Fresno's Pat Hill out for how long? | The Boneyard

Fresno's Pat Hill out for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fresno State terminated Pat Hill on December 4th after 15 years as head coach. He brought that program into relevance. Any thoughts as to where he lands, or will he just retire from coaching?

Reaction Score
Fresno State terminated Pat Hill on December 4th after 15 years as head coach. He brought that program into relevance. Any thoughts as to where he lands, or will he just retire from coaching?

I know that Belichick thinks he is an outstanding coach so it's curious that they axed him. Maybe he was making too much $$$ for them.

Reaction Score
I know that Belichick thinks he is an outstanding coach so it's curious that they axed him. Maybe he was making too much $$$ for them.
Or maybe the program just became stagnant. He made them relevant with his "play anybody, any where" philsophy, but they the were typically a 7-5, 8-4, type team. They never took that next step into Boise State, Hawaii, TCU, non AQ relevance by becoming a BCS buster. Fifteen years is a long time, and no school should ever be content with being an also ran. I don't know how much money he made at FSU, but if you're paying a coach a million plus, 8-4, 7-5, should not be looked at as some type of holy grail that no one else can replicate. On the flipside, if you replace a guy like Rocky Long at New Mexico, with a disaster like Mike Locksley, do the right thing and terminate the experiment ASAP.

Reaction Score
Or maybe the program just became stagnant. He made them relevant with his "play anybody, any where" philsophy, but they the were typically a 7-5, 8-4, type team. They never took that next step into Boise State, Hawaii, TCU, non AQ relevance by becoming a BCS buster. Fifteen years is a long time, and no school should ever be content with being an also ran. I don't know how much money he made at FSU, but if you're paying a coach a million plus, 8-4, 7-5, should not be looked at as some type of holy grail that no one else can replicate. On the flipside, if you replace a guy like Rocky Long at New Mexico, with a disaster like Mike Locksley, do the right thing and terminate the experiment ASAP.

Fresno has had better teams than Hawaii, so it's really only Boise and TCU that are outcompeting, but you can't compare them to Fresno, a school that doesn't have anywhere near the support of Boise and TCU.

Reaction Score
Fresno has had better teams than Hawaii, so it's really only Boise and TCU that are outcompeting, but you can't compare them to Fresno, a school that doesn't have anywhere near the support of Boise and TCU.

Hawaii went to a BCS bowl with an undefeated regular season. June Jones promptly bolted, but Fresno hasn't come close to that type of season. I hope for the day when we can hopefully carry an undefeated record deep into the season. That's the type of thing is that gets you noticed with recruits.

Just can't blame FSU for wanting more.

Reaction Score
i'm pretty sure he voluntarily took a big pay cut a couple of years ago when the university was having financial problems. great way to repay someone what was willing to put dollars second and put you on the map. does anyone know what he was fired for? if it was for a couple subpar seasons i hope eternal mediocrity on them

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pat Hill was master of the big non-conference win followed by the home loss to La Tech or SJSU. His players only seemed to get up for the non-conference games, and he got destroyed by Boise every year. That said, he was still a good coach. I think it was just time for a change. Hill will get one of the next WAC/MWC jobs that opens up, if he doesn't decide to be a pro assistant.

Reaction Score
Pat Hill was master of the big non-conference win followed by the home loss to La Tech or SJSU. His players only seemed to get up for the non-conference games, and he got destroyed by Boise every year. That said, he was still a good coach. I think it was just time for a change. Hill will get one of the next WAC/MWC jobs that opens up, if he doesn't decide to be a pro assistant.

+1. He was a good coach, time for a change sums it nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom