Fresh article on Mir Mclean | The Boneyard

Fresh article on Mir Mclean

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She committed to UConn following an unofficial visit to Storrs in June that included a scholarship offer from Auriemma.

It was her father who put her on to another outstanding athlete — UConn two-time All-American and two-time national champion and 1,000/1,000 club member Gabby Williams.

“My dad, before he passed, told me that I should watch her and the way she played,” McLean said. “He told me that I reminded him of her, that she worked hard and did the right things and was contributing at both ends of the court. Gabby made players around her better. She’s a motor player who doesn’t take plays off, and that’s the kind of player I try to be.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice find @Sluconn Husky . This little bit I did not get: "They don’t have all these bells and whistles, "... That is the second article with that phrase coming out of Mir or her mother. What do other programs have that our program doesn't have? As D use to say "we're treated like rock stars ... it's ridiculous".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to stan any commit that recognizes the brilliance of Gabby Williams. If McLean is even half the athlete Williams is (and video makes it sure seem like she’s about as athletic as Williams), she has the potential to be a major contributor.

Reaction Score
Nice find @Sluconn Husky . This little bit I did not get: "They don’t have all these bells and whistles, "... That is the second article with tat phrase coming out of Mir or her mother. What do other programs have that our program doesn't have? As D use to say "we're treated like rock stars ... it's ridiculous".
They might be referring to bigger cities like LA or Austin or maybe they’re referring to fluff (playing time “guarantees”, listless praise of the recruit, etc.) that other recruiters probably push? That’s my interpretation, but it could be a reference to something else.

Reaction Score
Nice find @Sluconn Husky . This little bit I did not get: "They don’t have all these bells and whistles, "... That is the second article with tat phrase coming out of Mir or her mother. What do other programs have that our program doesn't have? As D use to say "we're treated like rock stars ... it's ridiculous".
You have not been to the big money athletic department schools lately. It's ridiculous what some schools are building just to attract the best athletes. It's primarily for football, but other programs benefit from it as well. These recruits have probably seen it first hand, and perhaps that's what they mean. It's telling what some schools showcase when they host recruits. Most do not have the luxury of showing off their illustrious WCBB history the way Geno can, so they have to try and get it done with shiny objects.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You have not been to the big money athletic department schools lately. It's ridiculous what some schools are building just to attract the best athletes. It's primarily for football, but other programs benefit from it as well. These recruits have probably seen it first hand, and perhaps that's what they mean. It's telling what some schools showcase when they host recruits. Most do not have the luxury of showing off their illustrious WCBB history the way Geno can, so they have to try and get it done with shiny objects.

Ah-hah! But we do have 11 shiny objects and some very interesting wall hangings.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice story by Carl. Note the part about her mom playing for Northeastern and against UConn in 1991. The first but hopefully not the last UConn player whose mom played against UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This piece was interesting.

But she soon learned that UConn commits have a target on their backs.

“I felt that,” McLean said. “If I didn’t play well, people would be like, ‘Why is she going there?’ But I used it as motivation. I knew I had to step up and find ways to help my team.”

Reaction Score
She committed to UConn following an unofficial visit to Storrs in June that included a scholarship offer from Auriemma.

It was her father who put her on to another outstanding athlete — UConn two-time All-American and two-time national champion and 1,000/1,000 club member Gabby Williams.

“My dad, before he passed, told me that I should watch her and the way she played,” McLean said. “He told me that I reminded him of her, that she worked hard and did the right things and was contributing at both ends of the court. Gabby made players around her better. She’s a motor player who doesn’t take plays off, and that’s the kind of player I try to be.”

Agreat find and a great article but I'd expect no less from you on UC recruits. Good work. Tear jerker me--I got all teary eyed on her father comments. Good kid.

Reaction Score
Nice find @Sluconn Husky . This little bit I did not get: "They don’t have all these bells and whistles, "... That is the second article with that phrase coming out of Mir or her mother. What do other programs have that our program doesn't have? As D use to say "we're treated like rock stars ... it's ridiculous".
I too don't under stand the bells and whistles comment. What is it Uconn WBB is supposed to have. Obviously they are not Stanford (no movies stars paying to get kids on the team) or Ivy league but they have the greatest WBB program in the world for kids this age....Is there more to be had???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mir’s comments about her father tugged at my heart as well, and I also felt that in directing his daughter to emulate Gabby, Mr. McLean had as much to do with Mir’s ultimate decision to attend UConn as anyone. I have no doubt that Mir’s father would be very proud of his daughter.

Reaction Score
I remember Ann Strother was recruited by Tennessee & they put on a big show for her in their arena - with her name blazing on all the scoreboards, an announcer, etc., i.e., "bells & whistles." She commented that it made her a bit uncomfortable; she preferred Geno's more basic approach. Fans may treat players like rock stars, but they don't get that from Geno when they're in Storrs.

Reaction Score
This piece was interesting.

But she soon learned that UConn commits have a target on their backs.

“I felt that,” McLean said. “If I didn’t play well, people would be like, ‘Why is she going there?’ But I used it as motivation. I knew I had to step up and find ways to help my team.”
I don't think it is a "target on their backs" as much as a desire and (internally) knowing to be a Uconn husky sets one apart from the best.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a "target on their backs" as much as a desire and (internally) knowing to be a Uconn husky sets one apart from the best.

............on and off the court. She will be expected (by fans) to comport herself (and play) like she’s already a member of the team. From now on, when they see her, they’ll see UConn, knowing that’s her next team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She’s going to be a good one!

Kevin, I have a “gut feeling “ that this is an understatement. She appears to be a young lady that is focused on what she wants to do now and in the future, and has figured out the best way to get there. She speaks with wisdom and maturity that is beyond most kids her age.

She listened to her dad. She valued and respected his vision and wisdom. Mom definitely has her ear. Like many of the youngsters coming out of high school today, she doesn't want to be just good, she wants to be great. With her commitment to UConn, she has taken the first definitive step in that direction. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they’re referring to all the stunts coaches pull to get recruits to commit. I think Geno just tells it like it is. Other programs sell dreams to these players, have photoshoots/media day with potential uniforms on, and so many other things. You don’t get that with UConn. You either coming or you ain’t! Lol

Reaction Score
Boneyarders tend to compare recruits to past UConn players. Has Mir been compared to any former players in abilities?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember Ann Strother was recruited by Tennessee & they put on a big show for her in their arena - with her name blazing on all the scoreboards, an announcer, etc., i.e., "bells & whistles." She commented that it made her a bit uncomfortable; she preferred Geno's more basic approach. Fans may treat players like rock stars, but they don't get that from Geno when they're in Storrs.

Illustrations of your point from a recent commit:

“I called [Auriemma] and I was like, ‘Hey coach, where do you see me playing?’” Poffenbarger said. “And he’s like, ‘I have no idea. You’re not here, you haven’t gone against our team.’ I like that about him, because nothing is given to you. I feel like that will kind of help me ease my nerves, because you can always control how hard you work, and that will help.”

“He’s really genuine and honest. He says it how it is,” she said. “He doesn’t want any 15- or 16-year-old friends. He just wants girls who want to come play for him. … A lot of coaches have adapted to our generation where it’s very relationship (-driven), you have to call them all the time and be very involved. I just like how he’s kept it very old-fashioned. He’s your coach, there’s nothing else to it.”

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wonder if Tiff every got that invitation to get on the boat? :confused:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Since the recruit thread has been confoundingly nuked, I guess this is the best place for this vid.

Reaction Score
Neat kid. Good on UCONN. One of the reasons I root for UCONN is the quality of individual they recruit. Great kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom