Freshmen Scouting Report From Christyn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Freshmen Scouting Report From Christyn

Reaction Score
Our league is garbage. They all know they are going to lose every game by 30+. The more things change the more they stay the same. It's just unfortunate that we have 20 rubbish games instead of 16. At least in the AAC we had a little more flexibility and could schedule four more better teams OOC.

You want to see garbage, just compare the two conferences, from last year (AAC and BE). The BE had 6 teams with an RPI below 100. Butler just missed at 102. With the AAC, take UConn out of the equation and you have 3 teams with an RPI under 100...with rest garbage.

I'll gladly take them additional 4 games in the BE, chances are those teams will also carry an RPI of under 100. Last year UConn's OOC schedule included Cal (RPI 124), Vandy (RPI 127) and yes should I say ND (RPI 121). Not all UConn's OOC teams carry RPI's under 100.

1601797010711.png

Reaction Score
You want to see garbage, just compare the two conferences, from last year (AAC and BE). The BE had 6 teams with an RPI below 100. Butler just missed at 102. With the AAC, take UConn out of the equation and you have 3 teams with an RPI under 100...with rest garbage.

I'll gladly take them additional 4 games in the BE, chances are those teams will also carry an RPI of under 100. Last year UConn's OOC schedule included Cal (RPI 124), Vandy (RPI 127) and yes should I say ND (RPI 121). Not all UConn's OOC teams carry RPI's under 100.

View attachment 59334
Agree with this but wanted to add a few thoughts. It is consistent with the above but Uconn's OOC schedule was usually split between maybe 3-5 of the very best teams in the country, and a number of teams that were fairly good but not a serious threat. The later group was probably better than the "average" AAC team, but compared to the big east, not so much. So we will be replacing the second tier of our OOC schedule with a better conference schedule of roughly the same level.

That assumes that we keep the 3-5 games against the best of the best, and the extra 4 conference games come at the expense of more the filler part of the OOC schedule than the marquee games. I think that is reasonable and what will happen.

So top tier games about the same, four more better conference opponents instead of the second tier OOC games, which is pretty close, and a substantially better conference schedule, resulting in a SOS overall increase.

As for so called boring blowout games, in years where there is little interest in the tail end of the bench that might be true. When our team has a deep an interesting bench (for at least the next few years) for many fans that is not the case. If we wound up with largely an 8 player rotation, and making a few assumptions, I for one would look forward to seeing more of perhaps Mir, Piath and Autumn in a blowout.

And finally the Big East is a geographical and recruiting advantage compared to the AAC Also Uconn in the Big East lifts the status of the conference overall, and the other conference teams can probably recruit at a little higher level as a result. the same in reverse for the AAC The other teams in the conference Uconn joins get a little better, and the other teams in the conference they leave get a little worse.

Reaction Score
Not everybody called you crazy. I've consistently named her as the 5th starter. She brings a mature approach to the one spot where we don't have a proven athlete, the power 4. Anna and Aubrey can play the 4 but only Aaliyah IS a power 4. Her only issue that I can think of is the typical issue of winning the coach's trust.

There were a lot of posters who thought she could play the 4. We tend to remember the few who argue with us directly. That sort of "exaggerates" the numbers we may think.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
There were a lot of posters who thought she could play the 4. We tend to remember the few who argue with us directly. That sort of "exaggerates" the numbers we may think.
I think all of us saw the lady as a '4'. My comment was directed at those who said it would take at least half the year for her to start or play significant minutes. In the current poll only 8.8% of voters feel she will be a started. I believe in the very versatile mix and match lineups available, Aaliyah is the only one to bring the physicality to play alongside Ono. Although I do rate Anna as the strongest of the wings and Aubrey's quickness and leaping ability will be serviceable as a '4', they won't dominate at the position like Aaliyah. The only caveat to my thinking is that it appears that Aaliyah may also be the only one who can give Olivia 10 minutes of rest she will need.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agree with this but wanted to add a few thoughts. It is consistent with the above but Uconn's OOC schedule was usually split between maybe 3-5 of the very best teams in the country, and a number of teams that were fairly good but not a serious threat. The later group was probably better than the "average" AAC team, but compared to the big east, not so much. So we will be replacing the second tier of our OOC schedule with a better conference schedule of roughly the same level.

That assumes that we keep the 3-5 games against the best of the best, and the extra 4 conference games come at the expense of more the filler part of the OOC schedule than the marquee games. I think that is reasonable and what will happen.

So top tier games about the same, four more better conference opponents instead of the second tier OOC games, which is pretty close, and a substantially better conference schedule, resulting in a SOS overall increase.

As for so called boring blowout games, in years where there is little interest in the tail end of the bench that might be true. When our team has a deep an interesting bench (for at least the next few years) for many fans that is not the case. If we wound up with largely an 8 player rotation, and making a few assumptions, I for one would look forward to seeing more of perhaps Mir, Piath and Autumn in a blowout.

And finally the Big East is a geographical and recruiting advantage compared to the AAC Also Uconn in the Big East lifts the status of the conference overall, and the other conference teams can probably recruit at a little higher level as a result. the same in reverse for the AAC The other teams in the conference Uconn joins get a little better, and the other teams in the conference they leave get a little worse.
Is your comparison of OOC games considering that DePaul was an OOC regular and now moves to conference. That frees up one of last years OOC games.

Reaction Score

View attachment 59334
Not sure how the new "Net" system will work, but Butler would have been above 102 for the two losses to last year's #4/5 ranked UCONN, leaving only 3 teams below 100...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not everybody called you crazy. I've consistently named her as the 5th starter. She brings a mature approach to the one spot where we don't have a proven athlete, the power 4. Anna and Aubrey can play the 4 but only Aaliyah IS a power 4. Her only issue that I can think of is the typical issue of winning the coach's trust.

I’ve been thinking of Christyn’s assessment of her skill set, mentioning that she was “tough” 3 times. While I do not have Aliyah in my starting lineup to begin the season, I also understand that it is very possible that she impresses Geno so much in the coming days, that he has no choice but to start her, and bring Anna or Aubrey off the bench.

As another poster commented, this is not a popularity contest. Geno is going to put the 5 players on the court to begin the game that he feels gives his team the best chance to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think all of us saw the lady as a '4'. My comment was directed at those who said it would take at least half the year for her to start or play significant minutes. In the current poll only 8.8% of voters feel she will be a started. I believe in the very versatile mix and match lineups available, Aaliyah is the only one to bring the physicality to play alongside Ono. Although I do rate Anna as the strongest of the wings and Aubrey's quickness and leaping ability will be serviceable as a '4', they won't dominate at the position like Aaliyah. The only caveat to my thinking is that it appears that Aaliyah may also be the only one who can give Olivia 10 minutes of rest she will need.

Yes I agree- - my reply to you was sort of confirming what you had previously said. Though there were some I believe that weren't so optimistic of Edwards being a 4.

Anyways, from what I'm reading - I'm extremely excited to see Edwards. She'd make the game much easier for UCONN.

As for her playing center - great to hear CWill refer to her as tough. But if she is possibly as good as we hear - then there are just a few teams - the very few elite - capable of taking down UCONN. Those teams their opposing center has to rest as well. Their rest is also ONO's rest. And in those big games ONO will play more like 35 minutes than 30.

Reaction Score
Is your comparison of OOC games considering that DePaul was an OOC regular and now moves to conference. That frees up one of last years OOC games.
No didn't consider that, good point, but from an overall SOS standpoint we will play them twice instead of once for sure, with a high likelyhood of meeting them a third time in a conference tournament. It remains to be seen but I certainly believe with fewer OOC games, the big ones will largely stay and the lessor ones will be dropped. One casualty of that will be the tradition of doing graduating seniors a favor by scheduling games close to where they were from. That policy will probably be collateral damage with fewer OOC games.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe that the Big East is rated above the Big 12 at #5 and by the end of the season may be rated even higher. You look at the SEC and B1G and they aren't powerhouses like the ACC and PAC12. Depaul and Marquette could be in the Top 25 along with UConn.
The SEC and ACC were the lowest-rated of the "power 5" conferences in 2019-20. Both were bloated with mediocre to downright awful teams (think Ole Miss and Pitt) that more than offset the South Carolinas and Louisvilles.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking of Christyn’s assessment of her skill set, mentioning that she was “tough” 3 times. While I do not have Aliyah in my starting lineup to begin the season, I also understand that it is very possible that she impresses Geno so much in the coming days, that he has no choice but to start her, and bring Anna or Aubrey off the bench.
If Anna and Aubrey have improved, I don't see them coming off the bench, unless whoever causes them to go there are super players.

Reaction Score
All too often conversations about who starts and who gets how many minutes invoke a reply that Geno knows what he is doing. This is another of those times. The coaching staff will get a good look at not only the frosh but all the players in the next couple of months and then during the first third of the season. I guarantee that Geno and CD have one criteria and one criteria only in deciding who plays and when - which rotations produce the best chance to win. Every player on the roster knows that getting playing time isn't a popularity contest. After about game ten Geno and CD will know the winners and losers in this Darwinian process.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Anna and Aubrey have improved, I don't see them coming off the bench, unless whoever causes them to go there are super players.

If Edwards is as tough as Williams says she is, Geno is going to have some “tough” decisions to make. Anna and Aubrey are in my starting 5. If Edwards starts, and can bring a level of toughness no one else on the team can bring, then one of them comes off the bench.

The fact that UConn only scored 2 points in the first quarter against South Carolina, is still fresh in my mind. I don’t ever want to see that again. Edwards can be a presence down low when ONO is not.

UConn should play the 3 programs they loss to last year. This time, I expect a different outcome. Edwards may play a huge part in that different outcome, especially if she’s the player I/we believe her to be; keeping in mind that she IS NOT your typical freshman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that Muhl is underappreciated on this board. She gets lost in all the Westbrook or Paige talk.
Totally agree! Not as much feedback from Geno and the returning players either.

Reaction Score
I am guessing, based on my limited knowledge from posted information and her personality that has come across from interviews, that Nika has a much more blue collar, business like approach so she doesn't generate "spot light" moments that stand out for discussion in pre-season articles.

Reaction Score
I am guessing, based on my limited knowledge from posted information and her personality that has come across from interviews, that Nika has a much more blue collar, business like approach so she doesn't generate "spot light" moments that stand out for discussion in pre-season articles.

I haven't seen one quote from any of the freshmen since they arrived. The coaches have kept them in a cocoon and only returning players have been "available". I agree with that, even though it means no news. Bueckers is used to constant attention from the media but it could be a distraction for the rest.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I haven't seen one quote from any of the freshmen since they arrived. The coaches have kept them in a cocoon and only returning players have been "available". I agree with that, even though it means no news. Bueckers is used to constant attention from the media but it could be a distraction for the rest.
PB might just be enjoying the team solitude for the first time in years. She has been on the radar since her Freshman year in high school. Now she is isolated with the rest of the Freshman and only associates with basketball team for most of time since she arrived at Storrs. Wonder if she's happy or freaked out about it.

Reaction Score
PB might just be enjoying the team solitude for the first time in years. She has been on the radar since her Freshman year in high school. Now she is isolated with the rest of the Freshman and only associates with basketball team for most of time since she arrived at Storrs. Wonder if she's happy or freaked out about it.

I think you are right about enjoying the solitude. And I think she's loving every minute in the gym. Classwork and basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've always thought of Edwards as a four. I wonder how she is with blocking shots.

Reaction Score
I agree, I don't think she will start at the beginning of the season, but come Big East and NCAA tournament time she will be starting at the 4.
I see it differently. I think Aubrey starts at the 4 all year. AE subs in for her or even Liv at times. Look for Mir, Aubrey and AE to be on the floor together at times during the full court press. 3 great defenders.

Reaction Score
I see it differently. I think Aubrey starts at the 4 all year. AE subs in for her or even Liv at times. Look for Mir, Aubrey and AE to be on the floor together at times during the full court press. 3 great defenders.
You mentioned three for a full court press defensive team, and I think those are great choices, so I will add my two cents and include Nika and Liv to round out the all press/defense unit.

Nika at the point (never seen so many steals off a dribble in highlight clips), Mir and Aubrey as super athletes at the wings, Aaliyah at the 4 and Liv as the last line of defense if they break the press. That is a scary combination for defense, but also could get up and go in transition on offensive fast breaks!

Reaction Score
I don't post often, but here's my 2 cents. Geno will not press for 40 minutes, not in a competitive game and certainly not in a blow out. But pressing at an unexpected time can be a great weapon. It appears Geno has the people he can sub in to do a devastating press and perhaps catch the other team unawares.

Reaction Score
I don't post often, but here's my 2 cents. Geno will not press for 40 minutes, not in a competitive game and certainly not in a blow out. But pressing at an unexpected time can be a great weapon. It appears Geno has the people he can sub in to do a devastating press and perhaps catch the other team unawares.

Or a little tired.

Reaction Score
Yes .. i have mentioned this before, i.e. I'd like to see a 2-2-1 zone press - UCLA style - with Mir&Aubrey on top, Ania&AE as the 2nd row [interceptors] and shot-blocking ONO protecting the rim .. plus the rebounding [and putbacks] from this quintet would be formidable!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom