Freshmen Starters and Non-starters | The Boneyard

Freshmen Starters and Non-starters

Reaction Score
The problem of being retired and still in semi-isolation, despite the fact the Connecticut has just moved to phase 2 reopening, means that one has too much time available. This condition has led to this new thread on freshmen starters. No coach, Geno included, will start a first year player unless she is better than the possible alternatives and the best use of the player is not being the first off the bench. The latter may possess some dimension that one or more starters does not have - instant offense, defensive prowess, greater athleticism, etc. The information below is divided into three categories - freshmen who started from beginning of season, frosh who started later in year, and exceptional players who did not start in their first year.

The date listed is that for the start of the season, thus Sue Bird played her first game in November 1998. The women cited below do not include, except for one notable exception, those who played before the writer started following the UConn women in the fall of 1994 and he may have forgotten to include a few players.

1) Freshmen starters at beginning - Jen Rizzotti (’92), Sue Bird (’98), Nicole Wolff (’02), Ann Strother (’02), Tina Charles (’06), Caroline Doty (’08), Stephanie Dolson (’10), Christyn Williams (’18), Anna Makurat (’19). Four of the nine starting first year players were point guards, two centers, and three as guards/forwards.

2) Freshmen who started after season began - Svetlana Abrosimova (’97), Swin Cash (’98), Renee Montgomery (’05), Maya Moore (’07), Tiffany Hayes (’08), Kia Nurse (’14). These players can be divided between those who either replaced someone injured or a person of lesser ability.

3) Great players who didn’t start as freshmen - Nykesha Sales (’94), Shea Ralph (’96), Barbara Turner (’02), Kalana Greene (’05), Bria Hartley (’10), Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis (’11), Breanna Stewart (’12), Moriah Jefferson (’12), Morgan Tuck (’12), Gabby Williams (’14), Napheesa Collier (’15), Katie Lou Samuelson (’15), Megan Walker (’17).

A number of other first year players have started an occasional game over the years. Due to injuries in 1998-99 season, for example, Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams, and oft injured Keirsten Walters started a few games in 1998-99.

My view is that either Paige Bueckers or Aaliyah Edwards will be the fifth starter and the other will get a great deal of playing time by becoming one of the first off the bench. An injury to one of the starters, however, could change the equation. The major question remaining, however, concerns the other three first year players. How much will Nika Muhl, Mir McLean, and Piath Gabriel contribute to team success in the upcoming season? Will one of these three players be part of the rotation?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The problem of being retired and still in semi-isolation, despite the fact the Connecticut has just moved to phase 2 reopening, means that one has too much time available. This condition has led to this new thread on freshmen starters. No coach, Geno included, will start a first year player unless she is better than the possible alternatives and the best use of the player is not being the first off the bench. The latter may possess some dimension that one or more starters does not have - instant offense, defensive prowess, greater athleticism, etc. The information below is divided into three categories - freshmen who started from beginning of season, frosh who started later in year, and exceptional players who did not start in their first year.

The date listed is that for the start of the season, thus Sue Bird played her first game in November 1998. The women cited below do not include, except for one notable exception, those who played before the writer started following the UConn women in the fall of 1994 and he may have forgotten to include a few players.

1) Freshmen starters at beginning - Jen Rizzotti (’92), Sue Bird (’98), Nicole Wolff (’02), Ann Strother (’02), Tina Charles (’06), Caroline Doty (’08), Stephanie Dolson (’10), Christyn Williams (’18), Anna Makurat (’19). Four of the nine starting first year players were point guards, two centers, and three as guards/forwards.

2) Freshmen who started after season began - Svetlana Abrosimova (’97), Swin Cash (’98), Renee Montgomery (’05), Maya Moore (’07), Tiffany Hayes (’08), Kia Nurse (’14). These players can be divided between those who either replaced someone injured or a person of lesser ability.

3) Great players who didn’t start as freshmen - Nykesha Sales (’94), Shea Ralph (’96), Barbara Turner (’02), Kalana Greene (’05), Bria Hartley (’10), Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis (’11), Breanna Stewart (’12), Moriah Jefferson (’12), Morgan Tuck (’12), Gabby Williams (’14), Napheesa Collier (’15), Katie Lou Samuelson (’15), Megan Walker (’17).

A number of other first year players have started an occasional game over the years. Due to injuries in 1998-99 season, for example, Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams, and oft injured Keirsten Walters started a few games in 1998-99.

My view is that either Paige Bueckers or Aaliyah Edwards will be the fifth starter and the other will get a great deal of playing time by becoming one of the first off the bench. An injury to one of the starters, however, could change the equation. The major question remaining, however, concerns the other three first year players. How much will Nika Muhl, Mir McLean, and Piath Gabriel contribute to team success in the upcoming season? Will one of these three players be part of the rotation?
If I remember correctly, KLS started almost half of the games in 15. While Pheesa started between 6 to 9 games.

Reaction Score
"No coach, Geno included, will start a first year player unless she is better than the possible alternatives"

What is "better"? There are so many factors that make up the quality of a player. One player may be a better shooter, taller, stronger and a better ball-handler but if she doesn't know what her role is in a 5 high offense then is she a better player than the one who has lesser talent and skill but who is always in the right spot? I think we saw that this past season where Irwin started in place of Makurat early but as soon as Makurat had become better at playing in the UConn system she took over the starting job.
Personally I believe that Bueckers will adapt to UConn very quickly. I think she'll sub into her first game because there are good alternatives to having her start, just as there were with Taurasi, Moore and Stewart.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, KLS started almost half of the games in 15. While Pheesa started between 6 to 9 games.

You're correct. I also remember her becoming a starter mid-January of her freshman year. I looked it up. Katie Lou became a starter for the rest of the season on Saturday Jan 19, 2016 against Temple. [Box score]

"STORRS, Conn. -- Freshman Katie Lou Samuelson had been impressive in practice and in games of late for No. 1 UConn. Coach Geno Auriemma rewarded her with her second start Saturday and she delivered her best performance yet. Samuelson produced career-highs of 21 points, five made 3-pointers and six assists to help the Huskies roll to a 104-49 victory over Temple before 9,846 at Gampel Pavilion. The UConn starters did not play in the fourth quarter."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't reference Diana, who started (I believe) 14 games her freshman year.
Yes, if I remember right, Shea Ralph started alongside Bird and DT was a supersub for at least a major portion of that season. For all her other basketball accomplishments, Shea Ralph's most amazing one may be keeping the GOAT on the bench for at least part of her career!

Reaction Score
Breanna started the year, but when her playing slumped, Geno had her come off the bench. Katie Lou didn't start until after Gabby and Napheesa had their chance.

Reaction Score
Mea culpa. It just goes to show the fallibility of memory and the fact that I should have done more research before publishing. As pointed out, Diana Taurasi moved into the starting lineup in midseason. She did so after the season-ending injury of Svetlana Abrosimova in February 2001. Bria Hartley started almost all games during her first year. Katie Lou Samuelson started 20 games, generally replacing sophomore Gabby Williams in the starting lineup. Napheesa Collier also started five games. In addition, Breanna Stewart started a number of games. Thanks to the sharp-eyed and sound memory Boneyarders who pointed out all these errors.

My examples, plus those pointed out by others, show that Geno has started a number of first year players over the years and this trend will no doubt continue. The team may have two freshmen who start on a more or less regular basis.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Correction: Apparently Kelly Faris did not start all of her freshmen games. But I cannot locate the stats verifying this. When I clicked on stats for 2009-10, I expected to see stats for 2009-2010. Instead stats for 2010-11 were displayed and I did not notice. There was a question about Christyn Williams but I verified the stats do say 38-38.
1592616473249.png

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thanks for the work, but Kelly Faris's numbers don't look right. These may be her sophomore stats. She didn't start much her freshman season or play 33 mpg, and the team played 39 games, I believe.
You appear to be right but I cannot verify the correctness of your statement, only the incorrectness of my statement. When I clicked on stats for 2009-10, I did not notice it yielded 2010-11 stats. I can't find stats for 2009-10. Thanks for the heads up!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You appear to be right but I cannot verify the correctness of your statement, only the incorrectness of my statement. When I clicked on stats for 2009-10, I did not notice it yielded 2010-11 stats. I can't find stats for 2009-10. Thanks for the heads up!
The stats for many years have links but no information. The Media Guide shows Kelly playing, but averaging only 4.1 ppg. It does not show mpg. I'm pretty sure the starters in Kelly's freshman year were Tina, Maya, Kalana, Tiffany, and Caroline. I believe that was the best defensive unit in history, statistically speaking.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is more of a question than a statement. The data that @SVCBeercats posted does not go back far in time. If it did, would it not show that Rizzotti started every game, as @BfromCT stated? I am not sure about anybody starting every game, in part due to senior night, but I thought Rizzotti did. Bird certainly started all the games of her abbreviated season, like Doty.

The player I am really curious about is Wolters. I see no mention of her in the OP, yet she was 6'7" and already a stud in her sophomore year. I would think she started at least a few games as a freshmen. Is that true?

Reaction Score

Lou became starter half way through freshman year.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris did not start in her freshman season. 2010-2011 media guide shows 39 games played, 0 games started for 2009-2010 season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom