Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fouls
UCONN 13
Georgetown 27

Free Throws
UCONN 29-36
Georgetown 7-8

A 22 point difference in free throws, that's the ball game.

Reaction Score
They had a real commitment to going inside. That always makes a real difference.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Fouls
UCONN 13
Georgetown 27

Free Throws
UCONN 29-36
Georgetown 7-8

Foul differential was a huge factor, but not too far behind was the turnover advantage (+5) and rebounding (+1) against a bigger team.

We may not have shot well, but we didn't beat ourselves either, which is a great sign!

Reaction Score
That goes hand in hand with taking 31 threes out of 59 FG (with a good number of deep twos mixed in there as well).

Trying to think of a play where Gtown was complaining about a foul they didn't get. Only one I can think of was a wild fast break layup attempt where we more or less backed off and I thought it was a good no call - which turned into a Hoyas three off the offensive rebound anyway. The charges we got were pretty clear charges. We only blocked 3 shots - one of which was the very shot of the game, so there weren't a lot of contested shots in the paint that you could argue about. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

At the other end, maybe we were fortunate a couple times. Gibbs got a bit of a break when he got a touch foul when he missed a putback, but we had the next offensive rebound anyway. The other ones Gibbs had were mostly when he did a good job drawing them on the drive. Hamilton earned all five of his when guys landed on him. Nolan earned his two when a guy tried to run through the screen and not around it. Miller was undercut when he earned most of his. But we maybe caught a break with the tight whistle early in the 2H which got us in the bonus quickly. If the tables were turned, I'm sure I would have been annoyed at the foul count escalating quickly.

Reaction Score
Fouls
UCONN 13
Georgetown 27

Free Throws
UCONN 29-36
Georgetown 7-8

If BE teams would stop sucking so bad, maybe then you wouldn't foul

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeahhh you suck! I'm an interwebs king!

Sigh...I'm not Georgetown. I didn't foul anyone.

Your mother is calling you

Gtown simply did nothing to draw fouls
To be honest this stat is an anomaly in UConn basketball

Reaction Score
I appreciate that we drove it and they chucked 3's but if we were on the other end of this playing away our screens would be on fire right now calling for the refs heads. Thrilled with this win but we made 4 baskets in the second half. We've had our own share of lopsided reffing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Loser's lament. Better team won.
2) It was the latest bit of evidence that JTIII ain't a rocket scientist.

You're playing a team that is notable for sending the opponent to the free throw line...so you ignore that and hoist up an ungodly amount of threes.

C+ effort from UConn, but good enough.

Grown isn't particularly good, but they're in second place in the Big East, so it's a good enough entry on the resume.

Reaction Score
Grown isn't particularly good, but they're in second place in the Big East, so it's a good enough entry on the resume.

I think that's probably temporary. They did beat X getting hot from three, but their other four wins are Depaul twice, SJU, and Marquette. They will slide back shortly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that's probably temporary. They did beat X getting hot from three, but their other four wins are Depaul twice, SJU, and Marquette. They will slide back shortly.
Considering the level of insight you've shown on this board, there's a good chance they win the league. They did play UConn pretty tough.

Reaction Score
Considering the level of insight you've shown on this board, there's a good chance they win the league. They did play UConn pretty tough.

Well you've sold me...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know.

They just kicked Xavier's ass on the road and hung in with the only truly good team in the conference against Nova. UConn was down a starter, but they didn't disgrace themselves in losing today.

Everyone was pretending Butler was good, but after losing tonight to a marginal Creighton group, they're 13-6 and 2-5 in conference - Georgetown is better than they are, so they just might be the second or third best team in conference.

Reaction Score
I appreciate that we drove it and they chucked 3's but if we were on the other end of this playing away our screens would be on fire right now calling for the refs heads. Thrilled with this win but we made 4 baskets in the second half. We've had our own share of lopsided reffing.
I remember games where UConn could get the field goals but missed the foul shots--and lost. That this team could win despite an icy cold spell says a lot for their determination and discipline. They did what they needed to do to win, and today it was to draw fouls and make the free throws.

Reaction Score
Fouls
UCONN 13
Georgetown 27

Free Throws
UCONN 29-36
Georgetown 7-8

We played probably our worst offensive half of the year and still beat your Big Least team. Cry about it somewhere else.

Reaction Score
We played probably our worst offensive half of the year and still beat your Big Least team. Cry about it somewhere else.

Not sure where I cried about anything. It's a statistic.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
another trend changing in the last 3 games, a very good thing

Reaction Score
Not sure where I cried about anything. It's a statistic.
Instead of coming here on a Saturday night you should worry about your own team being a 13 point underdog today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom