Franscesa On Uconn | The Boneyard

Franscesa On Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody catch it yesterday during the 5 PM hour. I heard the last 30 seconds when he said we were loaded, then they talked briefly about Iona and Fairfield. Anyone in the Fairfield area want to meet up and go to a couple of games this year? They should be pretty good.

Reaction Score
It was more of John Minko telling him everything he needed to know about St. Johns because Mike Francessa knows absolutely nothing about college basketball. They went on for 20 minutes about God's Gift and his name.

Reaction Score
Heard most of it while driving up to the game. It was mostly St Johns talk then Minko said Uconn was probably the best team in the BE and Mike just went with it. Francesa did have a lot of praise for Lamb saying he will be a 10 year starter in the NBA.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fairfield is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the maac this year. they have ok size and some quick guards. iona will be the team to watch. alot coming back plus the az kid. they have a wing there that fills the bucket up and could play anywhere if i remember correctly.

Reaction Score
fairfield is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the maac this year. they have ok size and some quick guards. iona will be the team to watch. alot coming back plus the az kid. they have a wing there that fills the bucket up and could play anywhere if i remember correctly.
I have Iona penciled in as my pre-season #16 or #17 team. I don't see a game on their schedule they shouldn't win. Temple? Purdue? They play them in San Juan. This teams final record is going to be outrageous. The contingency of NYC guards + Glover on this team have the ability to take down anyone on any given night. I finished my BaldDome BlueDogHouse Top 25. :D

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't trust Cluess not to screw that Iona team up at some point and drop a few of those winnable games. Guy is his own worst enemy. He put on a clinic in the MAAC Final of how not to coach when your team is the better one on paper. Bad on matchups, worse on in-game adjustments. But he's still done a good job of taking them from absolute crap to being a good team.

I just wonder how he could build such a good team and coach it so poorly in late/close situations (MAAC Title Game, CBI Title Game).

Reaction Score
It was more of John Minko telling him everything he needed to know about St. Johns because Mike Francessa knows absolutely nothing about college basketball. They went on for 20 minutes about God's Gift and his name.
Francesca made his bones in college basketball when he predicted early on that Seton Hall would be national champs in the 80's and it almost happened as the Hall lost in the final 4. At the time he was considered an expert on college basketball. Since that time he has concentrated on pro sports and that isn't surprising since the NY metro market is a strong pro market and a weak college market. Still, his lack of college basketball knowledge is sometimes a bit shocking.

Reaction Score
I like when during a call in he continues to make his point 30 seconds after he has deep sixed the caller. He hardly ever loses a debate.

Reaction Score
I like when during a call in he continues to make his point 30 seconds after he has deep sixed the caller. He hardly ever loses a debate.
The shut off switch is used regularly by talk show hosts usually when the caller talks over the host, the relevant stuff becomes redundant or for any reason as determined by the host. But you are right, talk show hosts win all the debates because they have the last word.
As a Sox and Packers fan (since 1960) I think I'm pretty objective about Fransesca's bias favoring the Yankees and Giants. He alomost never has anything good to say about the Jets and Mets.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When the Mets suck like they do now, he'll say some nice things. But when they're on the cusp of being good and taking some airtime from the Yankees? That's when the gloves come off.

Reaction Score
Francesca made his bones in college basketball when he predicted early on that Seton Hall would be national champs in the 80's and it almost happened as the Hall lost in the final 4. At the time he was considered an expert on college basketball. Since that time he has concentrated on pro sports and that isn't surprising since the NY metro market is a strong pro market and a weak college market. Still, his lack of college basketball knowledge is sometimes a bit shocking.
I believe Francessa predicted, early on, that SHU would make -4. Don Imus told him he would give Mike a Porsche if SHU made -4.
I don't think Mike ever got that Porsche, but the two got tremendous mileage out of that. Francessa was just on his way up. Imus was considered over the hill. This "bet" was a boost for both of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom