free throws where ugly tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not sure that stats, but it really seemed like an issue

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I'm reading the box score correctly we were 31-43 from the FT line.

Every coach in America will take that. That means the other team is getting many of their players in foul trouble, disrupting playing patterns and means Uconn is getting to the rim.

Reaction Score
Free throws last year were outstanding, probably due to how high of a percentage Kemba took of UConn's FTs. Huge factor in deciding all those close games we had. Will be hard to live up to the same shooting from last year, but still pretty good.

Reaction Score
I don't expect Lamb to miss 2 more all year. Though I am amazed at AD's technique. Shoots like he was handed a ball for the first time.

Reaction Score
If I'm reading the box score correctly we were 31-43 from the FT line.

Every coach in America will take that. That means the other team is getting many of their players in foul trouble, disrupting playing patterns and means Uconn is getting to the rim.

My point was not how they got to the line...but what they did there... napier and lamb missed two in arow. Just hard to watch

Reaction Score
On the other hand our FTs were the difference. Without them we may have lost, even though there was a big disparity.

Reaction Score
I don't expect Lamb to miss 2 more all year. Though I am amazed at AD's technique. Shoots like he was handed a ball for the first time.
Yeah, weird technique. Seems to push it from his chin - almost like a set shot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only thing more boring than someone harping about free throw shooting is someone harping on free throw shooting after a double digit win. Especially when the FT shooting wasn't all that bad. Central was a Top 10 FT shooting team last year. Wanna trade?

Reaction Score
Well early on our FT% prominently displayed on the stats board had a big fat zero. That % went to around 60% for a while but edged its way back up to over 70 once the guards and wings were going to the line.

AD is a fricken adventure from the line. He's so big and strong he sort of short arms it and still almost breaks the backboard. The little guys can pretty much snap off their FT with full arm extension and develop an fluid repeatable stroke. We all underestimate how hard it is for the big guys with long huge arms to develop a fluid repeatable stroke. If AD were to reproduce the same motion a 6-1 guard does he'd fling that sucker over the backboard. With that said, they can be taught a motion that should work, but he he's going to have to settle on one and work on it. That short arm action he's using now is simply problematic. I'm surprised that his pre-college coaches weren't able to get him further along.

Alex has been bad at the line the three games I've seen so far. He seemed to settle down and make his last FTs last night. He improved a lot late last season. I'm sure he'll get back to that and will be good enough not to hurt us at the line.

Tyler has been pretty good at the line and simply needs consistency.

Now the bad FT shooting wasn't just the big guys. Poor FT shooting can be contagious at times, but I think this team will steadily improve at the line as the season goes on. Bazz, Lamb and Daniels should be strong from the line. I think Tyler, Roscoe and Giffey will be solid as well.

It's AD who concerns me. He could easily be south of 40% and teams with depth in the post are going to hack him, especially late in games. As good as that strategy sounds, teams will have to be careful not to get UConn into the bonus too quickly. If that happens, expect JC to attack the pain with our guards and wings getting our shooters to the line. It's late in close games where JC will have some tough decisions when to put AD in and when to take him out. We're going to see JC do a lot of offense (AD Out)/defense (AD In) substituting late in close games until Andre shows he can make some FTs.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Andre use to be a pretty good free throw shooter from his days at Capitol Prep in Hartford. I think he will improve but it will take time to get the mechanics.

Well early on our FT% prominently displayed on the stats board had a big fat zero. That % went to around 60% for a while but edged its way back up to over 70 once the guards and wings were going to the line.

AD is a fricken adventure from the line. He's so big and strong he sort of short arms it and still almost breaks the backboard. The little guys can pretty much snap off their FT with full arm extension and develop an fluid repeatable stroke. We all underestimate how hard it is for the big guys with long huge arms to develop a fluid repeatable stroke. If AD were to reproduce the same motion a 6-1 guard does he'd fling that sucker over the backboard. With that said, they can be taught a motion that should work, but he he's going to have to settle on one and work on it. That short arm action he's using now is simply problematic. I'm surprised that his pre-college coaches weren't able to get him further along.

Alex has been bad at the line the three games I've seen so far. He seemed to settle down and make his last FTs last night. He improved a lot late last season. I'm sure he'll get back to that and will be good enough not to hurt us at the line.

Tyler has been pretty good at the line and simply needs consistency.

Now the bad FT shooting wasn't just the big guys. Poor FT shooting can be contagious at times, but I think this team will steadily improve at the line as the season goes on. Bazz, Lamb and Daniels should be strong from the line. I think Tyler, Roscoe and Giffey will be solid as well.

It's AD who concerns me. He could easily be south of 40% and teams with depth in the post are going to hack him, especially late in games. As good as that strategy sounds, teams will have to be careful not to get UConn into the bonus too quickly. If that happens, expect JC to attack the pain with our guards and wings getting our shooters to the line. It's late in close games where JC will have some tough decisions when to put AD in and when to take him out. We're going to see JC do a lot of offense (AD Out)/defense (AD In) substituting late in close games until Andre shows he can make some FTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom