Free throw disparity | The Boneyard

Free throw disparity

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
How does a team that dominates the boards, owns the paint, shoots far fewer threes

Get destroyed on the free throw line? This is the polar opposite of what basketball is supposed to be

Are we still paying for Calhoun's ownership of the sidelines?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How does a team that dominates the boards, owns the paint, shoots far fewer threes

Get destroyed on the free throw line? This is the polar opposite of what basketball is supposed to be

Yeah especially when Georgetown took so many more 3s too. It’s not like we weren’t attacking.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We put every team in the bonus at the 12 minute mark of every half. Also, Cole and Bouk are the only ones who drive and get to the lane. We keep Sanago and Whaley away from the basket half the game so there's no chance of them getting fouled

Reaction Score
We foul. A lot.

the high hedge is causing too many fouls. Players get out of position, the bigs commit too many fouls 30 feet away from the basket, and players are switching and running at at the offense out of control. Not every foul is caused by this defensive scheme but it is a contributing factor to the early bonus opportunities we provide other teams. I’d like to know our +/- when we do this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
the high hedge is causing too many fouls. Players get out of position, the bigs commit too many fouls 30 feet away from the basket, and players are switching and running at at the offense out of control. Not every foul is caused by this defensive scheme but it is a contributing factor to the early bonus opportunities we provide other teams. I’d like to know our +/- when we do this.

How often does the hedge actually work? Our best case is the opposing point guard not passing to his center who is wide open in the middle of the paint. It is a strategy with a lot of downside and no upside, and every opposing coach goes right at it with their offensive sets. Why does Hurley do it?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
How often does the hedge actually work? Our best case is the opposing point guard not passing to his center who is wide open in the middle of the paint. It is a strategy with a lot of downside and no upside, and every opposing coach goes right at it with their offensive sets. Why does Hurley do it?
Because we're the best defensive team in the conference?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The disparity was mostly because of Wahab.

He had 12 of G'towns 21 FT attempts.

UConn's three bigs- Whaley, Sanogo and Carlton had 11 of UConn's 20 PF's.

Take those two stats away and UConn committed 9 fouls and Gtown shot 9 FT's. That is about right.

G'town, coached by a classic back to the basket post player, and having a massive, back to the basket center, got Wahab the ball down low where he could do damage. He made 8 of 12 FT's which is the equivalency of shooting 4-6 from the field. Based on where Wahab was when UConn fouled him there wasn't much difference between fouling him or just letting him get the FG.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I hate to be that guy, but it feels like "welcome to the Big East". Because I am not seeing our team commit more fouls than those we play. Last night we got called for touch fouls and they got away with hard body fouls with no calls. It seems like that happens every game. Maybe it's just how the Big East refs call games.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I hate to be that guy, but it feels like "welcome to the Big East". Because I am not seeing our team commit more fouls than those we play. Last night we got called for touch fouls and they got away with hard body fouls with no calls. It seems like that happens every game. Maybe it's just how the Big East refs call games.
I thought it was consistently bad on both sides. Once the ball hit the paint it was an automatic whistle. It just so happened to play into Gtown's favor given their style of play through the post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought it was consistently bad on both sides. Once the ball hit the paint it was an automatic whistle. It just so happened to play into Gtown's favor given their style of play through the post.

I thought we fed the paint consistently. Sanogo, Whaley, Josh. The all got slapped and hacked and not called. Martin drove into the lane late, took a full hockey check hit, made the shot with no "and 1". That said, I completely agree that Georgetown used our dumb hedge to get Wahab behind the center every time and we were late and fouled him.

Reaction Score
I thought we fed the paint consistently. Sanogo, Whaley, Josh. The all got slapped and hacked and not called. Martin drove into the lane late, took a full hockey check hit, made the shot with no "and 1". That said, I completely agree that Georgetown used our dumb hedge to get Wahab behind the center every time and we were late and fouled him.
Wahab drawing a ton of fouls messed with Sanogo and Whaley’s rhythm. Both started the game strong, but got in foul trouble and faded away.

Whaley was finally taking shots at the rim too. Hope that continues. I’ll take 7 PTS/7 REB/2 BLK from him if he’s shooting 50%+

Reaction Score
For some teams and certain situations, the high hedge works great. Georgetown had a solid plan to exploit this defense. The forward dove to the hoop early in the screen, and the guard looked to pass it in as soon as he could. If the pass got there, there was an open look or mismatch with a helpside defender or recovering big. Thats how Jackson got 1 of his 2 first half fouls. Or, the guard just stepped in to take some body contact with the hedging big. As you pointed out this got Sanogo a few times.

As much as Hurley likes this defense, I think it needs to be more situational. Throw it in when the matchup works or to add a wrinkle and make the opponent react. Whaley is our only big with the quickness to execute it consistently.

Reaction Score

I got one better..........”how does arguably the best shooting guard in the country who gets beat up every game by one, two, and sometimes three defenders not draw ANY touch or bump fouls from the refs? Or doesn’t draw any fouls after scoring, said player ends up on the floor?”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We put every team in the bonus at the 12 minute mark of every half. Also, Cole and Bouk are the only ones who drive and get to the lane. We keep Sanago and Whaley away from the basket half the game so there's no chance of them getting fouled
Seemed like in the first half we were rebounding well but well then there were a lot of rebounds as both teams shot poorly! Georgetown was more aggressive getting ball down low, either scoring or going to the foul line. In our offensive efforts, we didn't aggressively go to the rim thus fewer times to the line. At one point in the first half we had 9 fouls, they had 2. Santogo seems to step away from the hoop to shoot and passes up a strong effort to the rim that might result in fouls. Hope the coaches are working on him to go strong right up to the rim. He also needs to watch the ball come into his hands. Most of our bigs fumble first. Overall a great defensive effort and high energy throughout.

Reaction Score
Just when I thought everything was said about our nonsensical defensive strategy, there's more.

If Hurley doesn't relent to the significant Boneyard pressure, he's just being stubborn.

Reaction Score
Our bigs never head fake. When is the last time you saw an opposing big man leave his feet? Our big guys leave their feet all the time.

Plus that hard hedge 30 feet from the basket leads to a bunch of silly fouls every game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our bigs never head fake. When is the last time you saw an opposing big man leave his feet? Our big guys leave their feet all the time.

Plus that hard hedge 30 feet from the basket leads to a bunch of silly fouls every game.

Eh. Sanogo is good with fakes and hedges. He had a few last night that got him a better, cleaner look at the rim and his finished it off.
Carlton and Whaley? Not so much. Last thing I want them doing is thinking once they catch the ball. They're much more effective when they catch and do from muscle memory.

Reaction Score
This, also the fact that Wahab was able to get phenomenal post position and our bigs were constantly scrambling to get back and guard him off the hedges led to a decent chunk of the fouls. The refs were pretty bad and inconsistent across the board but we also just fouled more.

Reaction Score
Eh. Sanogo is good with fakes and hedges. He had a few last night that got him a better, cleaner look at the rim and his finished it off.
Carlton and Whaley? Not so much. Last thing I want them doing is thinking once they catch the ball. They're much more effective when they catch and do from muscle memory.
Sanogo showed excellent patience with the ball under the basket. He uses his feet to create space. If his hands improve slightly he will be a MONSTER.

A little shoulder shake or head fake would get Josh or Isaiah to the line more often. But it doesn't seem a part of their skill set.

Reaction Score
At the 0:30 second mark is the Dan Issel head fake. It put a million defenders in the paratrooper club and Dan into the Hall of Fame. It seems like nothing and works almost all the time. Issel is quoted as saying he couldn't believe it worked.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, lightening quick, reflexive head fake from Issel.

Example of good muscle memory. Not thinking too much about it as @Palatine wrote.

I would think the skill could be developed by coaching and practice.

Thing is that Carlton and Whaley have to catch the ball first. Carlton's hands have not always been that reliable, so the co-ordination between the catch and fake has to be there. I think Whaley has pretty good hands, but I ahve not paid that much attention to it.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
They definitely need to work on drawing more fouls, but to do so they need to drive the paint more.

Reaction Score
For last night, I thought Bouk and Cole got tough whistles compared to how everyone else was officiated. A lot of bumps on drives and Bouk in the air weren't called.

In general, Bouk is awesome at drawing fouls. His change of pace and explosion are great. It's the best part of his game.

Everyone else not so much. Sanogo's baby hook doesn't draw fouls. He draws a really unremarkable number of fouls for a big who scores a decent number of points.

We don't get Whaley in position to draw fouls very often. Just a feature of our offense and playing a good chunk of his minutes next to another big who gets the post looks instead of him.

Martin is pretty good at drawing fouls, but he's the 4th option on offense right now. Gaffney is also decent at it when he attacks, but he attacks so infrequently so as to make it moot.

Cole tries, but at his size he gets swallowed up sometimes and so the opponent doesn't need to foul him. He has a nice ability to draw fouls in transition.

Jackson hasn't learned to do it yet. He's still trying to use his athleticism to avoid fouls instead of drawing them.

Polley has never been good at drawing fouls (which is understandable for essentially a straight jump shooter).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom