Freshman Role Player: Hardly That | The Boneyard

Freshman Role Player: Hardly That

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When I saw this article for the first time in the last 48 hours I liked it. But, they say they updated it in the last hour so:

Can She Get UConn a Fifth Straight Championship?

But I had a beef with it then and do now. In the interest of making things more dramatic they call her a role player last year. Do role players start in their freshman year at UConn? Frosted my butt then. Frosts my butt when they update that kind of "journalistic" what? That is just revisionistic history going the wrong way. She, frankly, did a better job of the second half of her freshman year than Stewie (blasphemer!) and broke her foot.

Anyway, you want to pretend to journalism, get it right GDI.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Umm...I think she was a role player last year. She was great, don't get me wrong, but we had three stars, and Kia and KLS were more role players. As in, they had a specific role, and weren't the main focus on offense. Being a role player is not an insult. As for having a better half of her freshman season than Stewie...:confused:

Reaction Score
When I saw this article for the first time in the last 48 hours I liked it. But, they say they updated it in the last hour so:

But I had a beef with it then and do now. In the interest of making things more dramatic they call her a role player last year. Do role players start in their freshman year at UConn? Frosted my butt then. Frosts my butt when they update that kind of "journalistic" what? That is just revisionistic history going the wrong way. She, frankly, did a better job of the second half of her freshman year than Stewie (blasphemer!) and broke her foot.

I agree that some of the finer points of that article are off base, but overall I liked it. And as it turned out, the elusive (for me) article on CD had a link on that page so I got to finally read it too. I liked that one too, except for the last paragraph or two. They not only have CD possibly leaving, but Geno leaving the team too, to take over the men's team. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Reaction Score
Yep, the role was three-point shooter. Not much more was needed, although Geno expected more, as she found out this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Umm...I think she was a role player last year. She was great, don't get me wrong, but we had three stars, and Kia and KLS were more role players. As in, they had a specific role, and weren't the main focus on offense. Being a role player is not an insult. As for having a better half of her freshman season than Stewie...:confused:

Sorry. You start at UConn, you are no role player from any reasonable definition of role player that I know. As to better half ... should have been more precise... regular season. My principal point: no role player starts for UConn unless we are in deep oriental doo doo.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree that some of the finer points of that article are off base, but overall I liked it. And as it turned out, the elusive (for me) article on CD had a link on that page so I got to finally read it too. I liked that one too, except for the last paragraph or two. They not only have CD possibly leaving, but Geno leaving the team too, to take over the men's team. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That sorta spoiled it, didn't it. When they divulged their chauvinism and total lack of research.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I mean...every team has role players. Our role players would be stars on most other teams, but they are still role players at UConn. As for not starting, I would say Saniya is a role player, Kelly Faris was a role player. So they do start. And you can't really have a team of five stars, it wouldn't work. Yes, Saniya might score a lot of points if she went to the University of Albany, but at UConn her role is to be a facilitator, take care of the ball, and play strong defense.

Reaction Score
Here's the Free Dictionary definition of a "role player": A team athlete who plays mainly in specific situations ... This is not the first definition of the term, but it does cover what Rocky is saying. AND by this definition, Lou was NOT a role player once she stepped into the starter's role. At that point, she was (and remains) a main cog. I think also, in this case, that Rocky finds offense in the description of a certified "star-in-the-making" as a "role player." When players do get spotted into games in certain situations (to inject energy--think Crystal D., or to provide defense--think Kiah Stokes) they are performing a role. But, again, once you're a starter, you can't be called a role player. (Whew!) :eek:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, I think Saniya is a role player, and she's a starter. So was Kelly Faris. So was Doty her senior year.

Reaction Score

You say tomato ; I say too Ma toe--Role player Mole player---Those that didn' t really follow Uconn Women these two years have no real idea of what Katie Lou meant to this team last year or this year for that matter. My view of Ms K .L. Samuelson is: She knows she can score and when needed can take over a game , and she has. When Napheesa and Gabby are running wild --all Katie Lou has to do is feed them, rebound, be a decoy, and threaten to score to keep the defense occupied. She does in many of those games get an incidental 17 points or so.
In those games where Napheesa and Gabby and Kia seem to be sewed up--you will notice KLS --drops 3 after 3 after 3 and also attacks the basket. Since the only STATS I give one Rat's behind about is the final score--and fouls--I have no clue about what she did in the first or second half of last year. We knew then as we do now--Geno got the better Samuelson Sister---we got Katie Lou and they don't.

Reaction Score
Well, I think Saniya is a role player, and she's a starter. So was Kelly Faris. So was Doty her senior year.
I guess you have to define role player for me to accept that Saniya as a starter is a role player. If I accept that--I'd have to say Napheesa is a role player--she scores under the basket. Gabby is a role player --she rebounds and defends, Kia is a role player she feeds the post (except for an occasional 30 points from the 3, then she is a 3 point role player. Butler is a role player as a sub for Gabby/Napheesa?? Danger is a role player sub point guard??
I suppose the whole issues is definition dependent. You say banana---I say passion fruit.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think KLS, Pheesa and Gabby are the stars and the scorers, and Saniya is a role player. Her role is not to be the main focus on offense, but rather to facilitate, take care of the ball, and play defense. She's never going to be the main focus of the other team's scouting report. It's a very important role, and it's certainly not an insult to call her a role player.

Reaction Score
Here's the Free Dictionary definition of a "role player": A team athlete who plays mainly in specific situations ... This is not the first definition of the term, but it does cover what Rocky is saying. AND by this definition, Lou was NOT a role player once she stepped into the starter's role. At that point, she was (and remains) a main cog. I think also, in this case, that Rocky finds offense in the description of a certified "star-in-the-making" as a "role player." When players do get spotted into games in certain situations (to inject energy--think Crystal D., or to provide defense--think Kiah Stokes) they are performing a role. But, again, once you're a starter, you can't be called a role player. (Whew!) :eek:

I totally agree with you and RockyM (for whatever it's worth!). Unless you're going to define each position on the floor as a "role" (i.e.. her role is point guard or shooting guard or center, etc.), I don't think you can be considered a "role player" if you start. Interesting question though.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
:) see how easily words can offend.. the role of a point Guard is to...? and the role of a Wing is to..?
In team sports it's not uncommon for everyone to have roles, Even the Star players can have the role of playing decoy on occasion, so what's the big deal really.. ? IMO Last year Lou's role was to score and learn to play better Defense... This team is about winning and doing what it takes to accomplish that.. Haven't you guys notice how Each player on this team is always trying to give the other players credit instead of themselves..

Reaction Score

Thanks for the definition---I've never seen it but ---it more or less , mostly more, follows my image/belief. My image of KLS , for most of her playing time--at least in the second half of the year--she wasn't inserted ONLY as a 3 point shooter (i.e. role player) --as the year progressed and she got more PT she was demanded to attack the basket and stop standing around---ie you are not just a 3 point shooter--defend, rebound and pick up some fouls. Regardless of Geno's term Role player--probably when she began--for KLS --it was not her eventual role.`

Reaction Score
I mean...every team has role players. Our role players would be stars on most other teams, but they are still role players at UConn....
All our players are role players. All our players are not bench warmers/roster fillers. All our players are not leaders.

Saniya, Gabby, Napheesa,Kia and Dangerfield if they were anywhere else in the country as freshman (not an Albany) - MD, ND, USC, etc... top flight D1 school...would start and be stars.

Geno has his methods and not every player thrives in it. His method involves players taking time, evolving and producing consistently. Sometimes that means a freshman may start and other times dependent upon the position, team needs, development and production- they wont.

The GOATs MMoore (30-38) and BStewart (14-36) didn't start every game as freshman. Tuck and Jefferson definitely didn't start much as freshman or get much playing time.

On All-Access/the Geno Show Geno has said that as a freshman all KLS had to do was float to her spot on the floor and shoot the three ball. Defense was not asked of her, no dribble drives, assists, steals or blocks. Shea Ralph "the one good thing for Lou is that last year she was somewhat a role player last year and learned from the older players"(Huskies All Access 3-23-17).

The reason that this year is such a surprise to Geno and the rest of the staff is that all the returning players were role players. The great unknown was how GB, KN, KLS, NC, SC would respond now that the responsibility of leading the team was now on their shoulders.

This year is completely different. (Hell watch tonight's Huskie All Access).

Reaction Score
:) see how easily words can offend.. the role of a point Guard is to...? and the role of a Wing is to..?
In team sports it's not uncommon for everyone to have roles, Even the Star players can have the role of playing decoy on occasion, so what's the big deal really.. ? IMO Last year Lou's role was to score and learn to play better Defense... This team is about winning and doing what it takes to accomplish that.. Haven't you guys notice how Each player on this team is always trying to give the other players credit instead of themselves..
I agree---most of EVERY Freshman's ROLE is to learn-the Geno way. I don't think anyone even Rocky is "offended" about the term--there is more to it than just that. Words in the American language (we don't speak English-English) depending on the industry or education will have (if only slight) different meanings to you. Soda---Pop. around the country mean very different things.

Reaction Score
I don't think the spirit of the article was 'role player' in the sense that Tom Brady is a 'role player' because quarterback is just a 'role' in the team concept. As used in sports nowadays role player means something like, "less important contributor than a star." Kiah Stokes was a role player, albeit an important one. Natalie Butler is a role player in the same sense. Saniya, although she is a starter, is probably a 'role player' in today's common usage, and in the usage intended in the article.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess you have to define role player for me to accept that Saniya as a starter is a role player.
A player who is not one of the "Core Four". :cool:

Reaction Score
Sorry. You start at UConn, you are no role player from any reasonable definition of role player that I know. As to better half ... should have been more precise... regular season. My principal point: no role player starts for UConn unless we are in deep oriental doo doo.

I like your perspective. I will add two points, one against and one for. As almost any freshman, but especially coming into the season with three AA seniors (two arguably the best ever at their position,) its hard to be much more than a role-type player beginning the season. However, folks shoud ask if she was a "role" player in the NCAA tournament. If I recall correctly, KLS was tearing it up before hurting her foot. And it was more than just shooting 3s too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like your perspective. I will add two points, one against and one for. As almost any freshman, but especially coming into the season with three AA seniors (two arguably the best ever at their position,) its hard to be much more than a role-type player beginning the season. However, folks shoud ask if she was a "role" player in the NCAA tournament. If I recall correctly, KLS was tearing it up before hurting her foot. And it was more than just shooting 3s too.

Your memory is dead on b#lls accurate.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
You guys are heavily discussing the calling of Lou a "role player" yet everyone misses the HUGE dis of an article like this...

"But UConn lacks veterans. With their two stars as sophomores and only one senior playing heavy minutes, the Huskies will be up against much more experienced teams"

I guess this author has never heard of GABBY and NURSE, but I'm not worried at all as he will find out soon enough who they are when the All-Americans are announced....and I sure hope he feels really, really, really stupid for thinking they don't play into the outcome of games. How many games would we have lost without those two? Plenty more than zero, that's a fact.

It's ok, go ahead Gabby and Kia you do your thing and show em all up ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom