Fraschilla on his way to Storrs. | The Boneyard

Fraschilla on his way to Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can he post any direct observations? When Rothstein sat in on a practice I don't think he was able to.

Reaction Score
Can he post any direct observations? When Rothstein sat in on a practice I don't think he was able to.

Rothstein posted plenty. It's the local beat guys who apparently aren't allowed to tweet during practice.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Rothstein tweeted observations like a fiend when he was there.

Reaction Score
franfraschilla Fran Fraschilla
I'm excited to see the defending national champions practice today. On my way to UConn to see Kevin Ollie and the Huskies.

--from his twitter.

Sweet. Hopefully he feeds us a Sunday dinner, I'm hungry to hear anything of substance coming from the practices.

By the way...has anyone else noticed that when the Hartford Courant does a story on, lets say Omar Calhoun, that the CT Post does one the same day or one day later. And vice-versa?

The local newspaper press seem have some undercover agreement where each reporter takes a turn writing a story, and everyone else plagiarizes it.

Reaction Score
Sweet. Hopefully he feeds us a Sunday dinner, I'm hungry to hear anything of substance coming from the practices.

By the way...has anyone else noticed that when the Hartford Courant does a story on, lets say Omar Calhoun, that the CT Post does one the same day or one day later. And vice-versa?

The local newspaper press seem have some undercover agreement where each reporter takes a turn writing a story, and everyone else plagiarizes it.
This happens because the media are allowed at practice, all at once, at very specific times (usually the day before a game) to watch practice and then get their quotes from players and coaches for their game day articles and whatever else they are working on.

The media are given three or four players sporadically after practice to speak with and get quotes. They all huddle around the player with their recorders going asking questions, so they all end up getting the same quotes, therefor, similar stories.

If a writer is doing a big feature or something they can request time alone with a specific player or coach so their story or quotes don't get scooped, but by and large the beat writers don't care about using the same quotes for their weekly stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This happens because the media are allowed at practice, all at once, at very specific times (usually the day before a game) to watch practice and then get their quotes from players and coaches for their game day articles and whatever else they are working on.

The media are given three or four players sporadically after practice to speak with and get quotes. They all huddle around the player with their recorders going asking questions, so they all end up getting the same quotes, therefor, similar stories.

There are some pretty simple ways to get some exclusive quotes, but most of the writers don't really care, or put any thought into that, unless they are writing a big feature article, then you can request time alone to speak with a specific player or coach so your story doesn't get scooped and so you have more time to get your info.

Even taking what you said into account, why is it that they all write about the same player when three or four are available? And not only do they write about the same player, but if you compare the articles side by side, the story line is the same and even some of the wording.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a coincidence. I think they know that people don't usually read more than one newspaper. So, they share the load where three of them take the day off and one writes, and they pass the finished article around. Then it's the next guy's turn.

Reaction Score
Even taking what you said into account, why is it that they all write about the same player when three or four are available? And not only do they write about the same player, but if you compare the articles side by side, the story line is the same and even some of the wording.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a coincidence. I think they know that people don't usually read more than one newspaper. So, they share the load where three of them take the day off and one writes, and they pass the finished article around. Then it's the next guy's turn.

if you watched Brimah's video interview with the new girl, who asked decent questions, there was nothing that you could put into an article. I wanted to rip my eyes out. I'm sure most interviews with the horde are like that. These are college kids and they usually don't have much to say. I'm sure these writers prep their articles about each player leading into a new season and then plug in some quotes they get during their media availability, which end up being the same quotes.

Reaction Score
franfraschilla Fran Fraschilla
UConn's Amida Brimah has legs that stretch from Storrs to Waterbury. Would hate to have to buy him pants. He's improving.

Reaction Score
Yes Brimah is going to be a stud because of his passion of being an athlete I like his work ethic mobility and energy on the court. Off the court guy seems likes he wants to get better wants to learn from other uconn greats and is loyal to the school hes all huskies

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

So not only are our beat writers lazy but they're in some sort of plagiarism conspiracy.
The guy before explained how this works. It's really not complicated. And there are only so many players and only so many ways to describe what's happening.

Reaction Score
The guy before explained how this works. It's really not complicated. And there are only so many players and only so many ways to describe what's happening.

I guess you're right, it's really not that complicated. Let me see if I got understand what you two are saying ...Only 4 players are made available to the press after a practice. So the beat writers have no choice but to pick out the same player, write the same story, and publish that same story in 4 different newspapers. Then..let's see, they go home for a week. Go up to Storrs. Repeat. You're right, that's not complicated to understand at all, thanks!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
But we don't have any players from Latvia for him to rave about.

Funny that you mentioned Latvia. My Great Grandfather was Born there.
I get weird reactions, when i tell people i am Latvian ;)

Reaction Score

My opinion; you don't get a lot of great quotes from players in these situations. Usually you end up getting one glaring storyline from a few good quotes from one player and/or a coach and everyone runs with it and ends up writing something very similar. At least that's the way it was when I was covering the team. I haven't kept up with the horde much lately, so it's possible some guys are sharing stories, but very similar articles were produced frequently just because of the scenario I mentioned above back in my day, not too long ago.

Reaction Score

Latvia??? Hello neighbor!!!
Try telling people you're Lithuanian, like me. Some people still think it's a religion.

Reaction Score
I guess you're right, it's really not that complicated. Let me see if I got understand what you two are saying ...Only 4 players are made available to the press after a practice. So the beat writers have no choice but to pick out the same player, write the same story, and publish that same story in 4 different newspapers. Then..let's see, they go home for a week. Go up to Storrs. Repeat. You're right, that's not complicated to understand at all, thanks!
It is pretty simple if you understand the process. Three or four players are made available, they trickle into the media room. First player comes in, everyone crowds around him with recorders, a few questions are asked. Next player comes in, everyone sees him come through, runs over to him, a bunch of questions are asked. Etc. they go with the best storyline.

Maybe a coach mentions that Amida is much better with his midrange shot, the horde ask Amida a few questions based on that, and boom, everyone uses the same quotes and the story pretty much writes itself. The beat writers dont care if their stories are similar. There is a bit of a different process if you are writing a big feature, or want to write something exclusive. You can request time with a specific player or coach for an important feature so others dont scoop your story.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Your theory is that in a tiny state with thousands of UConn fans that a years-long fraud has been perpetrated and it all hinges on the idea that no one, anywhere, would ever read more than one of the newspapers and catch on to this scheme. You're in a great position here.

Reaction Score
Your theory is that in a tiny state with thousands of UConn fans that a years-long fraud has been perpetrated and it all hinges on the idea that no one, anywhere, would ever read more than one of the newspapers and catch on to this scheme. You're in a great position here.
I really enjoyed this. Nice work.

Reaction Score
It is pretty simple if you understand the process. Three or four players are made available, they trickle into the media room. First player comes in, everyone crowds around him with recorders, a few questions are asked. Next player comes in, everyone sees him come through, runs over to him, a bunch of questions are asked. Etc. they go with the best storyline.

Maybe a coach mentions that Amida is much better with his midrange shot, the horde ask Amida a few questions based on that, and boom, everyone uses the same quotes and the story pretty much writes itself. The beat writers dont care if their stories are similar. There is a bit of a different process if you are writing a big feature, or want to write something exclusive. You can request time with a specific player or coach for an important feature so others dont scoop your story.

Thanks, I appreciate your replies. I learned something, so again, thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, are you Dr. Doom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC