Fresh off elbow surgery, Christyn Williams eager for redemption | The Boneyard

Fresh off elbow surgery, Christyn Williams eager for redemption

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Each year we have read this sentence. Perhaps this year it will have meaning. Perhaps the threat of losing out to an underclassman guard will be the needed motivation. I use the future tense since I am not yet a true believer.
"This year, though, she’s a year older and knows what’s expected and how deliver it."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"Add in a midsummer elbow surgery and Williams returns to Storrs for her final year eager as ever to “kick some ass” and “kill everybody that steps on the court,” as she said in July."

I'm all in for those sentiments. Last year, I think maybe the only player with a "killer" mentality was Nika, and to a lesser extent, Paige/Evina. I'm not talking about going out and playing really well, I'm talking about Christyn's comments of "kick ass and kill" opponents. Christyn has such a bubbly and fun personality, I look forward to seeing how she translates the new attitude to her play on the court.

I hope the bitter final 4 loss, combined with the other-worldly competitiveness of the freshmen AND sophomores, pushes the entire team to play with an edge and large chip on their shoulder. Obviously a NC is the first priority, but I'd love to see Christyn earn some sort of AA honors (not just honorable mention). Go UCONN!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Add in a midsummer elbow surgery and Williams returns to Storrs for her final year eager as ever to “kick some ass” and “kill everybody that steps on the court,” as she said in July."

I'm all in for those sentiments. Last year, I think maybe the only player with a "killer" mentality was Nika, and to a lesser extent, Paige/Evina. I'm not talking about going out and playing really well, I'm talking about Christyn's comments of "kick ass and kill" opponents. Christyn has such a bubbly and fun personality, I look forward to seeing how she translates the new attitude to her play on the court.

I hope the bitter final 4 loss, combined with the other-worldly competitiveness of the freshmen AND sophomores, pushes the entire team to play with an edge and large chip on their shoulder. Obviously a NC is the first priority, but I'd love to see Christyn earn some sort of AA honors (not just honorable mention). Go UCONN!!
" talking about Christyn's comments of "kick ass and kill" opponents." I'd love to see that thought and mind-set come to fruition by this team throughout the the season through the championship game in April. I know it's been said many times, but IF this team collectively decides to not look ahead, and take one game at a time, it can be done.

Adopt the attitude that the most important game on our schedule is THE NEXT ONE. Focus on doing whatever you have to to win THAT game. No looking ahead, no looking back. Every player goes into each game ready willing and able to do whatever they are asked/needed to do.

Be it 3 minutes or 33 minutes. Play as hard as you can as long as you're on the floor. Geno can spell you if you need a blow. Take no plays off. As far as each player on this team is concerned....the only game on their schedule is ARKANSAS. #NODAYSOFF. Ask no quarter - give none.

Reaction Score
Time for current UCONN to stop living off the shadows of yester year and stop worrying about comparisons to other legends in the program and just put their own personal stamp on the program. So looking forward to Christyn WIllams having a big year. Her Playoff run was incredible and I hope she builds off where she left off.

Reaction Score
I just hope that Caroline Ducharme doesn't try to do too much. Just let the game come to her and use her skill set to take advantage of moments out on the floor. Just play to your potential, Caroline Ducharme.

Reaction Score
Over the last 3 years, Christyn has been this close (holds two fingers a millimeter apart) to being the real deal.
She can lock down someone's best scorer, drive through zones like a knife through butter, run the floor in transition like she invented it, and give everybody not wearing a UCONN uniform acute indigestion.
Then there were those times when, inexplicably, she just seemed to zone out , disappear, go into a funk...supply your own metaphor.
I have really LOVED watching her operate.
Now it's possible that the missed opportunities can all be retrieved.
Just put it all together, CW, for 40 games (Carnac is spot on when saying "one at a time"), be the senior partner that shows the way and leads by example. Put your name # number up in the rafters at Gempel, where it was meant to go.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
" talking about Christyn's comments of "kick ass and kill" opponents." I'd love to see that thought and mind-set come to fruition by this team throughout the the season through the championship game in April. I know it's been said many times, but IF this team collectively decides to not look ahead, and take one game at a time, it can be done.

Adopt the attitude that the most important game on our schedule is THE NEXT ONE. Focus on doing whatever you have to to win THAT game. No looking ahead, no looking back. Every player goes into each game ready willing and able to do whatever they are asked/needed to do.

Be it 3 minutes or 33 minutes. Play as hard as you can as long as you're on the floor. Geno can spell you if you need a blow. Take no plays off. As far as each player on this team is concerned....the only game on their schedule is ARKANSAS. #NODAYSOFF. Ask no quarter - give none.
well, this is fine and good -- in theory. but you know that when you're winning by 30 points by the middle of the 2nd quarter, and you know that whoever you're playing ain't up to give you a challenge and some will just throw in the towel ... well, in those circumstances you're gonna find it damn hard to keep a killer mentality and to continue to play as hard as you can. you're gonna ease up.

geez. they're human. they need a break. ideally, they'll leave the goal of obliterating the opponent behind and substitute the joys of the game itself: playing it the best way possible (the UConn way) and having fun .

but they'd better not start assuming every game will run that course. ... and if they are as dominating a team as i think they will be this year, there's a real danger this will happen. i hope they will have the maturity to be avoid such complacency.

Reaction Score
I just hope that Caroline Ducharme doesn't try to do too much. Just let the game come to her and use her skill set to take advantage of moments out on the floor. Just play to your potential, Caroline Ducharme.
Do you think she was doing this due to lack of depth last season? I think this year is a totally different situation and that she'll be able to be herself.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Isn't anyone bothered by the fact that despite Christyn's excellent performances in the NCAA tournament, she inexplicably missed those two free throws near the end of the Baylor game? If she had made them both, The Call (which followed right after that) would have been a non-issue. I do give her credit for being under the basket to grab the last rebound away from NaLyssa Smith after Carrington's controversial miss.

Other players who were often afflicted by "nerves" (I'm thinking of KLS) could still make critical free throws at the end of close games. I hope Christyn has acquired enough maturity so that she will be able to make free throws at an equally critical moment in the upcoming season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
well, this is fine and good -- in theory. but you know that when you're winning by 30 points by the middle of the 2nd quarter, and you know that whoever you're playing ain't up to give you a challenge and some will just throw in the towel ... well, in those circumstances you're gonna find it damn hard to keep a killer mentality and to continue to play as hard as you can. you're gonna ease up.

geez. they're human. they need a break. ideally, they'll leave the goal of obliterating the opponent behind and substitute the joys of the game itself: playing it the best way possible (the UConn way) and having fun .

but they'd better not start assuming every game will run that course. ... and if they are as dominating a team as i think they will be this year, there's a real danger this will happen. i hope they will have the maturity to be avoid such complacency.
Of course there will be games against opponents that are nowhere near being competitive. You’re right, those games should be over by halftime. I’m talking about the games against the top ten ranked elite teams they’ll play. No need for the starters to keep throwing dirt on a body that’s already buried. Give the shovel to the players on the end of the bench. it fun when you win. No one likes to lose. I recall on several occasions Paige has said she “hates” to lose. Geno and staff will figure out an equitable rotation that is commensurate with each player’s skill and abilities.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The problem is she has been just letting the game come to her This has not worked. Geno chastised Paige for waiting for the game to come to her. They both need to impose their will and themselves on the game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Of course there will be games against opponents that are nowhere near being competitive. You’re right, those games should be over by halftime. I’m talking about the games against the top ten ranked elite teams they’ll play. No need for the starters to keep throwing dirt on a body that’s already buried. Give the shovel to the players on the end of the bench. it fun when you win. No one likes to lose. I recall on several occasions Paige has said she “hates” to lose. Geno and staff will figure out an equitable rotation that is commensurate with each player’s skill and abilities.
Geno does not want them to learn bad habits by easing off the "cadaver." Continue to beat it until the last second has passed. Not just the starters, the entire team. The championship teams never took their collective "foot" off any opponents neck.

Reaction Score

In the past the intensity, especially on defense, never let up no matter the score. No traps or pressure but still intense. What does change is that Geno calls a halt to transition play. Even on perimeter turnovers the ball will be held and brought up slowly.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Isn't anyone bothered by the fact that despite Christyn's excellent performances in the NCAA tournament, she inexplicably missed those two free throws near the end of the Baylor game? If she had made them both, The Call (which followed right after that) would have been a non-issue. I do give her credit for being under the basket to grab the last rebound away from NaLyssa Smith after Carrington's controversial miss.

Other players who were often afflicted by "nerves" (I'm thinking of KLS) could still make critical free throws at the end of close games. I hope Christyn has acquired enough maturity so that she will be able to make free throws at an equally critical moment in the upcoming season.
Joe, that game is in the rear view mirror, and cannot be replayed. I appreciate your concern here, but the ink is dry on the details in the record book. You can’t replay that game, but you can impact and help decide the outcome of the next game vs Arkansas. That should be the only game on our player’s mind. Looking back and lamenting over spilled milk is not something I want our team to do. The thing we want most this season is in front of us, waiting to be won. All we have to do is go get it.
The problem is she has been just letting the game come to her This has not worked. Geno chastised Paige for waiting for the game to come to her. They both need to impose their will and themselves on the game.
Not taking sides here, just sharing an observation. Remember the game vs South Carolina 2-3 years ago when UConn only scored 2 points in the first quarter? That was a perfect example of being aggressive and taking it to your opponent versus waiting for the game to come to you. SC was aggressive and took it to us from the tip.

2 points in the first quarter. The game was out of reach after 10 minutes. UConn had no momentum, and played from behind all evening. They dug themselves a hole quickly that they never could get out of. Something to think about.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Please! You are making a trend line out of a dubious interpretation of a single data point?
Joe, that game is in the rear view mirror, and cannot be replayed. I appreciate your concern here, but the ink is dry on the details in the record book. You can’t replay that game, but you can impact and help decide the outcome of the next game vs Arkansas. That should be the only game on our player’s mind. Looking back and lamenting over spilled milk is not something I want our team to do. The thing we want most this season is in front of us, waiting to be won. All we have to do is go get it.

Not taking sides here, just sharing an observation. Remember the game vs South Carolina 2-3 years ago when UConn only scored 2 points in the first quarter? That was a perfect example of being aggressive and taking it to your opponent versus waiting for the game to come to you. SC was aggressive and took it to us from the tip.

2 points in the first quarter. The game was out of reach after 10 minutes. UConn had no momentum, and played from behind all evening. They dug themselves a hole quickly that they never could get out of. Something to think about.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Please! You are making a trend line out of a dubious interpretation of a single data point?
Just sharing an observation. Agree or disagree if you wish.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno does not want them to learn bad habits by easing off the "cadaver." Continue to beat it until the last second has passed. Not just the starters, the entire team. The championship teams never took their collective "foot" off any opponents neck.
Your point is well taken. My point is when you have a 30-40 point lead in the 4th quarter against an inferior opponent, you’ve already won the game and proved your point. Why not let the bench mob get some run. If not during a game where the outcome has long since been determined, then when? Of course the reserves are expected to come in and pick up where the starters left off. That goes without saying.

Reaction Score
Your point is well taken. My point is when you have a 30-40 point lead in the 4th quarter against an inferior opponent, you’ve already won the game and proved your point. Why not let the bench mob get some run. If not during a game where the outcome has long since been determined, then when? Of course the reserves are expected to come in and pick up where the starters left off. That goes without saying.
The reserves need to demonstrate they can defend in order to get more playing time in a "stomp" and take the "smart" shots or give a crisp pass for an assist. What one does during playing time is always an audition for more (or less) playing time...

I sure Geno, CD and company have said that hundreds of times already.....

I am hoping for 20+ 35 or more MOVs over the course of the year...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Christyn has such a bubbly and fun personality, I look forward to seeing how she translates the new attitude to her play on the court
I’m not sure, but the lockdown D she showed us at the end of last season would be a good start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom