Free throws: 23 to 6. 'Nuff said. So sad. | The Boneyard

Free throws: 23 to 6. 'Nuff said. So sad.

Reaction Score
Uconn could have put ND on it's heels if they were the aggressor and ND got in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
One way to overcome it would be to stop settling for soft jumpers and finesse plays and drive to the rim with commitment, thereby drawing your own fouls.
Think about it.
Exactly. Tonight we were not willing or able to drive effectively to the hoop. Though Pheesa played better than in last year's semi-final, on a couple of occasions she had a winning play strong to the hoop, and she inexplicably elected to kick it out for either a direct turnover or a far inferior shot. Z would get the ball down low, but instead of going straight up, she would put it to the floor in a failed attempt to incrementally improve her position.

So when you're not going aggressively and confidently to the rim (like Notre Dame did throughout the game) what do you do? Obviously you mount a concerted effort to get the ball to your perimeter sharp shooters so they can knock down threes. Except the Huskies didn't really try that either. So what's left? More mindless and energy sapping passing and running around the perimeter all possession long ,with no real plan on how to finish. And that's pretty much what they did all game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, all great theories. The problem is, the refs didn't call the fouls when they DID drive. After a while, the kids stopped driving because of THAT. We have seen this before. We didn't fail to draw fouls because we wouldn't drive. We wouldn't drive because we weren't drawing fouls! It amazes me how many people refuse to see that.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice, I believe it was Nelson, when a charge was called on Lou (baseline), and Nelosn's left foot was half in and half out of bounds.

EDIT: Added image

upload_2018-3-31_8-0-42.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, all great theories. The problem is, the refs didn't call the fouls when they DID drive. After a while, the kids stopped driving because of THAT. We have seen this before. We didn't fail to draw fouls because we wouldn't drive. We wouldn't drive because we weren't drawing fouls! It amazes me how many people refuse to see that.
I've learned not to mention officiating on this board as you will be POO POOED !

Reaction Score
hard to overcome such a difference in foul shots....
Tried and true Muffet game plan - try to draw fouls on UConn and get to the line as much as possible. And when they get to the line, they don't miss.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Tonight we were not willing or able to drive effectively to the hoop. Though Pheesa played better than in last year's semi-final, on a couple of occasions she had a winning play strong to the hoop, and she inexplicably elected to kick it out for either a direct turnover or a far inferior shot. Z would get the ball down low, but instead of going straight up, she would put it to the floor in a failed attempt to incrementally improve her position.

So when you're not going aggressively and confidently to the rim (like Notre Dame did throughout the game) what do you do? Obviously you mount a concerted effort to get the ball to your perimeter sharp shooters so they can knock down threes. Except the Huskies didn't really try that either. So what's left? More mindless and energy sapping passing and running around the perimeter all possession long ,with no real plan on how to finish. And that's pretty much what they did all game.

This post picks on the 2 kids who played well on the offensive end. If you are focused on O, there are other players to discuss. I thought we lost the game due to poor defense and lack of poise at the end. The free throw differential was odd, considering there are more physical.

Reaction Score
Geno saw it, it's why he went apesh...it on the call against Azura, but when ND did the same thing against us no call or a call on the defender.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There at least 2 charges called on drives to basket in 4th quarter, both wiping out baskets. ND player drives throws out arm foul on UCONN, 3 fouls on Lou in 4th quarter including on drive and one where Young went past arms straight up foul on UCONN

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice, I believe it was Nelson, when a charge was called on Lou (baseline), and Nelosn's left foot was half in and half out of bounds.

View attachment 30292

Having a foot out of bounds would not be maintaining a legal guarding position under the NCAA rules which specifically states that the defender "cannot have either foot out of bounds." That was a clear miss by the official. Oh well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

View attachment 30292
Yeah, I saw that when it happened. I screamed, “Someone who’s out of bounds can’t draw a foul!”. These are the same officials who determine whether a player is in the restricted zone.

Reaction Score
Remember that time Muffet whined about the foul call disparity when it was 16-4 or something like that in her post-game press conference? Bet she didn't do that last night!

Reaction Score

View attachment 30292
Plus, at the end of the play, the girls foot is at least a foot out of bounds and she is turned sideways. Next, the player will run down and stand out of bounds under the basket waiting for a player to run into her after a layup. Ridiculous.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Adding the restricted area and the stupid rules and caveats (primary defender vs. secondary defender) has got to be the stupidest and most controversial rule change ever. A charge (or block) should be the same no matter what. Just because the Not Basketball Anymore thought it up doesn't mean it is good for college. It isn't used in HS (YET).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One way to overcome it would be to stop settling for soft jumpers and finesse plays and drive to the rim with commitment, thereby drawing your own fouls.
Think about it.
UConn got fouled plenty of times as it was. But thanks for the mansplaining.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Having a foot out of bounds would not be maintaining a legal guarding position under the NCAA rules which specifically states that the defender "cannot have either foot out of bounds." That was a clear miss by the official. Oh well.

UConn was up 8 when that call was made.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This post picks on the 2 kids who played well on the offensive end. If you are focused on O, there are other players to discuss. I thought we lost the game due to poor defense and lack of poise at the end. The free throw differential was odd, considering there are more physical.

Right. There were some 4th quarter turnovers which were just inexplicable. I'd add rebounding and not winning 50-50 balls. Although UConn out-rebounded Notre Dame there were key defensive rebounds in the 2nd half that UConn couldn't seem to grab and Young was able to convert to points. ND players also seemed more alert at the end in getting to loose balls. ND made its share of mistakes too but made the biggest shot.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Do you really think that a player will not drive because : if they get fouled, the refs will not call it?

Reaction Score
The missed shots, the uncharateristically bad passes that resulted in turnovers, the surprising defensive lapses...none of those contributed to this loss. Nah, it was all on the refs, and their obvious anti-UConn bias. (That’s my best impression of a typical ND fan after one of their losses. So proud that so many on our Board wish to emulate them!)

Reaction Score
KLS and Danger passes were way off target. Kia was choking on bunnies. Collier lost a little confidence after getting knocked to the floor a couple times on her shot with no calls and threw the ball away at the end. Refs decided Uconn winning was bad for the game and did something about it.

Reaction Score
UConn got fouled plenty of times as it was. But thanks for the mansplaining.
I remember once a man came to my house and asked if he could look in my woods for a bear, which he desperately wanted to see. I walked with him for a long time. We passed a deer bounding, then a badger digging, then a wolf loping along a ridge. Right before we got back, we saw some movement on a far away hill, behind some bushes. We lit a fire in the stove and drank some coffee. He told me about the bear he saw on the hill. When I asked him about the deer and the badger and the wolf, he told me he had not seen them.

If you watch the final four minutes of regulation and all of overtime what you'll see is UConn being out-fundamentaled the entire time. We gave up several easy looks and one uncontested layup. We gave up several offensive rebounds at critical times. We took several inefficient shots. We played tight and scattered. They played loose and concerted.
Blaming the refs for a loss like last night is just homerism at its worst.

You want to talk about refereeing? How about Nurse taking at least 5, and maybe 6, steps after the steal after she picked up her dribble - like she nervously forgot how to execute a layup. It was a blatant travel that would have been inarguable had it been called. The referees gifted us those 2 points, which you'll recall tied the game and forced overtime.

Some people wear homer goggles.
Some people have a procedure done to surgically implant Husky Blue lenses in their eyes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom