Free year for Warde | The Boneyard

Free year for Warde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Warde made his first good decision at UConn. By keeping P, he bought himself an extra year on the job as well. To stick with industry norm and give P that third year is in Warde's best interest. If P tanks, it is a throw away year that isn't Warde's fault ("I didn't hire him"). If P does great, Warde is ingenious. Seriously, this was an easy decision for Warde Manuel.

Reaction Score
One way to look at it I suppose. . . .based on what I've seen the past 2 years this will give the next coach and the program a much bigger hole to dig out of.
Don't think this is the right time to be sticking with the "industry norm"- playing the game by the book like a baseball manager - when the industry itself is changing at light speed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that one part of this equation is that everyone within the school's administrations knows that with the upcoming schedule, we would have difficulty regardless of who the coach is but also will have little problem selling tickets. We also will be in need of something to cause excitement for the 2014 season or we will end up with MAC like attendance.

Whatever juice a new hire would add (in terms of ticket sales) will be unnecessary for 2013 and may well be gone by 2014 if we get smoked by Michigan, Cincy & Boise St and lose to Maryland SMU & Houston. If the new coach is replacing the guy who got smoked by Michigan, Cincy & Boise St and lost to Maryland SMU & Houston, the fans will have a far different view of 2014 and may be far more willing to buy tickets.

Reaction Score
I think you guys are over thinking it. He's just following the conventional wisdom that you should give a coach 3 years to get his guys in and his systems installed before you can fairly judge him. He's doing what probably 8 out of 10 ADs would do with a second year coach that's batted a little under .500. I don't know if I agree with it, but I think you're going a little overboard with the nefarious plots. While we're at it, WM is actually a Michigan double agent that was sent to Buffalo 8 years ago to build his resume, to come here when JH is fired, to keep P for next year's game increasing the likelihood of a Michigan victory. The only reason Buffalo's FB team did well was that Michigan was paying their opponents to take a dive, which is why Turner Gill was exposed when he went to Kansas

Reaction Score
Warde made his first good decision at UConn. By keeping P, he bought himself an extra year on the job as well. To stick with industry norm and give P that third year is in Warde's best interest. If P tanks, it is a throw away year that isn't Warde's fault ("I didn't hire him"). If P does great, Warde is ingenious. Seriously, this was an easy decision for Warde Manuel.

Nope. Sorry. Fire Warde for not firing Paul. Really important to have an AD who has some background and knowledge in athletics. Again what was UConn thinking? He clearly has none, keeping Grampa P around.

Reaction Score

Yeah it was his second toughest decision of the day. The first being jelly or glazed.

Reaction Score
Yes, what a free year. The NCAA says your BB program is only slightly better than PSU FB; your HoF coach ducks you in to taking his guy and then makes you look like an idiot for not immediately ordaining a guy /no experience as "the man"; you're in a conference that is imploding; some schools hate you because your idiot AG shot his load and fired off a lawsuit while others think you lie, cheat and steal, at least your BB team; your funds are de minimus; your FB team sh1ts the bed; your olympic sports come up 1 game short ... again; you need to upgrade the BB (and hockey) facilities; and generally make up for a lost decade. Free sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Yes, what a free year. The NCAA says your BB program is only slightly better than PSU FB; your HoF coach ducks you in to taking his guy and then makes you look like an idiot for not immediately ordaining a guy /no experience as "the man"; you're in a conference that is imploding; some schools hate you because your idiot AG shot his load and fired off a lawsuit while others think you lie, cheat and steal, at least your BB team; your funds are de minimus; your FB team sh1ts the bed; your olympic sports come up 1 game short ... again; you need to upgrade the BB (and hockey) facilities; and generally make up for a lost decade. Free sounds about right.

That just about covers it.

Reaction Score

You really need to start paying better attention to some of the other things going in the Athletic Department.

Warde did what a decent AD would do if he were in charge of a stable athletic department. Unfortunately we are not in a stable position.

The three year rule might work against us because a program like ours can't afford three successive bad years.

If you thought we struggled against this year's schedule... oh boy. If you think any games are automatic wins for this team then you are wrong.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline