Freshmen Scouting Report From Christyn | The Boneyard

Freshmen Scouting Report From Christyn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's fun to get her views on the frosh. Here's a couple:

Paige Bueckers: “Paige is really good. She’s special...First of all, she’s a very consistent shooter and she can see the floor really well. She’s one of those passers that it shocks you because you didn’t even see them open and she saw them and then it’s an open shot. She’s a floor general. I’m really excited to play alongside her. Like today, we did transition drills and I love it. I’m running and she just throws the ball. I love it.” A shooter seeing the possibilities!

Aaliyah Edwards: “Aaliyah is very tough. Extremely tough. Someone that we need down there on the post...She’s very versatile. She’s kind of like Phee (Napheesa Collier). She can play on the outside as well but on the inside is where she flourishes more. She’s very tough. She’s a competitor so she competes. On the defensive end, she’s very mature for her age. It’s like she’s done this before. I know she’s played with Canada before. You can tell just by the way she talks and her leadership skills. She brings a lot to the table.”

okay, 1 more -it's short. Nika Muhl: “Nika’s passes are crazy good.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers: “Paige is really good. She’s special...First of all, she’s a very consistent shooter and she can see the floor really well. She’s one of those passers that it shocks you because you didn’t even see them open and she saw them and then it’s an open shot. She’s a floor general. I’m really excited to play alongside her. Like today, we did transition drills and I love it. I’m running and she just throws the ball. I love it.” A shooter seeing the possibilities!

Aaliyah Edwards: “Aaliyah is very tough. Extremely tough. Someone that we need down there on the post...She’s very versatile. She’s kind of like Phee (Napheesa Collier). She can play on the outside as well but on the inside is where she flourishes more. She’s very tough. She’s a competitor so she competes. On the defensive end, she’s very mature for her age. It’s like she’s done this before. I know she’s played with Canada before. You can tell just by the way she talks and her leadership skills. She brings a lot to the table.”

okay, 1 more -it's short. Nika Muhl: “Nika’s passes are crazy good.”

This report is music to my ears. :D Christyn said that Aliyah was "tough" 3 times. Very tough, extremely tough and very tough again. And this coming from an upperclassman that has seen "tough" the last two years, and recognizes it when she sees it. She’s a competitor so she competes. On the defensive end, she’s very mature for her age. It’s like she’s done this before. Uhhh.....yeah?!? :rolleyes:

I'm going to go out on a limb again and predict that - that "toughness" and maturity will earn her a lot of time between the lines this year. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Aaliyah Edwards:Aaliyah is very tough. Extremely tough. Someone that we need down there on the post...She’s very versatile. She’s kind of like Phee (Napheesa Collier). She can play on the outside as well but on the inside is where she flourishes more. She’s very tough. She’s a competitor so she competes. On the defensive end, she’s very mature for her age. It’s like she’s done this before. I know she’s played with Canada before. You can tell just by the way she talks and her leadership skills. She brings a lot to the table.”

More evidence that Edwards will play the 4 at UConn, I remember when I said this months ago and everybody but a few told me I was crazy because she was listed as a "wing" on the roster. I also remember making the comparison to Collier and labeled Edwards as Pheesa 2.0.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Comparing Aaliyah to Phee is very exciting!

I am not sure Edwards will ever be as efficient or as prolific a scorer as Phee, but IMHO she will be close. She will be as good or maybe a little better defensively and rebounding as Phee was!

Reaction Score
More evidence that Edwards will play the 4 at UConn, I remember when I said this months ago and everybody but a few told me I was crazy because she was listed as a "wing" on the roster. I also remember making the comparison to Collier and labeled Edwards as Pheesa 2.0.
2.0 means she is better than Pheesa.... NOT!
How bout Pheesa .50

Reaction Score
I like how many of the reports about the frosh mention their physical presence. Typically, freshmen show off their skills but don't have the UConn ready fitness to maximize their performance. Would be interesting to see frosh reactions when they meet the returning team - pictures of Anna and others show them to be jacked/in excellent shape.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wish I could go to sleep tonight and wake up on the day of our first game. By the way, not too much has been said about Mir. I think that before the season is over she is going to open some eyes.
I believe all of the freshman are going to open some eyes this year. I think that this maybe one of the top freshman classes to come to UConn in a very long time. From what CW is saying even the walk on is tough and can shoot lights out. I can't remember when the upper class leaders were so giddy about a freshman like this. I hope they all get some PT and get to contribute towards a 12th NC.

Reaction Score
And if accurate, should be of some concern to opposing coaches. :D
Our league is garbage. They all know they are going to lose every game by 30+. The more things change the more they stay the same. It's just unfortunate that we have 20 rubbish games instead of 16. At least in the AAC we had a little more flexibility and could schedule four more better teams OOC.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Our league is garbage. They all know they are going to lose every game by 30+. The more things change the more they stay the same. It's just unfortunate that we have 20 rubbish games instead of 16. At least in the AAC we had a little more flexibility and could schedule four more better teams OOC.
I believe that the Big East is rated above the Big 12 at #5 and by the end of the season may be rated even higher. You look at the SEC and B1G and they aren't powerhouses like the ACC and PAC12. Depaul and Marquette could be in the Top 25 along with UConn.

Reaction Score
I believe that the Big East is rated above the Big 12 at #5 and by the end of the season may be rated even higher. You look at the SEC and B1G and they aren't powerhouses like the ACC and PAC12. Depaul and Marquette could be in the Top 25 along with UConn.
Yeah I think of DePaul as the USF equivalent. A well coached team that occasionally will make some noise, but otherwise a team that UConn will steamroll nine times out of ten. I just wonder do the four extra conference games against slightly better competition offset the four OOC games we used to be able to schedule? I don't know the answer to this one. Maybe it's a wash.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah I think of DePaul as the USF equivalent. A well coached team that occasionally will make some noise, but otherwise a team that UConn will steamroll nine times out of ten. I just wonder do the four extra conference games against slightly better competition offset the four OOC games we used to be able to schedule? I don't know the answer to this one. Maybe it's a wash.

Baylor has a much weaker schedule than UConn. Besides playing Texas twice who else is going to give them a challenge in the Big 12? We will still most likely have at least two top 5 teams and an additional 2 to 6 top 25 games played this season.

Reaction Score
DePaul would be middle of the pack in the B1G. And there are a lot of the teams between 50-80 that will move up just because they get beat by UConn twice a year.
The BE is a major move up from the AAC as far as UConn's SOS is concerned.

Reaction Score

Really, how many conferences are better? Maybe three? Four? Definitely not the Big 12. I’m pretty sure we would go undefeated in the Big 10. Face it, there aren’t a lot of better options.

Reaction Score
Appears that this will be the first year in a while where the walk on(s) are competing for playing time rather than simply going into blow outs. Exciting.

I doubt it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not everybody called you crazy. I've consistently named her as the 5th starter. She brings a mature approach to the one spot where we don't have a proven athlete, the power 4. Anna and Aubrey can play the 4 but only Aaliyah IS a power 4. Her only issue that I can think of is the typical issue of winning the coach's trust.

Reaction Score
Not everybody called you crazy. I've consistently named her as the 5th starter. She brings a mature approach to the one spot where we don't have a proven athlete, the power 4. Anna and Aubrey can play the 4 but only Aaliyah IS a power 4. Her only issue that I can think of is the typical issue of winning the coach's trust.

I agree, I don't think she will start at the beginning of the season, but come Big East and NCAA tournament time she will be starting at the 4.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom