Fred Williams likely out as reported on halftime ESPN2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fred Williams likely out as reported on halftime ESPN2

Reaction Score
Liz has stated herself that her on court demeanor and behavior is markedly different from her "real" personality. In an interview from (I think) last year, she stated "On the court I am a horrible person...". Once the game is over, "I'm everyone's best friend again."
Yeah, like the time she was "off the court" at a rock festival while the rest of the Aussie National Team was starting their Olympic training camp...

Australia dumps Cambage for attending rock festival

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Why do you dislike the Aces? A'ja Wilson seems to be a great baller and a real good person. Moriah...how can you dislike her? Is it the coach? Is it Plum? Is it McBride? Hamby? Alright, I'm starting to see your point. But I would like to know why you don't like them.
Lack of intestinal fortitude and professionalism when they refused to play. Plus I am not a fan of Wilson.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think it's OK for Saniya to sit out the rest of the season and rest for her overseas team where she makes most of her money. Wish I could see her play then though.

I doubt we'll see Chong in the WNBA again. Several teams had vacancies during the season and could have brought her in. She played well last year, but her production and effectiveness declined quickly this season which led to her being waived 14 days into the season, replaced by Leticia Romero on May 31.

Chong was on the end of the bench at the beginning of the season. She played a team low 3 minutes on opening day against the Mercury. She had an outstanding season overseas during the winter, but like Kiah Stokes, was not able to bring that success back to the U.S. with her this spring. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
Liz has stated herself that her on court demeanor and behavior is markedly different from her "real" personality. In an interview from (I think) last year, she stated "On the court I am a horrible person...". Once the game is over, "I'm everyone's best friend again."

That's nice, but games are won on the court.....................grow up Liz. Be an asset to your team while you're on the court, not a liability. It's not all about YOU!!! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I doubt we'll see Chong in the WNBA again. Several teams had vacancies during the season and could have brought her in. She played well last year, but her production and effectiveness declined quickly this season which led to her being waived 14 days into the season, replaced by Leticia Romero on May 31.

Chong was on the end of the bench at the beginning of the season. She played a team low 3 minutes on opening day against the Mercury. She had an outstanding season overseas during the winter, but like Kiah Stokes, was not able to bring that success back to the U.S. with her this spring. :(

If she plays international ball again and excels, I imagine she may get an invite and it is up to her to impress. She is not the first to have to claw their way back into the league.

One thing that has always worked against her and Kia Stokes as well is that imho they never had that cut throat confidence that I belong.

I think Kia Nurse has that in abundance and Gabby is on the border of that mindset.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If she plays international ball again and excels, I imagine she may get an invite and it is up to her to impress. She is not the first to have to claw their way back into the league.

One thing that has always worked against her and Kia Stokes as well is that imho they never had that cut throat confidence that I belong.

I think Kia Nurse has that in abundance and Gabby is on the border of that mindset.

I would love to see Saniya return to the league, I just don't think it will happen. I agree 100% with your "cut throat" confidence observation. That particular trait does not appear to be in their DNA. If it were, no doubt it would serve them well. That said, I remain a fan of them both.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You can remove the "likely" out of the headline of this thread. Taj McWilliams-Franklin has been named interim coach the remainder of the season effective immediately. That profanity laced altercation with President and CEO Greg Bibb, was one Williams could not win. You don't get to cuss out the boss and keep your job. :mad: It appears that Williams not only lost Bibb's confidence and support, it's also is likely there were philosopical differences as well. Williams is a respected veteran coach with over 30 years of experience that will no doubt surface somewhere again soon.

Their game with the Aces in Las Vegas on Friday will determine who gets that final playoff spot. The Wings will lose Tuesday on the road against the Sun, falling back to the Aces at 14-18. The Aces will beat the Liberty on Wednesday (15th), and go up by 1 game at 15-18. The Aces must win Friday's game.
The Dream have won the first two games they've played against the Aces this season. The Aces have failed to cash in several opportunities to win games this season that they lost.

With 3 games left, they can still make the playoffs. Neither team should win their last game. The Aces host the Dream, the Wings travel to Seattle. With Angel McCoughtry unavailable for that game, the Aces may have a puncher's chance to win that game.

The players won't play any harder fot Taj than they did for Williams. As HuskyFan 1125 said, "IMO this isn’t just on Fred Williams. There has been some trouble under the water for some time particularly with leadership and executives". The players had a large part in the team's underachievement this year. There's some turmoil going on behind closed doors that they have managed to keep on the down low.

They've already indicated they will begin a search for a new HC immediately at the end of the season. I also suspect that players that can't/don't get along with other players, or can't/won't buy in to the Wings' overall team philosophy will not be on the team's opening day roster next year.

In other news -
  • Veteran Lynx guard Lindsey Whalen announces her retirement at the end of this season.
  • Atlanta Dream sign Adaora Elonu (TA&M) to a 7 day contract due to Angel McCoughtry's season ending injury.

I believe I had that. The Wings (14-18) lost by 20, 96-76 to the Sun. They are now a half game ahead of the Aces (13-18) with 2 games to play. The Aces have 3 games left. The Aces will beat NY tomorrow in LV, tying the Wings at 14-18. NY will be playing a back to back against LV, having played the Sparks the night before in LA.

Setting the stage for their critical match up Friday in Dallas for what could decide who advances to the post-season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Vegas wins out, they get to 16-18, and Dallas can’t be better than 15-19. So Vegas gets in if they win 3 or win 2 combined with 2 Dallas losses. I think.

Reaction Score
If Vegas wins out, they get to 16-18, and Dallas can’t be better than 15-19. So Vegas gets in if they win 3 or win 2 combined with 2 Dallas losses. I think.
What if the teams both finish 15-19? Who gets in?

Reaction Score
Good self awareness. Least she knows.

Reaction Score
That observation definitely has merit.
I fall into this category after the forfeit by the Aces. Bummer too because I really liked watching them. Don't have that underdog fever for them anymore. Understand why they didn't show up but no interest in them like I did. I was really into that team.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Go to the WNBA website and look for the playoff format. It explains all of the tie- breakers in great detail. I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say Dallas.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

If they finish tied, the Wings go -- they've won 3 against the Aces.

With LVA's win last night, they're tied. Assuming the Wings lose to Seattle and the Aces to Atlanta on the last day of the season, it comes down to the Wings-Aces game tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
If the Wings beat the Aces tomorrow, the Wings are in the playoffs.

If the Aces beat the Wings tomorrow, they still haven’t clinched the playoffs. It all comes down to the results on the final day of the season.

Final games
Dallas @ Seattle - Looks ominous for Dallas, right? But Seattle might have the #1 seed locked up by then and have no great incentive to win (other than making the home crowd happy). If the #1 seed is locked up for Seattle, I would expect Bird to sit out and the other starters to be kept under 20 min maybe. But who knows, maybe Seattle will put in enough effort to win it for the home crowd, but can you imagine the reaction if a main cog went down with an injury in a meaningless game?

Dream @ Aces - Same kind of scenario here. Will the Dream have #2 seed locked up or will they still be fighting for it? Could make a big difference in the outcome. Could the Aces beat the hottest team in the WNBA if the Dream have incentive to win this game?

Carnac

Reaction Score
If the Wings beat the Aces tomorrow, the Wings are in the playoffs.

If the Aces beat the Wings tomorrow, they still haven’t clinched the playoffs. It all comes down to the results on the final day of the season.

Final games
Dallas @ Seattle - Looks ominous for Dallas, right? But Seattle might have the #1 seed locked up by then and have no great incentive to win (other than making the home crowd happy). If the #1 seed is locked up for Seattle, I would expect Bird to sit out and the other starters to be kept under 20 min maybe. But who knows, maybe Seattle will put in enough effort to win it for the home crowd, but can you imagine the reaction if a main cog went down with an injury in a meaningless game?

Dream @ Aces - Same kind of scenario here. Will the Dream have #2 seed locked up or will they still be fighting for it? Could make a big difference in the outcome. Could the Aces beat the hottest team in the WNBA if the Dream have incentive to win this game?

The Dream's leading scorer, Angel McCoughtry is out for the season. They come into that road game at less that full strength. Don't count your chickens just yet. The only other player that might be able to carry the team in this game is Tiffany Hayes. I like the Aces in this one. The dream are already in the playoffs, this game means nothing to them. The BIGGEST game of the season for the ACES is tomorrow night in Dallas. That game is a MUST win. Between losing their beloved head coach, and the internal turmoil and chemistry issues the Wings are dealing with, my $$$ is on the Aces to leave Dallas smiling and grinning with a W. :)

Reaction Score
The Dream's leading scorer, Angel McCoughtry is out for the season. They come into that road game at less that full strength. Don't count your chickens just yet. The only other player that might be able to carry the team in this game is Tiffany Hayes. I like the Aces in this one. The dream are already in the playoffs, this game means nothing to them. The BIGGEST game of the season for the ACES is tomorrow night in Dallas. That game is a MUST win. Between losing their beloved head coach, and the internal turmoil and chemistry issues the Wings are dealing with, my $$$ is on the Aces to leave Dallas smiling and grinning with a W. :)
If it comes down to Sunday I wouldn't think Seattle would rest anyone. Think about it, would you rather have Dallas in the playoffs or the Aces. Wings have the talent to go far and cause some upsets. I wouldn't want to face Cambage in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
The dream are already in the playoffs, this game means nothing to them.

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. The difference between the #2 seed and the #3 seed is huge. The top 2 seeds are automatically in the semifinals (double bye). If the Dream are still fighting to hold onto the #2 seed on the last day of the season, you can be sure it’s going to be important to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom