Men - Frank Mozzicato tops this year's Top 20 prospects list of players with Connecticut ties (Borges) | The Boneyard

Men Frank Mozzicato tops this year's Top 20 prospects list of players with Connecticut ties (Borges)

Reaction Score

UConn mentions:

3. Tim Cate, LHP, Manchester/UConn, Double-A, Nationals: Lefty has really struggled in his first season at Double-A Harrisburg (2-9, 5.99 ERA), but held his own against Chris Sale in one start and remains the Nats’ No. 15 overall prospect, per Baseball America.

5. Jacob Wallace, RHP, UConn, High-A, Red Sox: It’s been a struggle most of the season for the former flame-throwing UConn closer, but he pitched to a 3.00 ERA and 0.92 WHIP in eight outings in August and put the finishing touches on a four-man no-hitter against Asheville on Thursday.

7. Ben Casparius, RHP, Westport/UConn, Dodgers: Former Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year at Staples was one of the nation’s leaders in strikeouts in his one year at UConn this spring and was picked by the Dodgers in the fifth round in July. He’s currently with the ACL Dodgers Rookie League team.

8. Patrick Winkel, C, Orange/UConn, High-A, Twins: Former Amity High star and Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year returned from Tommy John surgery to post a solid season at UConn this spring, got picked by Minnesota in the ninth round, signed for well over slot and has hit a solid .265 in his first 10 games as a pro.

13. Mason Feole, LHP, UConn, High-A, Padres: Injury-plagued former UConn lefty ace pitched to a 9.00 ERA in 21 relief outings for the TinCaps before returning to the injury list last week.

15. Kyler Fedko, OF, UConn, Low-A, Twins: After hitting over .400 for Huskies this spring, drafted in 12th round by Minnesota and began his career with the Fort Myers Mighty Mussels.

16. P.J. Poulin, LHP, UConn, Double-A, Rockies: Ex-UConn closer struggled in his first few outings with Yard Goats after being promoted from High-A Spokane, but has settled in over the last month as a reliable arm out of the Goats’ bullpen.

19. Patrick Ruotolo, RHP, UConn, Double-A, Giants: Former UConn reliever was 3-1 with a 2.81 ERA in 31 relief outings for Richmond before being placed on the injured list on Monday. Like Wallace, had also closed out a no-hitter earlier this season.

(#1 Mozzicato, #2 Burrows and #10 Milone all former UConn commits as well)

Reaction Score
Is Winkle in High A? Last I saw he was playing for Low A Southeast in Ft. Myers with Kyler Fedko.

Reaction Score
Is Winkle in High A? Last I saw he was playing for Low A Southeast in Ft. Myers with Kyler Fedko.

Both Kyler Fedko and Pat Winkel are in Fort Myers in Low A Ball. Their season runs for another week or so.

By the way, one thing I've mentioned is before is my dislike for the recent reorganization and shrinking that Major League Baseball did to the minor leagues. One thing in that reorganization that really annoys me is how they renamed all the minor leagues. For instance, Fort Myers before this year was in the Florida State League. The identity of the league is now gone, but MLB doesn't care a wit. The renaming and restructuring basically stole all the past history of the minor leagues. But if you are looking to destroy something, removing the connection to the past organizational history is what you do.

Reaction Score
Both Kyler Fedko and Pat Winkel are in Fort Myers in Low A Ball. Their season runs for another week or so.

By the way, one thing I've mentioned is before is my dislike for the recent reorganization and shrinking that Major League Baseball did to the minor leagues. One thing in that reorganization that really annoys me is how they renamed all the minor leagues. For instance, Fort Myers before this year was in the Florida State League. The identity of the league is now gone, but MLB doesn't care a wit. The renaming and restructuring basically stole all the past history of the minor leagues. But if you are looking to destroy something, removing the connection to the past organizational history is what you do.

Thank you. I thought that the following from twitter was incorrect since Pat just joined Fort Meyers.

8. Patrick Winkel, C, Orange/UConn, High-A, Twins: Former Amity High star and Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year returned from Tommy John surgery to post a solid season at UConn this spring, got picked by Minnesota in the ninth round, signed for well over slot and has hit a solid .265 in his first 10 games as a pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom