitting their shots. Hawkins has show he’s the only one who has a pull-up midrange jumper and can get separation. No one can create their own shot

Reaction Score
Nobody was hitting their shots. Hawkins has show he’s the only one who has a pull-up midrange jumper and can get separation. No one can create their own shot
I agree but im just trying to point out what i think DHs thinking is in that situation.

Orc

Reaction Score

I think hurley is loyal to his upperclass men. Gaffney plays like he belongs in a community college league but hurley is going to stick by him. Diggings will have to wait until next year to get major minutes.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I wonder if coaches that see the players in practice for several hours every day might have a better idea than the rest of us as to which guys are more game-ready?!
The games are an entirely different deal than practice. You won't know how kids will play until you throw them in the fire. We know how Gaffney plays point guard, we've seen it for three years and he's clearly not a point guard. Hurley and staff are some of the best recruiters in the country, coach is going to have to play those recruits.

Reaction Score
The games are an entirely different deal than practice. You won't know how kids will play until you throw them in the fire. We know how Gaffney plays point guard, we've seen it for three years and he's clearly not a point guard. Hurley and staff are some of the best recruiters in the country, coach is going to have to play those recruits.
You missed my point - I'd imagine that they have seen that the players on the bench have not shown they can perform in games because they have not shown against our own players that they can do what is needed to perform in games. I think a lot of people immediately think the guys on the bench are going to perform better than a starter if the starter falters in a game. What makes you think that Diggins/Johnson/Springs would not falter as badly or worse than the starters? What are you basing it on? Because I have seen a limited amount of each guy against inferior competition (i.e. the first four games) than what we faced this week. I would love to see those guys develop but that is just exactly what they have to do - DEVELOP.

Reaction Score
You missed my point - I'd imagine that they have seen that the players on the bench have not shown they can perform in games because they have not shown against our own players that they can do what is needed to perform in games. I think a lot of people immediately think the guys on the bench are going to perform better than a starter if the starter falters in a game. What makes you think that Diggins/Johnson/Springs would not falter as badly or worse than the starters? What are you basing it on? Because I have seen a limited amount of each guy against inferior competition (i.e. the first four games) than what we faced this week. I would love to see those guys develop but that is just exactly what they have to do - DEVELOP.
You missed my point. You don't know how they will perform if you don't play them in games. You don't know how they'll develop if you don't play them in games. Playing only one point guard every game isn't going to work, Diggins needs to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom