Free throws | The Boneyard

Free throws

Reaction Score
T Smith's 2-7 and Cobb 0-2 will be gone. Take away Jalen's 5-6 and we go 13-16 with the rest that will be here next year.
If Polley and Wilson are going to play regular minutes as shooters, their free throw shooting MUST improve. 63% and 51% respectively. They cannot be regulars at their role with those kinds of numbers. Carlton at 65% isn't a complete disaster but that number also has to improve.

Reaction Score
Yeah T Smith was so frustrating at the line. Gilbert, B Adams, Polley and Vital coming back are decent to good FTs. Sid made some big ones down the stretch.
Disagree on Polley and B Adams. B Adams shot 20 FTs on the year, not enough of a sample size to make any judgment on his ability. Polley is in the game to shoot the ball from the perimeter. You cannot be a ~40% 3-ball shooter and a 63% FT shooter. Someone in his role must be 75%+.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Polley and Wilson are going to play regular minutes as shooters, their free throw shooting MUST improve. 63% and 51% respectively. They cannot be regulars at their role with those kinds of numbers. Carlton at 65% isn't a complete disaster but that number also has to improve.

Sid was 4-4 today and I have confidence he can get his number up around 75%.

Polley? For as good of a square up shooter as he is from 3, I can't fathom how he isn't already at 80%.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Smith borderline unplayable at the end of games because of terrible free throw shooting AND decision making.

Yeah but we had no other ball handlers.

With no JA/AG, watch what happens to our turnovers without Smith

Reaction Score
I watched every game this year and over all the team really needs to work on their free throw shooting. It cost them a couple games and when they could have put a few other teams away didn't. The easiest shot in basketball and there is no reason why everyone on the team can't hit 8 or better out of every ten. Tired legs? Well work harder in the off season so that you can actually play 40 minutes and make your "FREE" throws at the end when they are the most crucial. No excuses for missing free throws. Hurley should make them shoot 100 for every one they miss and.... they have to finish making 10 in a row.

Reaction Score
The free throw shooting will improve if the guys coming in are better shooters; you might get marginal improvement from the returning guys. It is what it is. If it was that easy to improve on free throw shooting, every team in the country would shoot that much better. I'm actually hoping that our end game decision making improves as we continue to learn how to win.

Reaction Score
Sid was 4-4 today and I have confidence he can get his number up around 75%.

Polley? For as good of a square up shooter as he is from 3, I can't fathom how he isn't already at 80%.
Sid may have been 4-4 today, and that's certainly a positive sign, but prior to today he was 15-33. A small sample size, but indicative that there's a problem. His numbers need to go up.

Polley is the biggest free throw problem on the team going forward. He cannot command minutes shooting 63% from the line if there are better options.

Reaction Score
Every possible member of the 2019-2020 UConn MBB must shoot at least 100 free throws every day between the end of this season and the beginning of next season - and by November 2019 must make at least 80%.

The Steve Nash shooting drill maybe?

Reaction Score
The free throw shooting will improve if the guys coming in are better shooters; you might get marginal improvement from the returning guys. It is what it is. If it was that easy to improve on free throw shooting, every team in the country would shoot that much better. I'm actually hoping that our end game decision making improves as we continue to learn how to win.

This may be true in general, but we saw huge improvement from several players in the past.

Remember Rodney Purvis was a liability? He improved and became a good free throw shooter.

There was an emphasis on shooting FTs with that Nash drill.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I watched every game this year and over all the team really needs to work on their free throw shooting. It cost them a couple games and when they could have put a few other teams away didn't. The easiest shot in basketball and there is no reason why everyone on the team can't hit 8 or better out of every ten. Tired legs? Well work harder in the off season so that you can actually play 40 minutes and make your "FREE" throws at the end when they are the most crucial. No excuses for missing free throws. Hurley should make them shoot 100 for every one they miss and.... they have to finish making 10 in a row.

I assume you've watched basketball before. Average in college is about 70%. Bad shooting teams, which we demonstrably are, go from 60-65% or so.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sid may have been 4-4 today, and that's certainly a positive sign, but prior to today he was 15-33. A small sample size, but indicative that there's a problem. His numbers need to go up.

He's not a good shooter. Therefore, probably not gonna be a good FT shooter.

But yes, his all around shooting game desperately needs to improve.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This may be true in general, but we saw huge improvement from several players in the past.

Remember Rodney Purvis was a liability? He improved and became a good free throw shooter.

There was an emphasis on shooting FTs with that Nash drill.

Purvis had a fair bit of talent to work with tho. And was a decent 3pt shooter to boot.

Guys can improve, no doubt. But to expect everything to happen in year 1 of a new staff, idk

Polley is currently an enigma, as his 3pt shot is so solid. I recall a guy or two like this in the NBA tho. who knows?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom