Fred Hoiberg is in MY house this time... | The Boneyard

Fred Hoiberg is in MY house this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was 1995. I was stuck in Waverly, IA over a weekend for work. It just so happened that this was the weekend that UCONN had achieved its first #1 ranking, and was headed to Kansas for an epic matchup.

So I checked the listings, and the local CBS affiliate wasn't going to carry the game. So I called a couple of sports bars, and they all told me they were only going to carry the Iowa game. I figured that we were close enough to Kansas that it would be on (or at least they would turn one TV on for me), but no.

So I got in the car and drove 2-3 hours to Ames where they had another affiliate. Found a sports bar, and settled in. I'm head to toe in UCONN gear, the JW Black Label is going down smooth, the wings were pretty good and the game starts.

And UCONN is getting killed from the outset. So that sucks. But what sucks worse is that ISU had a noon game, and about halftime of the UCONN/KU game, into the bar walks the entire ISU team, including Fred Hoiberg and The Mayor (Loren Meyer). So as UCONN loses by 29, I have to endure heckling from the ISU team on top of just being embarrassed that we were getting our a**es kicked. Now it was good natured heckling, but that is one of those days that is etched into my mind. And since that day, Fred Hoiberg is like "Newman" to me...and our last NCAA meeting didn't make it any better.

Later that year I took a job in NYC, and now ISU is in MY house. It's PAYBACK time. My turn to do some heckling.

Reaction Score
It was 1995. I was stuck in Waverly, IA over a weekend for work. It just so happened that this was the weekend that UCONN had achieved its first #1 ranking, and was headed to Kansas for an epic matchup.

So I checked the listings, and the local CBS affiliate wasn't going to carry the game. So I called a couple of sports bars, and they all told me they were only going to carry the Iowa game. I figured that we were close enough to Kansas that it would be on (or at least they would turn one TV on for me), but no.

So I got in the car and drove 2-3 hours to Ames where they had another affiliate. Found a sports bar, and settled in. I'm head to toe in UCONN gear, the JW Black Label is going down smooth, the wings were pretty good and the game starts.

And UCONN is getting killed from the outset. So that sucks. But what sucks worse is that ISU had a noon game, and about halftime of the UCONN/KU game, into the bar walks the entire ISU team, including Fred Hoiberg and The Mayor (Loren Meyer). So as UCONN loses by 29, I have to endure heckling from the ISU team on top of just being embarrassed that we were getting our a**es kicked. Now it was good natured heckling, but that is one of those days that is etched into my mind. And since that day, Fred Hoiberg is like "Newman" to me...and our last NCAA meeting didn't make it any better.

Later that year I took a job in NYC, and now ISU is in MY house. It's PAYBACK time. My turn to do some heckling.

MOJO baby!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
http://www.rockchalk.com/games/g199517.

And who fouled out in that game? Kevin Ollie.

I remember very early in that game KO got absolutely crushed by Ostertag on a screen near midcourt.

The entirety of the midwest will get overwhelmed by Manhattan (NY, not Kansas).

Reaction Score

I love it. Karma is a btch, Fred....and Senhor Shabazz is coming to get you.

GhostofBTT

Graduate of a real college. Boss of UConn grads.
Reaction Score

With all due respect sir, did you happen to suffer a serious blow to the head that day? That's the only way I could fathom that you drove from Waverly to Ames just to watch a basketball game. Cedar Falls, Iowa is 20 minutes away from Waverly, and has a larger population than Ames, as well as plenty of bars. Cedar Rapids is 70 miles from Waverly, and is the second largest city in Iowa, and the drive is almost all interstate. Iowa City is 90 miles from Waverly, and has more bars than an Irish airport. However, Ames is 120 miles from Waverly, takes two lane highways the entire way, and unlike Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids, is full of idiot Clown fans.

Sorry bruh, I'm no fan of Hoiberg, but this derp is all on you.

Reaction Score
All I know is that the people at the bars that I did talk to told me that I would have to go that far to get a CBS affiliate that would carry the game.

Remember there was no internet. All I had was a local phone book.

And btw - lol Hoiberg.

Reaction Score
Get me a MAYOR like Fred to bring off the bench for 3's. SOB just broke my bracket.

Reaction Score

And UCONN is getting killed from the outset. So that sucks. But what sucks worse is that ISU had a noon game, and about halftime of the UCONN/KU game, into the bar walks the entire ISU team, including The Mayor Fred Hoiberg and Loren Meyer. So as UCONN loses by 29, I have to endure heckling from the ISU team on top of just being embarrassed that we were getting our a**es kicked. Now it was good natured heckling, but that is one of those days that is etched into my mind. And since that day, Fred Hoiberg is like "Newman" to me...and our last NCAA meeting didn't make it any better.

Now it's time for Kansas to get it.

SHUT UP AND EAT THE MOJO SANDWICH, COMMIE!!!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We got destroyed in that 95 game and maybe there is something to @Chief00 first night theory because that was a Women's/Mens doubleheader in Kansas. A very rare event. We were so great that year, but that one game we actually looked like women.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We got destroyed in that 95 game and maybe there is something to @Chief00 first night theory because that was a Women's/Mens doubleheader in Kansas. A very rare event. We were so great that year, but that one game we actually looked like women.

You shut up now. Shut up and eat the MOJO SANDWICH, ya commie!

Editors note: this turkey sandwich lathered in what can only be described as red velvet is from the Iowa State fair. The mojo knows no bounds.

100_0472new.jpg

Reaction Score
Sadly I remember that game at Kemper all too vividly.....time for Kemper to DIE!!!!!!
City_asks_for_more_proposals_for_Kemper__2244620000_9582931_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Time for payback for getting knocked out of our first #1 ranking and for the game in Hartford two years later (when we lost Kirk King for good and Ricky Moore for a few games) .

PS....

Reaction Score
where the hell did this mojo sandwich thing come from and why does it feel so forced

Reaction Score
The taunts of overrated are still ringing in my ears over 20 years later from that game.
The only other butt kicking that came close to that as when Kittles and Nova went off on us..I believe tha was in Hartford which made it worse,

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The taunts of overrated are still ringing in my ears over 20 years later from that game.
The only other butt kicking that came close to that as when Kittles and Nova went off on us..I believe tha was in Hartford which made it worse,

The Kittles demolition was in Gampel.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
where the hell did this mojo sandwich thing come from and why does it feel so forced
August's disdain for ketchup and turkey from food threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom